Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 30

Author Topic: Holidays 2018  (Read 62951 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Holidays 2018
« Reply #165 on: June 09, 2018, 02:02:53 PM »

We had a few days away, weeding in Mum's garden, taking her on trips 'out', meeting a friend not seen for 5+ years.  PHEW!  Feet up now that we are home  ;)

Snoooze

« Reply #166 on: June 09, 2018, 02:50:08 PM »

A few years ago we took Mum a set of cafes on one floor.  Rooms can be made larger/smaller by using screens.  We were aware that there was a party for a 9 year old with lots of similar aged kids there.  One 'escaped' from the group and began pulling chairs around in the area we were sitting.  He wanted to get to the double doors onto the balcony but it meant pushing by our chair/table ............  :whist:  "Are you with the others in that room over there?" was my question. "Yep" was the reply.  "So I suggest that you go back on your own room and ask your family whether you can be in here with us and bring your father with you" .  He slowly wandered back, giving me a look ......... an adult arrived from that area so I shouted over "I think you have lost a child" ......... with all the protection legalities etc. ........

He began to wander back a few moments later so I half-rose from my chair ......... he skiddalled.  I won't put up with other peoples' children.  End of.  If parents appear to be on their gadgets I make a loud comment ...........

Hmm...I would love to have heard what the child's father said about you!

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #167 on: June 09, 2018, 04:03:41 PM »

At breakfast today the family on the next table consisted of Mum, Dad and two little boys . One was very small, about 2 and the other maybe 5.  Father went and got the food, mother put a mini Ipad in front of each child, cut up their sausages and left them watching their cartoons. My hubby said “I have seen everything now.” 

My niece is the same though, she puts her two kids in their car seats and puts these mini Ipads on the seats in front.  It seems that kids have to be constantly amused these days. I dont think it does any good though  because they both have the attention span of gnats.  They come to mine and they want TV on, I tell them if they dont sit  and watch it goes straight off. A minute later they want their Ipads or electronic games on, then they want to go in the garden, then they want to go in the summerhouse .... they literally just cannot sit still for a minute. When theyve gone I go and tidy up my summerhouse as they move all the chairs, turn all the knobs on the radio and CD player and throw all the cushions around.

CLKD

« Reply #168 on: June 09, 2018, 04:10:01 PM »

Snooze.  The parents and other carers were in general, unaware.  They were all in another room talking to each other, not keeping an eye on the children running in and out!  In these days of 'protection' issues .......... my point also is that the parents paid a lot of money to hire that facility [I know what it costs on an hourly basis] and the children should have been inter-acting with each other, not looking to annoy others.  We were not allowed to touch anything that belonged to Mum or Dad, we had to ask to go into each other's rooms and even now I feel 'odd' going into Mum's bedroom or when going through her items.  Like she's there, watching over my shoulder  ;D.

When Himself and I were in Butlins in the mid-1970s, kids ran in and out of the cinema - even then they didn't know how to sit still to watch a film!

Snoooze

« Reply #169 on: June 09, 2018, 07:57:07 PM »

When my kids were younger and we were eating out with them, quite often an older person would come up and compliment us on how well behaved our children were! I know that some people do prefer to be in 'child free' zones but it's not always possible.

Yes, most parents nowadays seem to give their very young kids ipads or whatever to keep them entertained but I think it's just the sign of the times. Each generation is different and unfortuately, my kids generation is the one of iphones/ipads/social media blah, blah.Kids don't seem to play out anymore either and are often anti social as they hardly ever interact anymore other than over social media etc. I would hate to have been young in this generation.

Often I feel parents do anything for a 'quiet life'. I know I have with my kids but I have never lived near family. I had to look after my kids 24/7. I couldn't send them to Grandparents etc for a few hours. When you never get a break from your kids, it is easy to give them something that keeps them quiet, but I would never have given my children ipads at such a young age. All mine had to wait until they were around 11/12 (and not ipads, a cheaper version!) but of course all their friends have the latest gadgets and they want to be like their friends but we don't have playstations or xboxes but parenting is hard work and I would hate to feel that other parents were judging me!

CLKD

« Reply #170 on: June 09, 2018, 08:54:58 PM »

I was raised away from child care, i.e. grandparents.  Mum stayed at home.  Dad went out to work.  Normal in those days.  We had a sand pit with buckets and small spades; swings in the orchard; scooters, cycles, roller skates.  On rainy days Mum would pull out the table and find large sheets, underneath we could have been anywhere.  Kids seem not to have a sense of adventure in the same way, nor do they gain 'making up pretend game' skills.

No lego etc..  Lots of colouring books, magic painting ....... now, how did that work  ;)

Snoooze

« Reply #171 on: June 09, 2018, 09:19:50 PM »

We were brought up the same but in those days, you could wander far and wide all day long out playing and our Mum had all day to herself doing housework etc without us under her feet.

I also stayed at home to bring up my children while my husband worked but we don't live in a particularly safe area and so I couldn't let me kids go off playing all day like I did. It just wasn't safe. As I say, each generation is different and each particular child can be more demanding than another. I feel we shouldn't judge other parents when we're out and about. I certainly don't and in fact I quite often give support when a mother may be struggling with the behaviour of her kids.

Dierdre

« Reply #172 on: June 10, 2018, 10:04:01 AM »

The problem now is both parents work and sometimes at the weekend too, they then come home to shopping, cooking and housework as well as full time jobs. Sadly there's not the time to entertain the kids so the tv and iPad compensate. Also it's not safe to just let them go out to play on the street unsupervised anymore. When I used to get home from school it was all done and my dinner on the table cos Mum was at home and I was lucky to be able to do this too until my three were older and I went back to work just part time. We can't wait for our holidays so that we can spend 24/7 with the kids on the beach, in the pool and no sign of a Tele or iPad.

Daisydot

« Reply #173 on: June 10, 2018, 07:10:08 PM »

I'm off to Benidorm On Wednesday again to the sol pelicanis where they film the tv show Benidorm,I can't wait sheer escapism for 5 whole days,better be warmer this time though.xx

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #174 on: June 10, 2018, 09:44:58 PM »

Daisydot,
Have a great time honey, I'm sure you'll be basking  :sunny:
in the sun, you'll be able to relax n let all your worries
go for a bit.
Hope you're ok, enjoy yourself.

Jd xx

:veil:

Lanzalover

« Reply #175 on: June 12, 2018, 10:09:46 PM »

Daisydot

Have a wonderful holiday you deserve it.

Lanzalover x

Daisydot

« Reply #176 on: June 12, 2018, 10:35:37 PM »

That's really kind of you ladies thanks so much xx

Lanzalover

« Reply #177 on: June 18, 2018, 02:21:49 PM »

Got back from a wonderful holiday in Lanzarote yesterday.

DH is now planning another trip he's not getting any opposition from me  :rofl:

Lanzalover x

CLKD

« Reply #178 on: June 18, 2018, 02:52:47 PM »

Is that a 'trip' or going away  ;)

Welcome back!

Lanzalover

« Reply #179 on: June 18, 2018, 03:28:45 PM »

Hi CLKD

He's planning another holiday to Lanzarote  :)

Lanzalover x
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 30