Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Loestrin anyone?  (Read 1589 times)

Lalb1

Loestrin anyone?
« on: February 12, 2018, 02:47:20 PM »

Just been to the docs and the male locum..again!
He's changed my pill to Loestrin, anyone any experience please?

Dancinggirl

Re: Loestrin anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 04:32:47 PM »

Oh dear!! 

Loestrin is still a BCP with synthetic hormones. What level of oestrogen is in this?  Is it Loestrin 20 or 30?

Whether it will help of not - who knows.  If you are peri meno, then it may not help that much.

Did you ask for Qlaira?  Qlaira has bio identical oestrogen which may be more suitable for you and is now prescribed because it can be helpful in peri meno. You could ring teh surgery to ask for this?  DG x

Lalb1

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 06:23:19 PM »

Cant pick up from the chemist till tomorrow as none in stock but I think I remember seeing 20 on the prescription.
He was quite adamant that it was the best as it's a low dose pill.
I didn't get a chance to ask about the ones I'd been recommended on here as he just talks over me, I started to say I'd been reading up and he shook his head and said well this one is the one we will try. Told me to come back in 2 months to see how it's going.
☹️

But.. now I'm actually registered for online appointments again I'm going to try and book an appointment with either the (equally useless) female GP or the nurse practitioner and see what they have to say. Even if that means taking this new pill for a couple of weeks?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 06:24:58 PM by Lalb1 »

dangermouse

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 09:36:28 PM »

I used Loestrin for a few months when my peri nausea needed intervention. It did work well to suppress my cycle and the Norethisterone in it was always a Progesterone that suited me.

I did also try the Qlaira but the natural oestrogen in it didn't agree with me like the artificial one as it was possibly too potent as closer to the real thing.

With the pill it really is trial and error so give it a try and if not you can use the pill ladders (google will take you to them) to assess the next one to try.