Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Loss of focus...  (Read 1462 times)

Kas

Loss of focus...
« on: January 24, 2018, 05:13:41 PM »

I seemed to be unable to focus properly on anything at the moment.Flitting from one thing to another, short attention span, really high and then down in the depths, all in a very short space of time. Yesterday my partner asked me why I had stopped communicating with him and I couldn't give him an answer as I hadn't been aware that I was doing it,but it tipped me over the edge and then i was crying, but i didn't know why.
Saw the doc. this afternoon and he has upped my meds. to 40mg a day for 2 months,then I have to go back for a review.

Am open to suggestions on how I can help re-centre myself .
Kas

Roseneath

Re: Loss of focus...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 12:52:41 PM »

Hi Kas. Just to say I totally agree with your post; could have written it myself. I have had waves of this distraction, racing mind over the last few years. I find they come and go and stay for around 1-2 weeks. Mentioned it to the doc once as I was convinced it was early onset dementia. It's very common apparently. It will lift and I find thinking about it makes it worse.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 01:30:21 PM »

Yep.  I start a chore around the house which is important, see something else to be done and vie off to do that so I have piles, waiting to be finished.  Even the washing up  :-\

Roseneath

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 06:00:21 PM »

Kas. Just a little things but I find going for walks (on my own) helps.  Sometimes I just go round the block after dinner for 15 minutes. Just being out in the fresh air changes your perspective and you can try and focus on the noises, breathing, steps until your brain calms down a bit. ( I find once I'm home I return to feeling all over the shop but at least you get a break and outside I feel more ' normal'.

Kas

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 08:47:03 PM »

Thanks Rosenheath and CLKD. I have started going for a 10 min jog first thing every morning now, which helps me start the day with a clearer head.I have a notepad by the bed, just to get the 'nagging' thoughts out of my head, when I can't sleep,
and its nice to know that I'm not alone in my 'non-focused scattyness' .

wombat62

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 10:04:03 PM »

Focus, what is this word you speak of?

I have that t-shirt! I think I'm worse when I have too much to do, as I get a bit overwhelmed and my brain just seems want to do the opposite! Like getting distracted by forums and social media.....

I seem to be better with big things to do rather than a whole list of small fiddly things but then I think I've always been like that so maybe it's nothing too new!