Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Healthy Eating?  (Read 2525 times)

getting_old

Healthy Eating?
« on: January 15, 2018, 09:20:41 PM »

In recent months I've tried to eat a fairly healthy diet, focusing on getting my 5 a day, reducing sugar intake, etc. and I have had problems with my bowels being loose. Last week circumstances dictated that I had to eat junk / fast food and had hardly any fruit, veg or any healthy stuff and my bowels were perfect!! Now back to healthy eating and my stomach has started to feel rough so I'm seriously wondering why I'm bothering. Has anyone else found this?

Taz2

Re: Healthy Eating?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 09:29:31 PM »

Yes - I'm afraid so! I have to steer clear of lots of fruit and veg nowadays and I really loved it. I have IBS (urgency) and the worst culprits for me are bananas, oranges, celery, peas, beans and cauliflower. Sometimes potatoes can do it too. I always have to think about whether I have an early journey the next morning! It's a pain when we are told to eat these things. I do use buscopan which helps if things are a bit difficult in the morning before setting off for work.

Taz x

getting_old

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 09:50:06 PM »

Sorry to read that. It's a nightmare as I need to loose weight, and that isn't going to happen if the only thing I can eat is a Big Mac!!! At first I thought it was my body getting used to the fruit and veg, but it continued. I've read that broccoli can be problematic, but just bought cauliflower rice to try instead of normal rice as it's supposed to be better  ???  I'm also wondering if I could be having problems with milk / dairy as I've never liked milk but am trying to eat more cereal. It's a minefield  :'(

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 09:56:05 PM »

Hello getting_old and Taz2.

I know how it feels.

I found out today that I'm anaemic and need to take iron tablets which will upset my bowels  and as I have Ulcerative Colitis this could bring on a flare, making me really ill. The irony is that I gave up eating meat and dairy because they are pro inflammatory and can make UC worse. Plus I'm feeling nauseous so I don't really want to eat much of anything.  Beyond fed up with it all now.

Oh well, tomorrow us another day!

Wishing you both well.

K.

wombat62

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 10:02:39 PM »

Hi there

Research FODMAPs which are sugars in food, if you are sensitive then even the healthiest fruit and veg will give you bloating and tummy troubles.

For people with IBS getting too much fibre can also be a problem which is ironic considering the first sign of tummy troubles and they say eat more fibre!

Try swapping to nut, rice milks or Goat's milk causes less issues. The only thing is I can't find low-fat Goat's milk where I live so I buy almond with the added vitamins. You can get dairy free yoghurts but I've not yet found one with added vitamins/calcium. Stay away from soy products as these can cause some tummy troubles.

Hope it settles down soon!

getting_old

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 10:27:46 PM »

Sorry to hear that Kathleen. I was recently diagnosed as anaemic but can't take iron tablets so the doctor told me I had to eat lots of leafy greens, liver, etc. Of course it's the leafy greens that seem to be upsetting my stomach - can't win  :'(

Daisydot

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 10:39:24 PM »

Can I suggest that you ladies have a look on you tube next time you have some spare time and check out food allergies and kinesiology it’s amazing ,they work on the principle that your body will react to certain foods you may have allergies too if that aren’t good for you by muscle responses.we used to have a laugh trying it out on the various food stuffs in the cupboard and seeing what our bodies said about it,sounds gobbledygook but honestly you will get some surprising results and worst case scenario it’s a bit of fun,try it xx put in “self muscle testing “ I’ll bet you’ll have fun trying it out.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 10:50:37 PM by Daisydot »

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 11:55:38 PM »

Sorry to hear that Kathleen. I was recently diagnosed as anaemic but can't take iron tablets so the doctor told me I had to eat lots of leafy greens, liver, etc. Of course it's the leafy greens that seem to be upsetting my stomach - can't win  :'(

If you have been recently diagnosed as anaemic and are now also suffering from bowel problems it may be worth going back to your doc. When I became anaemic I had to have an endoscopy and sigmoidoscopy to rule out any stomach problems which may have been causing the anaemia. It may be worth just checking. What is the reason for not being able to take iron tablets if you don't mind me asking?

