Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Very emotional newby  (Read 2902 times)

mummy74

Very emotional newby
« on: February 07, 2018, 06:05:52 PM »

Hi everyone, I'm so glad I found this forum.
I've been feeling very lonely in my peri menopause. Looking back over the last 2 years I can pinpoint when it all started. My symptoms have been so bad that 18 months ago I was signed off sick from work for 3 months with stress and anxiety. Then being signed off made me feel more stressed and anxious so I quit my job. To make things even worse, when I did get another job they withdrew the offer of employment when they found out about my sick leave from my previous employer. I was totally humiliated when they called to tell me and now I've totally lost my confidence with regards to going back to work. I've been up and down since then but the last month has been the worst with regards to my emotions...I can't stop crying! I don't know who's body I'm in but it's not mine. I was taking 20mg citalopram for 7 days once a month but that doesn't seem to work anymore. I'm trying natural remedies as of last week. Menopace plus, Black Cohosh and maximum strength St Johns Wart, I'm trying to avoid HRT and Antidepressants. I'm hoping to regain my confidence just so I can get back to work as sitting at home is not helping.
Any advice on any of the above will be greatly appreciated 😊

Dotty

Re: Very emotional newby
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 06:35:57 PM »

Talk to your doctor about HRT.  It's the only thing that will sort you out.  I wish I'd taken HRT far sooner than I did.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 06:43:04 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM

HRT might help - don't be frightened of using HRT, it has many benefits including protecting your heart and bones for the long term!!!

Do read up all the info on this site.  Get clued up on HRT, write down all your symptoms and questions and pop to the GP to ask about possibly trying HRT.  It would be worth trying to see if it helps. I'd ask fro Femoston 1.10 first as it has a kinder progesterone and suits many women very well.
I've never heard of anyone taken Citalopram for just 7 days each month - I doubt that would do anything!!!!  It's meant to be taken every day for a few weeks to actually make a difference.  However if your low mood and anxiety started when peri meno began, then it is hormone related and HRT would be the appropriate treatment, not an SSRI like Citalopram!!!!   

There is nothing wrong with trying all these natural remedies ( I've tried everything) but quality of life is very important and sadly very few of the herbals etc will actually do anything - they just cost a lot. 
Browse around and get clued up.  DG x

Wendyshort

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 06:47:53 PM »

Just an idea, but have you thought about doing some voluntary work?

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 07:04:48 PM »

Hello mummy4 and welcome to the forum.

Many of us recognise your situation so you are not alone in your suffering. If your GP is worth their salt they will see that your problems are due to a change in hormones and discuss appropriate treatment.

Wishing you well and please keep posting.

K.

mummy74

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 07:08:02 PM »

Thank you everyone for your advice. Volunteering is a good idea, it would help with getting my confidence back I'm sure.
 My only concern with HRT is I have a family history of breast cancer, I've had abnormal cells on a smear test before and I suffer with migraines. I thought that maybe I wasn't a suitable candidate for HRT, but I will speak to my gp after I've given the herbal remedies a month or so.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 09:06:02 AM »

Mummy74

Has your mother or sister had BC? - it has to be a close relative with oestrogen receptive BC for there to be an increased risk for you. If you suffer with migraines then transdermal HRT would be a good option for you.
Actually diet and exercise is your best natural remedy. Eat small meals often with less fat and sugar.  Good exercise (regular brisk walking or swimming) can be excellent to improve health and mood. Learning relaxation techniques e.g. Mindfulness is also very helpful.  If HRT is not an option, then looking at lifestyle choices is your best alternative medicine. We may think that we eat well and get enough exercise but it never does any harm to reevaluate this.
You are doing a lot to help yourself, you are clearly a capably women - you will bounce back I'm sure. DG x

Bring me Sunshine

• Menopause really isnt that bad. said no woman ever
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 09:55:16 PM »

Hi there mummy74 i would say most of us have been were you are now and the advice you have been given above is superb.  Ive copied my first post for you to read to show you are not alone and I am so well now, I never thought I would survive.   This is it........

Hello everyone ( i had no idea the menopause could do this-no one ever said and no mum as she died in her 50s from breast cancer).

