Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vagifem and itchy rectal area  (Read 14182 times)

borchesterlass

Vagifem and itchy rectal area
« on: November 24, 2017, 09:55:59 PM »

I haven't been in this forum for a couple of years having come off vagifem completely two years ago. Recently over the last three months I have had a terrible itchy anus and have tried all sorts of remedies. Then I remembered this seemed to improve when I was on Vagifem. So I went to see my Gp and he has prescribed it again to see if it makes a difference .
Has any one else found Vagifem helps with this  annoying and irritating condition. I have to say that I think after two weeks there is beginning to be some improvement .

dahliagirl

Re: Vagifem and itchy rectal area
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 10:16:10 PM »

Yes - I think someone has mentioned it before in private lives somewhere.

Hope it works for you.

Kate

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 10:18:38 PM »

Hi borchesterlass,

I haven't tried vagifem but I do find oestrogen cream helps my itching and the small tears in that area.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 02:31:25 PM »

Anusol for anal itching.  Don't stop treatment for VA as it is a Life-time condition.  Savlon or Sudacrem R also useful.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 03:02:06 PM »

Yep it definitely makes loads of difference to me. I do need both Vagifem and full  HRT to achieve the same effect nowadays though. Why did you stop the Vagifem as VA needs lifelong treatment? Hope you feel more comfy soon

Taz x

Wrensong

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 03:34:09 PM »

I think the entire area dries out at menopause & this can lead to itching as well as making splits more likely, so that you felt better on Vagifem is not surprising.  I think you're wise to try it again & would continue with it to keep everything in good order.  If Vagifem alone doesn't do the trick, a little Estriol or Ovestin cream applied regularly to the external area might help make everything more comfortable.  It healed a perineal split for me & seemed to help with poor skin condition further back. 

CLKD is right too - Anusol might help, or failing that, a little Canesten or tea tree cream if there's any possibility of thrush.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 06:27:19 PM by Wrensong »

borchesterlass

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 09:48:15 PM »

Yep it definitely makes loads of difference to me. I do need both Vagifem and full  HRT to achieve the same effect nowadays though. Why did you stop the Vagifem as VA needs lifelong treatment? Hope you feel more comfy soon

Taz x
I had been taking it for about three years and it was suggested I stopped to see if I could manage without  . I think recently the guidelines have changed to allow longer use .

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 11:01:14 PM »

Who ever suggested that you stop Vagifem is way behind!  It's not like other types of HRT and there is no reason for anyone to stop it, other than by choice.  Do you think you will re-start to see if it helps current symptoms?

For me VA was like razor blades up there  :o and even though I have a history of breast disease my GP never hesitated in prescribing treatment, nor could I have lived with symptoms.  Quality of Life is important too.

AstroCat

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 10:31:44 PM »

OMG!  :o Itching bottom...is that really yet another bizarre 'bonus' of the menopause? I've been getting this for quite some time now but as I can be prone to odd itchy flare ups on other parts of my body I hadn't even entertained the thought that it was associated with the menopause. I've been putting off going to the doctor about it as it's never been really bad enough to warrant the pain that it is to get an appointment. It's more of an annoyance than anything.
So Savlon or Sudacrem might help?

borchesterlass

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 08:52:54 PM »

Oh Ive used it all...sudocream, Vaseline , witch hazel. Vagifem seems to be making a difference I think.
I just wonder how ladies coped years ago without all the help available now.

Heidi1

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2017, 09:00:03 PM »

I have also had the anal itching (for a few years now). But never knew what caused it. GP had prescribed various things - but nothing really helped. I have Endometriosis too and wondered if it was connected. Anyway, I had a total hysterectomy 4 weeks ago - and was launched into instant menopause! So was given Oestrogen patches a week or so ago - which are starting to help. But I've also asked for Oestrogen pessaries to help with vaginal discomfort. So do you think the Oestrogen vaginal pessaries will also help the anal itching? Hope so - that would be great! Ps: what is VA referred to in previous posts? Sorry to sound ignorant - I'm new to HRT/menopause and just finding my way around x

Tinkerbell

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2017, 01:15:16 PM »

VA is vaginal atrophy.

dahliagirl

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2017, 10:32:10 PM »

Vaginal oestrogen will help keep your connective tissues stronger and healthier and reduce the risk of prolapse.  Worth using.

Heidi1

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2017, 11:16:46 PM »

Thank you Dahliagirl - any particular type of cream or pessary better than the rest that you know of?  Do most women use it indefinitely?

borchesterlass

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2018, 09:27:30 PM »

Heidi , Vagifem seems to be the vaginal oestrogen that works.
On a happier note this last week has really seen an improvement in the anal itching and I've gone a whole two weeks without using additional creams. So it's been three months since I went back on the Vagifem. Hoe many of you know your GP will prescribe this forever? I am now 62 and last period was 45.
Pages: [1] 2