Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Health anxiety due to weird symptoms  (Read 1430 times)

Ambergirl

Health anxiety due to weird symptoms
« on: February 18, 2018, 07:02:51 PM »

So, I've been reading lots of posts trying to calm myself and reassure that I am not about to die immediately. I have been having fewer periods (only 6 last year) and experiencing spotting about a week before and then a few days quite heavy, then a bit of spotting. Didn't bother going to GP as I thought it would be okay and this was normal. Now I have pain in my groin area and have had an x-ray and going for a scan/blood tests over the next couple of weeks hopefully.
I have terrible worries about being full of tumours and tests finding out that I have only days/weeks to live which is haunting me and I don't know what to do about these thoughts. I spoke to a counsellor for CBT last year but this didn't work for me at all. One DR said I should try some mild anti-depressant but I didn't want to be the sort of person who has to take pills. I do have a supportive husband, I enjoy my job but it is stressful. I am 2 stone overweight and haven't been able to get to the gym this year as I had back go into spasm. I also seem to have lots of joint pains, tingling in one of my feet (may be connected to the pain in groin area?) and as I am 51 I can't help but feel it is only going to get worse.
I had a smear test/mammogram towards the end of the year and all were normal.
Sorry for this extremely long post but I would really like some help from ladies who have been through this as all of my friends are in their 30s and I don't have anyone to ask.

Sgtvhilts

Re: Health anxiety due to weird symptoms
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 07:20:01 PM »

Anxiety is horrid. I have had a life long love affair with the thing- since my late teens.
It almost doesn't matter what the focus of the anxiety, whether it be health, money, life etc etc.
The suffer will always focus on one and then the anxiety just fuels the whole process and before you know it you are utterly convinced you have some serious condition.
I call it my spagetti head!
Over the years i've tried most ‘therapies' . It is very personal thing and some stuff work for some, not others
For me SSRI's changed my life- for the better, it just switch my overactive brain down a few notches and help me function. Relaxation therapy is really good. CBT- helpful, couselling- not really- just gave me more to focus on.............but i had to be in a reasonable place to find CBT slightly useful
As for the gym - well why do you want to go ? is it because you enjoy it or is it because you feel you should for whatever reason. My advice, don't do anything that you dislike as it will not work and just add to anxiety with ‘why can't I achieve it thoughts' dont punish yourself.
Anxiety is a really debilitating and unpleasant condition.
Imdo recommend taking the bull by the horn and doing something- once you feel,better you'd wish you'd done it years ago- good luck- you are certainly not alone.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 07:50:17 PM »

Sounds about normal to me.  It's The Change which throws up all kinds of symptoms  >:(.

Browse round.  You'll see that health anxiety can be problematic.    When my Mum turned 70 I was deeply worried that she would die 'cos people do, at 70, don't they: she's 91 now  ::) but I was depressed at the time.

Medication has changed my Life.  From the 1990s.  I didn't want to take ADs but at least DH and I have a Life again. 

As oestrogen levels drop, so muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  These should be eased by taking over-the-counter pain relief as well as gentle exercise.  Brisk walking can stave off osteoporosis and is an over-all well being factor.  Especially now that Spring is Sprunging ;-).  There are several threads about exercise on here: swimming, cycling, walking ......

As levels drop the body may become dry: deep in the ears, nostrils, skin, vagina  :o look out for that 1, 4 me it was like razor blades up there  :o :o.  Appropriate treatment eased symptoms.

Maybe make a note of which symptom you would like to ease first?  Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary useful.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 07:51:14 PM »

I will add that I have suffered panic attacks since age 3.  My GP prescribed betablockas as well as an emergency drug for when anxiety floors me.  Eating every 3 hours helps too, to stop the sudden dip in blood sugar which can cause anxiety surges.  That is every 3 hours, 24/7 ;-)

Ambergirl

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 08:19:51 PM »

Thanks for the advice - I hope that once I get tests I will feel reassured ... until something else makes me panic! I think you are all right that this is part of the 'normal' menopause experience.
I am going back to work tomorrow and hope that keeping busy will make me feel less stressed.

wombat62

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 09:44:39 PM »

Hi

Unfortunately it seems to come with meno territory :( most of us experience this whereas years ago such thoughts wouldn't have even crossed our minds. I think also there are more stories in the news (a certain newspaper is obsessed!) and our fragile brains pick up on this.

Rather than go to the gym which if it's not your thing can be as boring as, you maybe would do better to get out for half an hours brisk walk a day. They say being out and connecting with nature is better for us and a good walk can lift spirits plus fresh air rather than a sweaty gym!   

Hope the tests are okay and will set your mind at rest. Take care...