A quick update last year was a year from hell.  Started feeling depressed despite being on sertraline(i had started that 4 years previous due to losing my dad-and they just kept me on it as I was so well).  I was 51 dr wouldnt recognise a link with menopause and took me down more anti depressants, physchiatrist until I was diagnosed treatment resistant.  I read about Carol Vorderman & other celebrities & initially started on premarin, did nothing, moved to elleste solo(as I have the mirena coil for progestorone).

I was finally referred to the wonderful ladies at the menopause clinic at the JRadcliffe hospital and when they upped the elleste solo tablet to 3mg it took a couple of weeks but I was well again. I must add that I am still on the anti depressant venaflaxine, (that had done nothing until 3mg of elleste solo.)  The ladies at the clinic said that if I was not absorbing enough oestrogen then no anti depressants would work.

After a horrendous 8 months I went back to work, and felt like a member of the human race again.  All was well for 2 months then I started getting bad migraines(3 in 2 weeks) after never suffering, plus I had started to feel a bit flat again.

The clinic took me off the tablets and put me on oestrogel 2 pumps a day.  That was 3 weeks ago and nothing has changed, they wanted me to give it 6 weeks but im so desperate I added a 3rd pump a few days ago.  I feel like spreading it on like body lotion if it could only work like that.  My fear as well as the lowness is work, due to go back after xmas holidays on Monday and now thinking of quitting as there is no way i will go off sick again(they have been amazing with me) but the lack of confidence, self esteem, teariness, forever saying to my husband I will never get better, cancelling things not planning ahead, no joy in anything has returned with a vengeance.

I have emailed the clinic(in wed/thus) and when my boys go back to school will go to the gp just to see if there is anything else I can be doing.

No wonder no one told you about the Menopause and it was like a big secret totally took me by surprise.

If there is a magic cure I will let you all know.

Keep posting as it does make you feel less isolated.  Most people I speak to tell me they "sailed through" with my new found rage I could punch them.

That was my first post and I have done more since then.  I am now on 4 pumps of oestrogel (moved from the tablets due to the migraines) and merina coil for progestorone.  I am well.  Enjoy life again, plan for the future, confidence returned, self esteem no anxiety.  None of this would have happened without oestrogen for me.

Do get some advice and please dont beat yourself up about work.  You will return to doing something again when you are well and feel better xxx

shashank16997

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 01:42:44 PM »

Hi, Mummy74 kindly check out this below list home remedies.

Changing up your diet to include more soy products may ease your menopause symptoms. Soy contains a plant-based estrogen called isoflavones, so it can help you adjust to the smaller amounts of estrogen that your body is now producing.

Ground ginseng root can be consumed as a tea or taken in a capsule form. It's readily available at most drugstores, some supermarkets, and online. Ginseng has been used as a sedative in Asian countries for centuries. While there's no evidence that ginseng can treat hot flashes, the soothing effects of ginseng have been found to improve the quality and duration of your sleep

http://www.crazyhealthplan.com/
http://bit.ly/2FDZ5SA
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 01:46:17 PM by shashank16997 »

Snowball29

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 03:28:16 PM »

Whilst I'm so sorry to hear that many ladies are suffering & how debilitating the menopause can be I'm so pleased to know that I'm not alone. I feel as though I can't be bothered with anything at the moment. I have a history of depression, triggered by major life time events that I had no control over....but now at 51, mortgage free, working part time & with a lovely, caring partner of 7 years I feel emotionally at my lowest....I'm having the most horrendous hot flushes (never, ever thought that it would be like this...) I can't sleep, experiencing joint pain, loss of libido, irritability & exhaustion. I'm actually off sick from work today after a rather busy Mothering Sunday weekend (it was my day too...but ended up cooking & clearing up after everyone else...whilst 'flushing' through the entire process...)
I've just joined this site & have probably spent the best hour reading all the messages & realising that I'm not going mad...it's the menopause  :hapij: whoopee
I've now made an appointment to see my GP & whilst I'd never thought about HRT , I'm seriously considering this option ...

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 03:45:14 PM »

:welcomemm: