Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Hello and maybe some thoughts please  (Read 2919 times)

slightlymad

Hello and maybe some thoughts please
« on: November 21, 2017, 01:49:09 PM »

Well not entirely new to this menopause lark have had a mirena in. was removed as it was time for a new one. Think this masked alot of the worst of the symptoms or meno. Had a new one fitted and bled heavily during this period it fell out lol. Had a new one fitted which disappeared scans didnt find it so gave up. Only real symptom up to now has been mild flushed during the day and night sweats. S felt I may have got off lucky.  Now though think im still peri as have bled on rare occasions although the last one was 6 months ago.
Now im sore and dry below given vagifem which didnt agree with me and was unsure of using without progesterone drs didnt really help. So now use hyalofemme which works just fine. However no sex drive just diagnosed with ibs awaiting results of bloods for liver/kidneys etc to be sure. Bowel problems have eased but am still left with mild aching when im sitting for a while.  The aching is low down either side of my hips  spoken to gp one said urine infection given abs no help next said acid given pills nothing (didnt think it would help as not acidic) What can I do?
Feeling stuck as it appears according to DH i have developed severe health anxiety to top it all. Just about had enough did think of using coil again but as im getting no real advice from my drs not sure if it will help tbh

Dancinggirl

Re: Hello and maybe some thoughts please
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 04:31:37 PM »

Hi and welcome slightlymad
So much of what you are going through is typical for peri menopause - even the digestive issues!!
Your GP should be considering HRT treatment which could help everything enormously. The Vagifem can irritate at first but it's well worth persevering as it will reduce many of the urogenital atrophy symptoms eg UTIs, soreness, burning etc. - so try using this again but use the vaginal Moisturiser as well but not at the same time.
DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 07:15:22 PM »

:welcomemm:

If you had a reaction to Vagifem ask your GP for Ovestin1mg which is used the same but applied slightly differently in that there isn't a capsule.  Some are sensitive to the fillers/packaging rather than the active ingredient.  As DG suggests and in the meantime, try Sylx or Yes products .

slightlymad

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 12:34:55 PM »

Hi thanks for your thought yes CLKD will go back and ask about Ovestin.
As for hrt first time i asked got anti depressants wasnt happy about that so didnt take them, second time told take black cohosh well online research into this I thought no way so went back given one with horse p tried it felt so much worse and i did persevere but also not happy about horse p second hrt also horse p same issues so I gave up Maybe too easily but the night sweats and anxiety are now worse than ever but my local surgery is small with few doctors etc and they dont have the time to spend going over my options I feel fobbed off every time. There is no well woman or meno clinic so what can I do looking online feeling more certain that something can be done dont even mind having a bleed if it stops the rest of my problems.
Hey ho apparently according to one gp thats a womans life shut up and put up basically  >:(

jaycee

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 02:14:58 PM »

Just thought i would mention, Dr Chris Steele on this morning TV advised people NOT to take Black Cohosh
I hope you get sorted out with a better HRT i thought the horses P ones had been discontinued as they are the older ones,and the condition the poor horses were kept in was very cruel,so there was a lot of controversy about it
I use vagifem and took a while to get used to it,but no problems now,it must take time to kick in properly,and not messy like cream would be

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 03:55:30 PM »

Slightlymad
Outrageous that your GPs are not giving you the correct treatment - they are so out of date - shame on them.
You need to see your GP and state very clearly that you have looked at the latest NICE guidelines( you can find a link in this site and from the NHS Choices site) and it says that the FIRST line treatment for menopausal symptoms is HRT not ADs - so this is what women should be offered first.
You should also not be prescribed the old fashioned equine hrts - there are far better ones available - look under TREATMENTS on this site - print off to show doctor. Femoston is a good one to try or try the Oestrogel or
Oestrogen patches with seperate progesterone eg Provera or utrogestan for 12 days each month.
Write out all your symptoms and questions. Write down all the benefits of HRT eg, reduction in flushes and night sweats ( so better sleep), improved energy, protection for your heart and bones for your long term health, reduced risk of bowel cancer, protection from urogenital atrophy etc.
Tell them that you understand that, after the age of 60, there is a very, very small increased risk of breast cancer if still using HRT.
Sadly we often have to educate our GPs and be quite assertive about what we want - but in a nice way. DG x

slightlymad

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 11:26:20 AM »

Well have an appointment with practice nurse tomorrow gp appointments are like gold dust but told she can prescribe so fingers crossed going fully armed and dangerous lol.
Will ask about patches and have a feeling they may suit me best.
Full list of symptoms and what I want treated the most and dh for backup.
Hope I havent forgotten anything .
So wish me luck :)

Lanzalover

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 06:08:37 PM »

Hi Slightlymad

:welcomemm:

Good luck for tomorrow let us know how you get on.

Lanzalover x

slightlymad

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 10:44:54 AM »

Well what a waste of time that was :-X
Nurse I saw didnt know enough about menopause so couldnt help said I should have had an appointment with someone else.
The receptionist apparently should have know this and given me an appointment with The other nurse.
Oh well got blood test results all good so def IBS.
back again on Friday to see this other nurse fingers crossed.

Lanzalover

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 11:44:15 AM »

Oh how frustrating for you will DH be able to go with you again tomorrow for support ?

Good luck for tomorrow and sending you a  :bighug: today .

Lanzalover x

slightlymad

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 07:55:42 PM »

Ok well dont know what to make of this but nurse wouldnt give me any oestrogen patch  as wanted something with progesterone as well.
I asked about alternatives  then told she suspects i am oestrogen intollerant???
She had considered progynova but couldnt come up with a suitable progesterone.
Then said as I had tried a few other hrts that this wouldnt help as oestrogen intollerant so given low dose citalopram.
so back to ssri's
Not really happy with this but dont know where to turn tbh.