Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Sedation with propofol  (Read 1396 times)

MsSpaz

Sedation with propofol
« on: February 19, 2018, 02:21:58 AM »

I have to have a hysteroscopy and uterine biopsy, am awaiting a date. My ob/gyn says they will use sedation with propofol. I'd rather no sedation but he said no. He did say they might be willing to do a spinal block but that it is harder to do on overweight people.

One thing that really bothers me about propofol is that apparently it makes you not remember. I do not want to not remember, I want to watch on screen and remember what I saw.  Anyone here have experience with being sedated (not put out) with propofol and did you remember what went on?

Dancinggirl

Re: Sedation with propofol
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 10:16:34 AM »

It will depend on the amount of sedation.
When I had an endoscopy, I actually asked them to give me enough so I wouldn't know anything about it - I hate gagging etc.
When I had a colonoscopy, they gave me just enough to make me feel relaxed, I could see the screen and I remember everything. So I would ask them not to give you too much. I had a uterine scan and biopsy taken in the the gynae's office with no anaesthetic at all - it was uncomfortable but bearable.  Many women would love some sedation for this procedure - you are lucky.  DG x

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 11:11:58 AM »

I think a lot of women would love to "not remember" this procedure as some find it extremely painful although I do understand that you would like to watch it on screen. I'd be guided by your gynae to be honest. Let us know how you get on.

Were you given Propofol Dancinggirl?

Taz x

MsSpaz

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 05:49:21 AM »

I would rather have had it done in clinic, and that was the original plan, but my ob/gyn couldn't see my cervix which is why he's going to do it in the OR under sedation.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 05:33:32 PM »

Hi MsSpaz

I had hysteroscopy and uterine biopsy with nothing - except painkillers an hour beforehand and it was fine - but not sure what the position is if they can't see your cervix. Was this on a scan? If you are very overweight and there are problems doing the procedure then I would follow the expert guidance of your gynaecologist and do what he recommends medically as this is the most important issue here - that the procedure is carried out effectively and safely.

All the best with it :)

Hurdity x