Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Underactive thyroid and extended colds/throat infections  (Read 6877 times)

Artmouse

Re: Underactive thyroid and extended colds/throat infections
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 12:56:40 PM »

Any hormonal upheaval as in puberty pregnancy or menopause can cause thyroid havoc ::)
I have been underactive since I was in my 20's but during peri meno my results were all over the place and for 4 years I was consantly having to change my doseage. this is why it is doubly important that a close check is kept on levels at this time.

My thyroid levels were being checked once a year, sometimes missing the odd one, and I was ill so often.  I assumed that I'd be contacted automatically when a test was due by the GP but it doesn't happen that way, you need to prompt them etc.  Now I make a note that it needs to be checked every 6 months.
I have had regular  checks but my dosage hasn't been changed for years (apart from a brief period when it was lowered to my surprise). I have just made a new appointment and will ask to be tested again. It is a different GP whom I like so far so I hope she will be more helpful than the one who tried to reduce my dosage. She didn't inspire my confidence at all!

Fingers crossed for you :)  Meno is enough to deal with as it is!

Katejo

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 06:19:46 PM »

Any hormonal upheaval as in puberty pregnancy or menopause can cause thyroid havoc ::)
I have been underactive since I was in my 20's but during peri meno my results were all over the place and for 4 years I was consantly having to change my doseage. this is why it is doubly important that a close check is kept on levels at this time.

My thyroid levels were being checked once a year, sometimes missing the odd one, and I was ill so often.  I assumed that I'd be contacted automatically when a test was due by the GP but it doesn't happen that way, you need to prompt them etc.  Now I make a note that it needs to be checked every 6 months.
I have had regular  checks but my dosage hasn't been changed for years (apart from a brief period when it was lowered to my surprise). I have just made a new appointment and will ask to be tested again. It is a different GP whom I like so far so I hope she will be more helpful than the one who tried to reduce my dosage. She didn't inspire my confidence at all!

Fingers crossed for you :)  Meno is enough to deal with as it is!
Thanks Artmouse. My Meno issues have been mild compared  to many experiences read here but I want to check whether Meno has affected my thyroid.

Katejo

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 06:24:36 PM »

I used to an advisor for a thyroid charity.  BAsically the nhs endocrinologists don't see straight forward hypothyroid patients only complicated thyroid problems and sadly us hypo's are not considered complicated!
The most important advice we gave out was that Tsh and freeT4 levels are checked every 6months and the patient asks for the actual results and the reference range of the lab doing the test and if the patient finds they are borderline too high ( hypo) or bordeline too low ( hyper) they see their Dr and don't be fobbed off with " within normal range".
Alot of Drs surgeries only test every year or two years which is appalling and they only do the tsh test but we found that if the patient was even mildy informed and asked questions they were tested as requested and had both tests done.
One thing crossed my mind is that if people have any swelilng of the thyroid then this can cause loss of voice and constant sore throats and even difficulty swallowing that can be assumed is due to viruses etc especially if the swelling is behind the thyroid so not always palpable on examination.
Countrybumpkin. Are you familiar with the British Thyroid Foundation? I knew about Thyroid UK but I found BTF by chance today. I think I am going to join for a year to find out more. Here is their web address http://www.btf-thyroid.org/

Artmouse

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2017, 02:59:07 PM »

Think I spoke too soon in this thread  :(  Over the past 2 months I've had two bad illness bouts - heavy colds going to chest infections and feeling very weak and wiped out.  Most recent bout started 3 weeks ago - am still feeling weak and ill with what started as a cold! 

My 6 monthly thyroid test is due this month.  Does anyone know what is the most you can request on a test?  I know they test TSH and T4.  Is it worth them looking at T3 and thyroid antibodies as well?

Artmouse

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2017, 01:34:47 PM »

Anyone?

Katejo

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2018, 07:21:12 PM »

Anyone?
Sorry Artmouse ! I have only just seen your question. i think the NHS is very reluctant to test anything other than T4 and TSH. Have you ever read the discussions on the Patient Access forum? This comes up a lot. https://patient.info/forums/discuss/browse/hypothyroidism-1050
I have never had T3  tested.

