Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Aches and prednisone  (Read 1668 times)

Lalb1

Aches and prednisone
« on: February 15, 2018, 07:36:59 AM »

After having the flu a couple of weeks ago I've been left with a rattly chest, having asthma and Sarcoidosis the docs have prescribed me steroids (again!)

Anyway.. have just realised aswell as helping my weakened(docs description) chest to feel better, I've actually stopped aching in so much of my body. I'd been having terrible aches in my arms,elbow and the tops of my legs.
Will be interesting to see if the aches come back once the course of steroids are finished.
Wondered if steroids are part of a plan for peri symptoms or is it just a fluke I'm having some relief from them?

Scampi

Re: Aches and prednisone
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 08:18:38 AM »

Steroids ease inflammation, so it's no surprise that 'general' aches and pains are helped by the course you are taking for your chest.  It's also very possible that the effect on your joints will be longer-term - just like the steroids will give your chest chance to heal, they'll help your joints to heal too.  Inflammation is a response to injury and wear, but it also interferes with healing - kind of a vicious circle.

14 months ago, I had a bad flare of osteoarthritis in my thumb joint - could hardly move my thumb and the joint swelled to the size of a Ping-Pong ball.  I had a steroid injection into the joint and have had few problems since - the steroid allowed the joint to heal.

I can't imagine that steroids would be a go-to treatment for peri symptoms (if someone knows otherwise, I'll stand corrected) - the possible side effects would outweigh their use as anything but a treatment for acute flares of inflammatory disease.

Enjoy the relief, and remember it may last long after the steroid course is finished.

Kathleen

Re: Aches and prednisone
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 09:04:06 AM »

Hello Lalb1.

As you know asthma is an inflammatory disease and steroids work by reducing all inflammation in the body which explains why your joints feel better. Years ago I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis which is an inflammatory bowel disease and was told that when you have one auto immune condition you are more likely to develop others. Could your body pains be due to arthritis rather than the meno?  I've done a lot of reading and I  believe that  chronic inflammation is our enemy and I've learned that one way to help ourselves is by eating a plant based diet which is naturally anti inflammatory and also avoid animal products which contain proteins that encourage inflammation. There is a lot of information on line if you want to do some research on the subject.

Wishing you well.

K.