Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: New here and need advice re changing hrt  (Read 2737 times)

Aspielady

New here and need advice re changing hrt
« on: January 09, 2018, 04:30:17 PM »

Thanks for the add. I need to swap from Evorel due to some problems I'm having.
Have a kind young man gp who doesn't know finer details of this sort of thing.
I'm thinking of going for the option of a oestrogen patch and a progesterone so many days and have a bleed. I've been reading the big tread about it.
What I'm wondering is, do I come off patches for a certain amount of time and then go on a new one? Or can I just swap and see what happens, not looking forward to nasty changes.
Thanks for any advice.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New here and need advice re changing hrt
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 07:00:40 PM »

:welcomemm:

Mary G

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 07:16:19 PM »

Have you thought about swapping the patches for Oestrogel?   If you have been having problems, it might be easier to move to a more dose flexible product.

You can change from one to the other immediately.

Peaceluvva

• Knowledge is power
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 07:20:04 PM »

Removed as posted in incorrect Thread
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 05:58:38 AM by Peaceluvva »

SandyS

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 07:37:36 PM »

Hi Peaceluvva

I just read your reply to Aspielady and wondering if that wS meant for me. Things you have referred to in my post earlier today!
Thanks

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 08:20:02 PM »

Hi aspielady

:welcomemm:

It depends where you are in menopause (peri or post?) and which Evorel preparation you have been given ie cyclical or continuous combined?

Firstly there is no need to stop any patches at all - if you are on a patch-based continuous combined product (which is presumably Evorel conti?) then you will just change to Evorel 50 (or Estradot which is much smaller) and then after 16 days start the progesterone for the next 12 and away you go. If you are on Evorel sequi then either finish the pack or, once you are half-way through a pack ( ie when you've finished the Evorel 50 part of the pack) continue with Evorel 50 and start the progesterone for the next fortnight to start a new cycle.

Hurdity x

PS SandyS I think you're right about Peaceluvva's reply being meant for you - I have replied slightly differently on your thread!

Peaceluvva

• Knowledge is power
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 10:32:23 PM »

Oh apologies!!!  How appalling.  Sorry SandyS and sorry Aspielady.

Aspielady

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 04:26:01 PM »

Thank you Hurdity for replying.
I am on evorel conti 50 but I've had some bleeding and I feel sure I'm getting too much oestrogen as I'm also getting headaches quite a lot.
I feel a lower dose patch like 25 and separate progesterone may be better for me. I just wondered do I stop with my patch and start the new regime when my GP gives me it?
I fear my body may get confused with a separate preparation. Its all so worrying.
I nearly 2 years post meno by the way.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 04:29:06 PM by Aspielady »

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 08:24:37 PM »

You haven't said how long you have been on Evorel conti? Some spotting and bleeding is normal for up to around 6 months when first starting continuous combined HRT so if you are within that time frame then no need to worry especially. If you have only just started taking it then the headaches could be due to your body acclimatising to the added hormones or it could be due to taking the progestogen all the time - the one in Evorel conti - norethisterone - is notorious for casuing various pms symptoms. Often the side effects will settle but the recommended time to wait is 3 months because your body is still adjusting.

Unless you are especially sensitive to added oestrogen it is doubtful whether 50 mcg oestrogen is too high if you are post-menopausal because the level is nowhere near that which you will have achieved naturally when fertile and menstruating.

Depending on how long you've been taking it I would carry on until 3 months. Otherwise if longer than 6 months then see your doc about the ongoing bleeding. If nothing is amiss you could try the sequi version ( Evorel sequi = 2 weeks of Evorel  50 oestrogen only, followed by 2 weeks of the combi patch Evorel conti) which would give you a bleed.

Alternatively as you say you can use a patch with separate progesterone (as I have been doing for many years quite happily!). I don't think your body will get confused - the two hormones are separate anyway - it will just absorb them and use them.

Good luck with your GP, try not to worry and let us know what you decide.:)

Hurdity x

Conolly

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 01:12:01 PM »

Hello Aspielady,

Welcome to the forum. I can't give you any advice or info re HRT, I'm just a newbie myself, just want you to know that I'm an Aspie 🤗

Conolly X

Sarai

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 07:37:41 PM »

Thank you Conolly. Great to meet a fellow aspie

Conolly

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 08:12:16 PM »

Likewise! 🤗

Conolly X