Since September I have been on a slightly lower dose of Levothyroxine (175 mcg instead of 200 mcg which I had been on for years). I think I may have just started to feel an improvement in my aching calves and soles of feet. i am not 100% sure of this yet but it has seemed better in the past couple of weeks. I hope it will continue. I have a GP appointment next week so will find out the results of my last blood tests in early December. i haven't been called in to see them so probably no big news.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 07:24:16 PM by Katejo »

Artmouse

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2018, 04:54:54 PM »

I ended up getting a full thyroid test done privately and it showed Thyroglobin antibodies way too high so I probably have Hashimoto's.  OMG I have been so ill!! - from mid-end November and only just feeling better now.  My TSH level had gone underactive again.  GP upped the dose to 75mcg with another test due mid Jan.  I think it may need to go up to 100mcg but will see. 

In the meantime I have decided to take charge of my health as this is wrecking my life pretty much.  Joined a very informative thyroid forum, have gone gluten free to see if it helps and have asked for all vitamin levels to be tested to see if I have any deficiencies which might affect immunity etc.

Katejo

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2018, 12:06:58 PM »

I ended up getting a full thyroid test done privately and it showed Thyroglobin antibodies way too high so I probably have Hashimoto's.  OMG I have been so ill!! - from mid-end November and only just feeling better now.  My TSH level had gone underactive again.  GP upped the dose to 75mcg with another test due mid Jan.  I think it may need to go up to 100mcg but will see. 

In the meantime I have decided to take charge of my health as this is wrecking my life pretty much.  Joined a very informative thyroid forum, have gone gluten free to see if it helps and have asked for all vitamin levels to be tested to see if I have any deficiencies which might affect immunity etc.
Hi Artmouse   i got my thyroid test results on Friday and the GP was happy with them so my dosage remains at 175mcg. I have had a mild cold which started before Christmas. It hasn't got significantly worse but it won't go away either. Which thyroid forum have you joined please?

Artmouse

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2018, 05:37:56 PM »

Hi
I joined Thyroid UK which is a section on Healthunlocked.com

Katejo

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2018, 06:03:13 PM »

Hi
I joined Thyroid UK which is a section on Healthunlocked.com
I have seen this one but haven't tried it.

Artmouse

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2018, 01:48:22 PM »

I've found it really useful and people very helpful.  I'm even thinking now that all the fatigue/illness/anxiety/insomnia symptoms I've had have been more to do with undermedicated hypo thyroid than menopause!  Now I really don't know! 

Katejo

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2018, 04:28:49 PM »

I've found it really useful and people very helpful.  I'm even thinking now that all the fatigue/illness/anxiety/insomnia symptoms I've had have been more to do with undermedicated hypo thyroid than menopause!  Now I really don't know!
I had many infections, particularly throat/chest infections during my 30's/early 40's. I never associated them with thyroid  but, after I had my goitre removed in 2005,  they disappeared. i said this to an endo doctor at the time but they dismissed any link between them.  I think there was a link. More recently I have had more of these again. I am off work with a sore throat/cold today.

Artmouse

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2018, 09:34:46 PM »

Yes, GP dismissed it when I asked if there was a link between hypothyroidism and immune problems.  Apparently though hypo can cause problems with absorbing vitamins and minerals properly so having a thyroid issue has a knock on effect.

It may be worth requesting your GP to do a full blood count or even paying for a private blood test if you can afford it - I did this as I've been desperate to get some answers (nearly losing my job) and it turned out my Ferritin level is low which can cause immune problems.

Kathleen

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2018, 02:19:34 PM »

Hello ladies.

I thought I'd add that I had some blood tests looking for thyroid problems and it turns out that my thyroid is okay but my ferritin is low so  it's obviously worth getting both checked if you can.

Take care ladies.

K.
Pages: 1 [2]