Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Will I ever be happy again?  (Read 3544 times)

Biker Chick

Will I ever be happy again?
« on: November 17, 2017, 09:50:39 PM »

Hi everyone,  I'm having a really bad week. Can't stop crying. I am so unhappy. Every day I wake up and hope the feeling of dread has gone but it never has, it's always there. I usually go to my fella's house on a Friday but we've been at each other's throats most of the week so decided to stay home today.I haven't even got dressed, just been moping round in my PJ's watching TV. I have no motivation to do anything. This is not me. I just feel rubbish about myself. Me and my fella are both in a bad place at the moment as he is struggling with having to take early retirement through ill health and I am going through this hell called menopause as well as losing my job in April. I'm looking for emotional support from him which he can't give me as he is not an empathetic person, although he does try and we just end up arguing. He said last night that he is struggling with his feelings for me basically because I am a nightmare at the moment and don't make it easy for him. This really hurts because he had a massive heart attack last year and I supported him through all that and months subsequent to that and believe me he was terrible to be around because he vented all his frustrations and anger onto me but despite this I still supported him and my feelings for him deep down never changed.

He is going to a funeral next week in his home town of Glasgow as one of his colleagues who he used to work in the theatre with sadly died. He is staying overnight at a friend's house. I'm scared because even though it is a funeral and it will be sad, there is a champagne reception afterwards at the theatre and he will be seeing a lot of old friends. There will be a lot of reminiscing and I know he will have a good time. One of his ex girlfriends (now married) will be there who he worked with for a long time who I have mentioned in previous threads.He has a very easy close relationship with her (no sexual attraction) and we have argued previously about this because he always sides with her over me. I call her 'The Saint' because she can do no wrong. I'm not begrudging him enjoying himself because I think it will do him good but it scares me that he will have such a good time and come back to me and realise how bad our relationship is at the moment as we just don't seem to have fun anymore. When I say this out loud it all sounds ridiculous but my mind goes into overdrive and I keep thinking of all sorts of scenarios, like them having a laugh at my expense as she knows I have a problem with her (he told her!) and I don't think for a minute that he will cheat, its not that, I'm just frightened that he will come home and think I'm just rubbish. I'm even considering jumping ship before I get pushed but I know that I'm not in a good place at the moment so don't want to anything in haste which I might regret later.

I feel like I'm going crazy. I'm trying all the usual things to help me with my depression and although I have an odd day when I'm not too bad, most days are awful. Will I ever be happy again? I can barely see to type this as my eyes are so red and puffy from all the crying. My friends are brilliant but sometimes I just feel so alone.

Sorry ladies, just needed to vent x  :'(

Annie0710

Re: Will I ever be happy again?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 10:09:28 PM »

Aw bless you

I think Your bf was wrong to tell her that you feel vulnerable about her (I can't remember how to put it, sorry)

But hey, you can be happy again, are you on hrt? ADs? I think you need to look into some form of treatment as you deserve to smile again.  When you become happier I bet your relationship will improve too xxx

Yammy1

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 10:17:29 PM »

You need to look after YOU, put yourself first, talk to your doctor about hrt or ads. Only when you help yourself then you can focus on your partner.

Snoooze

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 10:19:13 PM »

Hi Biker Chick,
I remember your previous posts about the 'other woman'.
Firstly, it easy to put everything down to meno, but not  everything can be related back to it. Yes, meno causes the feelings you have of tearfulness and feelings of dread etc but reading between the lines, I wonder if you are slightly depressed? You lost your job, your boyfriend was ill and now you are having relationship troubles, they are all stressful events. It may be worth going to your GP and discussing how you are feeling.
As for your boyfriend, as I said previously, he has had a big change to his life as well with his heart attack and missing his job. He's also going through a change and although it is selfish of him not to support how you are feeling unfortunately, some men are like that and they can't cope with emotional things.
I think it's natural for you to worry about him going to the funeral as things are not great between you at the moment. Probably if they were, you would think nothing of it but the thing is, he does give you cause to worry with the things he said about this woman and then she didn't sound very supportive when he told her how you feel.
Why not try taking a step back from him for a while? Let him do the chasing for a bit? Don't text him or whatever and see if he texts you? It sounds like you both could do with a break but you are also right to not end things in your current mood as when you feel better, you would regret it.
I hope you can resolve things and wish you well x

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 09:46:41 AM »

Hello Biker Chick.

I don't have any words of wisdom for you I'm afraid but I recognise the pattern of not feeling too bad some days and awful on others.  This hormonal rollercoaster has a lot to answer for and can make us totally irrational, no wonder our relationships can suffer.

You have my sympathy and sending hugs.

K.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 11:53:23 AM »

Hi Biker Chick

Others have posted with some good support.  Can I suggest you really look at your original post on this thread - the answers to your problems are there if you look carefully.

You and your boyfriend have had a very tough couple of years and you both have a kind of post traumatic depression which needs time and some proactive measures to recover from. The menopause is just one aspect but so much of what you are both experiencing is to do with growing older. Adjusting to health issues and maintaining our self esteem because we don't feel valued or sometimes even necessary any more, is getting tougher and tougher these days.

