Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: GP Visit Today - Anaemia Update.  (Read 1371 times)

Kathleen

GP Visit Today - Anaemia Update.
« on: January 19, 2018, 04:56:24 PM »

Hello ladies.

I thought I would offer an update for anyone who may be having similar difficulties.

I saw my GP today to discuss the blood test results that I collected on Monday and I have been prescribed Ferrous Sulphate iron tablets to treat iron deficiency. My Serum Ferritin is 8.4ug/L and the normal range is 10.0 - 291 meaning my stores of iron are very low however my Haemoglobin etc is fine. Although I am in remission atm my diagnosis of Ulcerative Colitis means I'm  being referred back to the IBD clinic and may be offered an iron infusion.

I've been doing some research and reading all your comments and it seems that both anaemia and the menopause can cause  anxiety, irritability, lethargy and palpitations. Unfortunately iron tablets can also bring on  these symptoms plus lots of digestive issues so they are to be used with caution for people with gastric illnesses which explains why I may need an infusion instead. Yet another case of the treatment being as bad as the disease! Needless to say I'm afraid to start the tablets plus I've been feeling nauseous recently which could be due to hormones, the newly discovered iron deficiency or even the beginning of an Ulcerative Colitis flare.  Sometimes you just can't win can you!

Sorry for the ramble  but I wanted to keep you informed especially the ladies who were kind enough to post their comments earlier.

Take care everyone.

K.

Salad

Re: GP Visit Today - Anaemia Update.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 05:32:49 PM »

Thanks for updating  :)

Good luck with the treatment Kathleen - it is a hard decision to take something with the potential to make you feel worse, but would the longtime improvement help you take that step?

Dotty

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 06:11:56 PM »

Hi Kathleen

Thanks for the update.  I've been thinking about you.

What did you decide about HRT?

Annie0710

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 06:43:38 PM »

Your level is very low, it's a strange range like the B12 one,  my gp once said to me ideally ferritin needs to be 60-80

I would start onthose tablets if I were you and hopefully start feeling better x

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 08:51:42 PM »

Hi Kathleen - thanks for updating us. I know I always say this but I thoroughly recommend Floradix herbal liquid iron tonic as it is easier on the digestion than tablets and may be better absorbed - although I dont know what the position is with ulcerative colitis and whether tablets are better for everything? I used this in my first pregnancy when anaemic and still keep a bottle to take now and again (about once a week) just to top up iron stores. Hope you soon feel better.... :)

Hurdity x

Yammy1

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 09:32:42 PM »

Hurdity is Floradix available over the country, and is it really easy on stomach, becaus I defineatly need iron but can't tolerate tablets

Daisydot

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 10:41:01 PM »

Holland and Barrett yammy1 £10.99 you'll see it online.xx