Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Heck... GP took me off of hrt  (Read 3806 times)

Cirhossa1

Heck... GP took me off of hrt
« on: January 06, 2018, 05:25:53 PM »

My GP has taken me off of hrt as I suffer with migraines and there is a risk of stroke.

I've been referred to a gynae consultant.

In the mean time I'm  wanting a natural supplement that has a good effect on my mood, libido, and the continuous hot flushes I'm getting... Any advice?

Thank you

Dotty

Re: Heck... GP took me off of hrt
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 05:27:01 PM »

Transdermal hrt is safe for ladies who suffer with migraines

Woodlands

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 07:40:40 PM »

Hi there.
I had chronic migraines, used transdermal, oral and gels over this last few years...I also have a Mirena.....see another GP in surgery ....
Woodlands x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 08:29:34 PM »

Or speak to the one who took you off it with the advice given here?  How long is the referral, did your GP mark it 'urgent'?  Maybe ring the appropriate Dept. to see what the waiting list is?

Mary G

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 08:39:05 PM »

That is completely wrong.  You don't need to stop taking HRT because of migraines, you need to take a different type namely transdermal HRT.  What type of HRT were you taking and for how long?  Chances are, it was the progesterone component that was causing the migraines in which case, you need to switch to something else.  Another reason could be that the oestrogen was too low.  I get migraines if the progesterone is too high and the oestrogen is too low. 

If you can come back and tell us what type of HRT you were taking and when you were getting the migraines it would help us to guide you in the right direction.  Also, did you suffer with PMS or have a history of migraines pre-menopause?

dahliagirl

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 05:15:38 PM »

The recommendations by FSRH for the pill changed in 2007 when a study came out saying that anyone who had ever had migraine with aura was at increased risk of stroke.

This caught up with me in 2012 when my GP surgery asked me, for the first time  ::),  about migraines (yes) and I was banned from taking the pill at the age of 49 1/2  ??? (and when I was pushed into the deep end with meno with no advice other than to get a mirena, and I started finding out about things)

These guidelines apply only to combined oral contraceptives.  They contain massive amounts of progestogen and a strong oestrogen compound that is designed to help stop ovulation.  They are hormones given for contraception purposes to a normal functioning healthy woman.  The risk factor is whether the risks outweigh those in a normal pregnancy.

HRT is replacement therapy - replacing what you do  not have and is more natural oestrogen and way, way much less progestogen (or even a more natural progesterone).  It is not the same thing as oral contraceptives.