Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Menopace and red clover  (Read 1279 times)

ann58

Menopace and red clover
« on: February 09, 2018, 06:49:05 PM »

I am on hrt but because I am planning to come of it I decided to take Menopace max to help me as I reduce the hrt.
Tonight I accidentally took 2 red clover instead of one. I looked online to see if I should be worried. Now I am even more worried as it says you shouldn't take red clover if you are on hrt. I have been taking it for 2 months now. It didn't have this warning on the box.

Hurdity

Re: Menopace and red clover
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 07:46:34 PM »

It's not going to do you any harm! However because a lot of those herbal supplements contain phyto-oestrogens, being weak oestrogens they can bind to oestrogen receptors but don't allow the full functioning of them so you wouldn't get the full benefit as you would with oestrogen - so they can hinder the effectiveness of oestrogen - well that's my understanding anyway (bit hazy over this!). Best not to take them both together - either do the HRT or the herbal stuff. Why are you coming off HRT?

Hurdity x

ann58

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 07:59:38 PM »

My GP said I have to come off it because I am over 60, have been on it almost 5 years and that greatly increases my chances of breast cancer. The gynecologist who prescribed it had said I could stay on it as long as I want.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 08:09:55 PM »

Have you posted elsewhere about this? I might have commented already! I am mid 60's and still on HRT - unless you are at particular risk of BC due to lifestyle, family or medical history then go with your gynae's recommendations. Did s/he not write to your GP? Please dont be forced to come off it if there is no reason to do so. This is very outdated thinking. What type of HRT are you taking? You could take along the NICE Guidelines - there are other women in this position  and we are all trying to help each other on here - to educate our GPs!

Hurdity x

ann58

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 08:33:22 PM »

Yes I posted about coming off hrt a few months ago. I am going to see my gp on Monday to ask for a referral to the gynecologist. Last time I saw him was private but I can't afford it this time. My gp has already changed me to a lower dose oestrogen patch (I have mirina coil for progesterone)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 10:53:49 AM by ann58 »