Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Smoking  (Read 13115 times)

kazy68

Smoking
« on: January 28, 2018, 04:53:27 PM »

Hi all, well after 30 years of smoking I have decided to quit, mainly due to having a better quality of life and another reason is my mum, we recently found out she has copd and she is suffering with her breathing a lot, she is a social smoker and some days doesn't have any, but seeing her struggle to catch her breath sometimes has really scared me,.
So on Friday evening I decided enough was enough, i feel I am a heavy smoker 20 sometimes more a day and i feel its getting out of hand.
So got up yesterday morning and 2 hours late had a cigarette  :-\ few hours later another  :'( and at 4pm another, BUT as of 4pm today I have done my first 24 hous without 1.
I know it's early days and 24 hours is nothing in the big scheme of things but I feel so proud of myself and hubby keeps telling me I am doing great in am using a vape at the minute so I'm not feeling to bad, here's hoping that I can stick to it.
Wish me luck  ; :)

Karen
Xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Smoking
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 04:59:27 PM »

I do wish you luck.  If all else fails, get help from the NHS?  Don't deny yourself initially, if you want a drag ........ also, some people find that changing their habits as to when they would light up, helpful: i.e. after a meal, in the Pub..

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 05:13:00 PM »

Kazy68 - it's the best thing you can do for your future quality of life.
Why not put all the money you would normally spend on cigarettes in a box and then treat yourself to something special.
Good luck. DGx

kazy68

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 05:45:33 PM »

Thank you for replies ladies,
CLKD I won't deny myself I have 5 ciggies in a box in a cupboard along with all clean ashtrays, if I really feel the need to light up believe me I will lol, I do need to change habits after meal times is hard atm but I know I will get there, i think it's different when you want to do something.
DG I know it will be better for me health wise sounds daft but I feel I am already breathing better, as for the money I will save oh my days £310 per month at nearly £10 per pack I will have a healthy body and a healthy purse lol.
Thank you for replies and encouragement ladies.

Karen
Xxx

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 07:40:05 PM »

Also - get your clothes cleaned.  Because smoke clings to fabrics ;-).  Perhaps keep a 'kit' for when you want a ciggie>?  to change into B4 your have a puff.  Eventually the effort of getting changed/back may well help you smoke less and less  ;)

4meSons

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 08:46:14 PM »

Well done kazy
I've been stopped a year and it's all down to my faithful vape x

Annie0710

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 10:35:03 PM »

Well done ! I stopped suddenly 5.5 years ago not long after I started feeling dreadful with meno symptoms.  I stopped cold turkey from 20+ a day to zero (never done it before on willpower alone)

I nearly caved in after 8 months at a bbq with alcohol but a friend gave me her ecig instead of a real one and I've used them ever since.  It's rare I get coughs since stopping x

ellie

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 09:26:38 AM »

Try putting your finished tab ends in a jar with a lid,  and when you feel like a cigarette ,take the lid off the jar and have a good sniff.........bet you won't want that cigarette then.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 12:44:00 PM »

Good idea, also you will see exactly how many you smoke ;-).  Also, remember how much Tax you pay to the Government of the day - my FinL began smoking whilst a Prisoner of War in order to stave off hunger, he developed a cough 20 years later and stopped! This was a man who turned the drawers out looking for 'tabs' when he was out of smokes. 

kazy68

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 01:13:53 PM »

Thank you so much for replies and encouragement ladies, some great advice too, so far so good, not touched a fag, the thought of having the woozy head if I have one is putting me off on it's own lol, don't like the feeling of being spaced out, got the vape to hand as and when I need it, had a bit of a wobbly last night but got through it, I feel determined to do this never tried quitting before so wasn't expecting to go through different phases of how I feel.
Onwards  and upwards nearly 48 hours smoke free.

Karen
Xxx

Daisydot

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 01:21:43 PM »

Hi kazy68 I used to say if I could do without a fag for even half a day especially that morning one I'd stop.well that was 34 years ago and like you after my first few hours without I was adamant I wouldn't go down that road again and never did and I was a pretty heavy smoker.My first year I had lots of coughs and sinus but that was probably my system having a clean out lol.youve beaten the first trial of that half day without so keep on,you'll smash it and never look back.well done you xx

kazy68

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 02:19:41 PM »

Thank you daisydot and a massive well done and congrats to you  :tulips: 
I'm just getting over a chest infection so I've been coughing a lot,, today I have been coughing a bit more but I know it is down to no fags I will battle through.

Karen
Xxx

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 02:23:40 PM »

Reflex cough?

Little steps. 

kazy68

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2018, 01:39:43 PM »

Day 6 still  no ciggies can't believe how well it's going, I make cakes and have had a few to do this week it has helped but the odd times when I sit back after doing some things like covering cakes with fondant, decorating them, making flowers ECT are the times I normally go out for a fag but I haven't, I feel like the craving for one is fading, like CLKD said changing habits has worked well for me  :) :) one happy bunny here.

Karen
Xxx

Daisydot

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 01:40:39 PM »

Well done you've done great don't let it beat you now.xx
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5