Taz x

Kathleen

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 09:24:03 AM »

Hello ladies.

I've started a new thread about anaemia to open up the discussion on this specific subject. As I mentioned I just learned that I am anaemic and the comments here from getting_old and Taz2 made me wonder how common this is and perhaps other members have some experiences to share.

Take care all.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 01:42:04 PM »

Kathleen - see a Consultant for advice?  There are several ways of taking iron.  Tablets are known for causing constipation!

Get a copy of Dr Moseley's book of the gut, it explains in detail how foods are passed through the digestive system.  It's helped me.

Also - if the bowel has lots of greasy foods, i.e. beef burgers/oils, it will pass foods quicker than dryer grub. 

We eat a lot of freshly cooked meals.

Ginger/garlic.  Olive oil.  Stir fries with lots of peppers, peas, green beans, with mince or sliced chicken - on a bed of rice or pasta
Fish cooked twice a week with freshly cooked brocolli/peas/chips
Sometimes tinned tuna on toast with salad on the side
Sweet corn slathered with butter as a 'main' meal at lunch time 
Beans on toast
Chicken curry on rice
1nce a month fried fillet steak with green veg
Pizza from the freezer when we need something quick

I try to eat before my body is hungry so that I don't gobble too much. 

suziq99

• GBX Marine
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 02:37:08 PM »

My OH has exactly the same thing. If I try & feed him healthy food it really upsets him.  :-\ Feed him on chips & pizza & he's absolutely fine. Crazy..

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 03:35:40 PM »

It's what the gut is used to probably?

As for dairy free yoghurts, one wouldn't then add calcium etc..  ::).   Try looking at a UK Company that sells goat products across the country and ask the question?  Goat milk is different to cows' something to do with lactose?

I've eaten healthy and now feel nauseous ............  :'(

Hurdity

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 05:33:12 PM »

Hi getting_old

Another approach could be to cut out (added) sugar, and refined foods and drastically reduce concentrated carb foods like cereals, bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, flour, pastry etc and to increase the amount of low fat protein in your diet rather than increasing your fruit and veg to more than 5 a day. I usually eat porridge or muesli most mornings ( but not always) but other than that most of the time I don't eat the other foods or rarely except when going out for meals and Christmas etc. I eat 1 or 2 eggs for breakfast usually, and lots of low fat yogurt, cottage cheese, smoked salmon, lean chicken, fish, nuts etc and this has slowed down transit as protein takes longer to digest. I do also eat a fair amount of fruit and veg - probably more than most people but you might find that increasing your protein at the expense of the carbs could help? Perhaps try for a few weeks and see what happens? Obviously the gut needs to settle....

Hurdity x

getting_old

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 06:23:49 PM »

I can't take the iron tablets because of other health issues according to the doctor. My anaemia was caused by a very long and heavy period (lasted a month with massive clots hourly) so the doctor said I should try eating iron rich foods as the tablets wouldn't be suitable.

I eat greek yogurt every day, plus granola and fruit. I try to eat eggs every other day, plus eggs, fish (fresh salmon or tinned tuna), meat. Oh and the dog and I have started to share an apple each day too! The problem seems to be the veg - broccoli is definitely a problem so I think I need to try a veg free diet, then re-introduce different ones to see what causes the problems.

Taz2

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 11:41:49 PM »

It's strange how heavy periods affect some of us and not others. Mine used to last for over six weeks with clots etc. (never went to the doc as I just thought I was normal!) but I never became anaemic. My anaemia started out of the blue but six months of tablets sorted it out and it's been fine ever since. I guess if it's not too low then eating iron-rich food could boost it enough. I guess you are adding the veg and fruit to help with the iron uptake e.g. upping your vitamin C to aid absorption?

Taz x
Pages: [1] 2