Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Holocaust Remembrance Day  (Read 2305 times)

Shadyglade

Holocaust Remembrance Day
« on: January 27, 2018, 10:12:57 AM »

Surely a day when we should all consider the enormity of what happened and how we should not allow anything like it to happen again.  I found this poem by Martin Niemoller which highlights our individual responsibility to be watchful, and speak up when we need to.

First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out -
because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the communists
because I was not a communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me -
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 12:57:22 PM by Shadyglade »

Dancinggirl

Re: Holocaust Remembrance Day
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 10:26:12 AM »

Ethnic cleansing is still very much with us - we must learn from history and never forget.
Good poem.  DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 12:07:40 PM »

Tnx. Shadyglade.  I often have that in the back of my mind when I see a child that appears lost.  Himself would ignore it, whereas I step in , regardless of what the reaction of parent/guardian might be.  I couldn't live with myself if a child that I had thought lost ...........

I read a lot of books about the 2nd WW right now.  I read a couple about the 2 Secretaries to Hitler which were really interesting.  One would think/assume that those in close contact would be aware of what was happening but they were in fact, almost in the dark.  They both thought 'a lot' about the man who apaparently had charm and charisma.  They were gradually indoctrinated and if he thought they were getting to know too much he would move the whole Office Staff to another area.  At a moments' notice. 

I have several books here about Camps.  Ravensbruck in particular, still to read.  About how people did survive.  How they survived. 

We don't learn from History.  Ever.  Go back far enough and .......... it's about terrirtory in a lot of cases, even me - if someone parks outside my house and doesn't visit with me  >:(.  If they came to ask I wouldn't have a problem but they leave their vehicle outside .........

It's about control.  People who are fearful get angry .......... genetic?

Alicea

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 10:35:21 AM »

Unfortunately still as relevant as ever! I need to memorise this, I'm always trying to remember it to tell people. It's very powerful x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 02:51:08 PM »

I recently saw it quoted in a book I read "Stolen Innocence"