Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Sumatriptan and migraines  (Read 8010 times)

Hurdity

Re: Sumatriptan and migraines
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2017, 08:27:45 PM »

Thanks for that Bea66. Mine aren't hormonal but worth knowing what others have tried. They also aren't serious migraines ie I don't need to consult anyone apart from GP as they don't happen often enough - but I'm belatedly (after 5 years since knowing they were migraines) trying to seek some relief if I'm going to carry on getting them regularly for years to come. The doc only prescribed 1 pack of 6 and I've used half of them so will have to go back anyway after the next migraine. When you say it lasted much longer - how long was this? The suma.. lasted definitely at least 12 hours but then started to get twinges or if I went to bed thinking it had gone it came back in the night but I wanted until morning to take another (to get through the day without being too weedy!).

Hurdity x

Night_Owl

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2017, 08:40:52 PM »

Hi Hurdity

I don't use any form of triptan these days (tried many types of triptan, tablet and nasal spray over the years) as if I don't take it exactly at the right time, at the start of the vile neck pain and knots, it doesn't work and just makes me feel drowsy, faint, very dehydrated and all-round ghastly on top of the migraine - plus makes night sweats worse.  If I do happen to take it at the right time, I can often get rebound, the migraine can recur - it's as if it has to have the last word! - or it will start up on the left side (mine are always right sided).  Also have read that they're contra-indicated when post-menopausal - as you know triptans constrict the dilated blood vessels in the brain and in other parts of the body too, ie. heart.  I get really bad palpitations during a migraine and have a history of heart disease in the family, low BP and dizzy spells so those factors were another decider in not taking the triptan.

Just recovering from a hideous, vile 3 day migraine that was not progesterone (Utrogestan) so can't blame that, just hormonal imbalance, low oestrogen, who the hell knows.  One Neurologist told me to take high dose dispersible aspirin - and that is my go-to med -  Alka Seltzer as the effervescence helps absorption.  If I'm particularly nauseous and can't keep anything down, then I'll use rectal Paracetamol (on prescription from GP), they're not very effective but better than nothing.  Daily (Solgar) Magnesium Citrate and B2 (Riboflavin) seems to help a tad in prevention.

I never stop reading about migraine (migraine.com is a good site) as in my experience it is an absolute disability that scares the life out of me, is life changing and life restricting.  I've had neck X-rays, the result of which was: 'general wear and tear' - not very helpful.

Sorry, hope this is not too gloomy.  It's a rotten condition to have to cope with Hurdity, you have my sympathies.  can't really type properly at the monet as just in recovery from 3-day monster mig.

J x

Hurdity

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2017, 10:00:15 PM »

Hello Night_Owl - good to see you and thanks for your comments especially about triptans - very helpfpul. When I read about you I feel bad for even starting a post because I've said all along mine are not really bad ones - I'm not confined to bed in a darkened room, nor am I sick - although I feel nauseous some of the time and have light/sound aversion. It's the persistence of them when they start that I find debilitating ie I am not normal for 3-4 days and just mope about the place taking pain-killers and the nights are often long and I wake up so tired (more than normal) which is why I wanted some advice on meds - but they are nothing, nothing compared to yours. Thank-you for your sympathy but really I have so much sympathy for you and anyone who has them like you do - and I don't normally discuss or mention them because mine are not major...

The neck thing is interesting - basically I don't get them (migraines) often enough for anyone to do anything. My GP suggested acupuncture for my neck!!!!

I might read up about Magnesium and migraines as several have mentioned this and I don't know about it's medicinal use apart from stomach (as in Milk of Mag which is great stuff!) and I know my diet won't be deficient.

Mine are more on the right side too - ends up in the centre middle right of head but all over sometimes so I can't lie on my side in bed and have to lie on my back - and snore - waking my husband up!!

Anyway so sorry to hear you've just had another bad one and that yours are generally no better and hoping you recover soon.

:bighug:

Thanks so much for commenting - I have been wondering how you are these days.

Take care :)

Hurdity xx

Chikabee

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2018, 01:04:09 PM »

I have been taking Sumatriptan for long while @ 10 years. They only work if they are taken as soon as you feel the migraine is coming on. Although, when I have not been able to tell if it's a migraine or headache, I don't take it immediately the pain lingers for longer. And another migraine may come on later in the day.

I noticed that I was getting strong side effects like pain in joints especially knee, and one brand caused more side effects than another. But the pharmacist was having difficulty getting the brand that didnt hv side effects.

I've had acupuncture for other issues like depression & anxiety, and noticed this kept the migraines at bay for many months, about 6 months maybe. I am now taking 1300mg of Evening Primrose Oil per day and these seem to hv kept migraines at bay for past couple of months as well as help with pmt symptoms during Utrogeston phase.

I hope this helps.

Chikabee

Js

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2018, 07:55:00 PM »

Hi ladies

I suffer from migraines and went on hrt thinking it would help them but alas not I take Zolmitriptan 5mg when I get migraines but I am also guilty of not taking it as soon as I get one I hate taking tablets And I am aware of the rebound factor and that's why I hope it goes but a proper migraine never goes I get them mainly on left side of head but then Also all over my head I have tryed many a preventative which didn't work, I have had head scan and seen a neurologist but I did see a headache doctor and she was great and understood exactly what I was going through as she suffered with migraines also and that was her reason for becoming a headache doctor she has given me nortriptyline 10mg  but taking 3 at night have been taking these since Oct 2017 and :hapij: :hapij:fingers crossed I think I am getting somewhere I usually have a migraine about 2 a week and I am sometimes sick with the pain and can't cope but when I take the Zolmitriptan usually within an hour the pain lifts and then I'm human again but they do tend to leave me with a fuzzy head I have tried everything to see if it causes them, leave off coffee, cheese, wheat, sugar, chocolate you name it I've tried it but to all those that suffer with migraines you have my sympathy it's not just a headache .but my migraines can last up to 3 days and so having to take the Zolmitriptan for the 3 days but as I only get 6 in a pack I'm having to ask for repeats often . I know keep having migraines can be a risk of strokes but until someone can come up with why we get. Migraines then it's a bit hard to control them .but if I could not get them for some reason I don't know what I would do as that is the only tablet that works for me .

Js

Loo53

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2018, 06:42:12 PM »

Sumatriptan I know doesn't work when the pain is already there. I get horrible back of the head headaches and when I know one is pending the tablets work for me then otherwise Intake two paras and two ibuprofen and that usually works for me but we're all different 😃
Pages: 1 [2]