Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Macular Degeneration  (Read 4131 times)

Cassie

Macular Degeneration
« on: February 12, 2014, 10:34:13 AM »

My mom has been diagnosed with this recently and is really upset. She was hoping that it would something more treatable as in cataracts. The Dr basically sent her home telling her that nothing can be done. The optometrist said much the same and advised a strong reading lamp and a magnifying glass. This amazes me as I would have thought, in this day and age that the reading specs could be magnified but optometrist said not so. I am trying to keep my mom positive but it is a knock for her as she enjoys reading and writing and even the telly is now becoming difficult. Does anyone have relatives with this horrible disease and are you able to offer any pearls of wisdom, thankyou lovely ladies, feel like all I ever seem to do nowadays, is to come on here to fret about one or other of my relatives but thankyou for always being so supportive, it means a lot.. x

Dancinggirl

Re: Macular Degeneration
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 10:49:40 AM »

You poor mum. I'd do some research on the net.  I do know of a couple of people with Macular Degeneration and the outcome is not good.  Unfortunately it is not helped with glasses but I think there is a treatment involving regular injections but I think this needs to be done very early on to be of help.  Macular Degeneration is one of the main reasons eye tests are so vital as you get older - early detection is key.  I believe Judy Dench has got it and now has to have people read her scripts to her and help her learn them.
Not much help I'm afraid.  i do think there seems to be an attitude that once you get to a certain age (over 80) eyesight is not that important!!!!!
DG xxx

Cassie

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 11:08:13 AM »

Thx DG, I have had a bit of a read and yes, sadly, seems to be the case, over 80 and they are not really that worried! I have read that a good multivit and anti oxidant can slow the progress, so will look @ that so long and help her along best we can, hers is the dry degeneration, so the injections will sadly not help, but thankyou for responding, it is greatly appreciated. x

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 11:22:34 AM »

My FIL developed it in his late 70s. Only reason we found out was after he'd had a fall at home. Once he'd been treated for fall, he went into a care home & they mentioned problems with his sight. Hubby took him for eye test & optician told us nothing can be done for this condition. 

Make sure there is nothing at home which could trip her up, like loose rugs, low tables etc. Can't suggest much else I'm afraid.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 12:02:41 PM »

There is a UK Macular group / web-site.  My Mum has this, she does well with only half an eye  ::) - magnifying glasses, regular appt.s with the opticians who have recommended that they can do something with her reading glasses  :-\

There is dry and wet which condition has she been diagnosedwith?

ariadne

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 01:18:55 PM »

My MIL has this condition - I cant remember if its wet or dry but one of them, you can have injections into the eye  :o to help prevent it worsening.

She asked me to research it when she was first diagnosed and  I read that taking supplements of Lutein was helpful. She did take these (still does) and she really does think that this helped delay the condition from worsening as in subsequent eye examinations, she was told that there was even a slight improvement in her vision. Whether it was down to the Lutein or not can't be proved of course.

Stronger glasses don't usually help because the vision deteriorates in the centre, leaving blind spots in other areas. Peripheral vision remains unaffected.

My MIL joined a local Macular Group which has been extremely helpful. There are talks on all aspects of the condition and lots of advise on how to make life easier. My MIL has taken up many of these tips - she has a floor standing LED spotlight over her armchair, she joined the library and has their large print books, she has an LED torch that stands on a table which she takes out to restaurants so she can read the menus. She loves her computer so I got her a keyboard with extra large keys in yellow and black which is easier to see when you have Macular Degeneration.

Ariadne xx

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 01:19:55 PM »

:thankyou:

Rowan

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 02:04:46 PM »

Cassie

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 07:33:55 PM »

Thankyou everyone for this info. She has the dry type so sadly, not treatable but will explore all options xx

mazzy

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 10:29:58 PM »

Hi cassie

my Brother was diagnosed with it a couple of years ago but luckily his was found early.  He was told that as he got older his eyesight would get a lot worse.

He was advised to take Vitamin A supplements and given something to keep his eyes moist, which he did and his eyes seem ok at the moment although he has to keep a check with the Doctors, Opticians and has his glasses changed regular.

Hope your Mom will be ok too

mazzy

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 07:22:18 AM »

Sorry to read this Cassie. My mother in law got a lot of support from the RNIB and it has taken quite a few years for her to really become affected. It is a horrible condition to have. Is your mum a smoker as this can make the condition worse?

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 11:07:52 AM »

A few weeks ago my Mum shouted "I do not have anything wrong with my eyes.  I never had macular ...... ".  We were travelling in our car and DH and I both jumped.  Don't know what prompted that response.  I pointed out that she at the time of diagnosis, (about 4 years previous) she had joined the appropriate groups and societies and she became quite nasty. "I never had a diagnosis Dear!"

It came to mind in the early hours, don't know why  :-\ but I expect she told us the diagnosis in order to 'be made a fuss of'.