Whilst having support and understanding from those around you is important, the most important thing is to support and help yourself.    It takes courage and discipline, many small changes and sometimes some drastic measures.  Set some simple goals each day and take each day one at a time. A good start might be something simple like sorting out your wardrobe. 
Recently I woke feeling really, really low, so decided to tackle a few things I had been putting off - sort my chest of drawers and do my filing. Four hours later, I had tidy drawers of T shirts, undies and jumpers and my pile of things to file had disappeared.  Then rewarded myself by buying a new, discounted, top from GAP online, had a long walk with my dog and then watched my favourite Jane Austen film. It didn't fix everything but I had that small sense of achievement that makes you feel good. 

Writing things down is very helpful - lists can work wonders.

Write down the things that are important to you - then write down ways you can maintain and improve these things.  Don't expect others to sort this - if you engage in proactive measures, others should respond positively if they are true friends. Your boyfriend won't seek his ‘fun time' from others if you show clear signs of wanting to have fun yourself.
You may have lost your job but you can surely find something to replace this?  It may be a totally different type of job - put the feelers out, ask for advice, could you train or learn something new?  You never know unless you try.

In the short term, an AD/SRRI might be appropriate - not sure whether you have gone down this route yet?
A friend of mine went through a particularly tough time that left her exhausted, generally unwell etc. - her GP looked at her kindly and said,   â€œ you need a break from all this worry and stress.  I want you to take these ADs for just a few weeks or months so you can allow your body and mind to recover”.  She did as she was advised, took the ADs for 6 months, life in the mean time settled, her health improved and she was able to move forward. She told me it was the best thing she could have done at that time as she knows she would have lost so much if she hadn't followed her GPs advice.

Life can and will be good again but it is down to you to make this happen - I know this sounds harsh but you have to be open to change.  If you put out positive vibes, good things will come.
DG x

Biker Chick

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 10:24:23 PM »

Just wanted to say thank you to you all for your brilliant advice. I have been putting off taking anti depressants even though I was prescribed them last year as I was diagnosed with reactive depression after my fella's heart attack as I witnessed it and stayed with him until paramedics arrived. Things haven't been right since. I have tried herbal supplements including Starflower oil capsules which I have just recently started taking. I think I might go back to my GP and have another chat, I might have to relent and re consider taking anti depressants.

At the moment I don't feel I am in a good enough place to look for another job. My GP has suggested volunteering which I am looking in to.

You are all right I need to focus on me and get myself into a better place.

I'm trying a different tact about his time away at the funeral. I'm planning to keep myself busy and doing something nice while he is away and not to think of him and his ex girlfriend. There is nothing I can do if she is there and I am trying not to think about it. I agree that if things were better between us and felt that he did give a damn about me, it wouldn't be a problem.

I had a talk with him today and amongst other things said he needs to sort himself out. I know he's finding it really hard at the moment but he is messing with my head and my heart and it has to stop. I said he needs to have a think about what he wants because I won't put up with being messed about any longer. I know we are both struggling but I am trying to do something about my situation, he just sits and wallows a lot of the time. He is as depressed as me I am sure. Life is passing us by. He is not good at expressing himself  or opening up (typical man) so I've left him to think about what I said. He knows how I feel about him. He said that he is going to try and show me more affection so that is a start I suppose.

I'm not going to give up and am trying not to stress about things I cannot change and concentrate on the things I can. Life can be so hard can't it?

Thank you again everyone. I have taken the things you've said onboard.

Biker Chick xx :thankyou:

LoriPA

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 10:42:32 PM »

Best wishes Biker Chick; I hope everything works out for you soon. :)

I was diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder at age 21. I was prescribed various AD's throughout the years, most that either worked for a short time or not at all. It was eventually discovered via further tests that I had both low serotonin levels and hypothyroidism. I take Synthroid for my thyroid and 60mg of Prozac for depression. I still have the occasional bad day, but not as intense as before. Between those meds and recently starting Sharobel, things have smoothed out some.

Getting involved in various activities also helped; yes, I had to force myself some days, but then it got easier.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 11:23:35 PM »

Biker chick
Your last post sounds really positive to me  - some really good decisions.
If ADs for a few months could get you back on track, then give them a try - if you don't like them you can stop but get the GP to monitor you closely as I do think you may have reactive depression and this should pass in time but you need help In the short term.
It sounds as though your boyfriend needs some ADs as well.
Keep us posted. DG xxxx

Biker Chick

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 11:56:32 PM »

Thank you LoriPA and Dancinggirl. Today I do feel quite positive but this is what happens, one day I feel like this and then the next I'm back to feeling dreadful. I'm trying to stay positive and hoping it won't be long before I have more good days than bad.

I know we are all in the same boat and I really appreciate all your supportive comments and advice.

I'll keep you posted.

All the best
Biker Chick xx :)

Snoooze

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 09:57:48 PM »

Glad you're feeling more positive. It's a case of take each day as it comes but do go back to GP to discuss AD's as I'm sure they will improve your mood but I also agree it sounds like your partner should try them as well.

Unfortunately you are both 'down' so it's hard for you to give each other support but keep trying and hopefully things will improve x