Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Xmas adverts on TV  (Read 4679 times)

ellie

Xmas adverts on TV
« on: November 07, 2017, 01:21:16 PM »

I am already fed up with the Xmas adverts on TV,  and as for the Asda one!  Well I just don't get it  :-\
    Anyone else feel the same or do you enjoy them?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Xmas adverts on TV
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 04:10:49 PM »

I tend to flick through the stations or go for a pee  ::) but now you have mentioned them I will have a look-see.  ;)

The 1 time that I was tempted by an advert. was over 30 years ago: it was for an Aero chocolate bar and I HAD to go buy one the next day  ;D so I'm no easy take-in via adverts..  Crikey, that was B4 I was married so longer than 30 ........

There's a lot of perfume adverts so something is brewing  ;D

littleminnie

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 06:07:31 PM »

Saw the M&S one today, Paddington Bear.
Usually like the JL one, but get fed up of them after a while.   I think sometimes, less is more.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 08:55:20 PM »

I don't get the Paddington Bear yet.

And don't get me started on the adverts for furniture with 1 C.mas tree in the corner - what, no other decs.  ;D or cards.

jaycee

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 09:35:30 AM »

They all seem to have come at once ,but I like the very one

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 01:09:49 PM »

.......... which one  :D

jillyrich

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 03:19:03 PM »

And Christmas music in the shops?!?! I went to my local Morrisons supermarket this morning, and yes, you've guessed it................Christmas music blaring out.

ITS NOT EVEN DECEMBER!!!

Way too early in my mind.

puddlesmum

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 04:11:06 PM »

Think the Paddington one is ok, apart from the "f*** you Bear" which everyone seems to think he says  ;D

I think the Asda one is super cute, just like Willy Wonkas.  I'm hoping the John Lewis one has a bit of humour in it rather than the soppy, tear jerking ones that they keep piling on us. They're almost as bad as the Big C ones that they keep pumping out.  My partner has just recovered from tongue c so those adverts don't do him any good at all.

I want to see something really funny as an ad, just like they used to do in the 70s and early 80s. Something fun while it's dreary and grey outside.

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 05:14:07 PM »

I rarely watch commercial TV so no adverts for me  ::)

Hurdity x

Eviepf

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 05:51:29 PM »

For those who are irritated by adverts (like me) can I recommend getting a 'PVR' box, which means that you can record programmes v.simply and fast forward through the ads (and also rewind live TV). We used to have a Humax box but recently replaced this with a YouView one. I always record the programmes I want to watch on commercial stations and watch them at my leisure without the pesky adverts (as recently advised by Prue Leith re the Great British Bake Off).

This is a wonderful piece of kit which removes a real source of irritation. If only there was something similar to deal with early Christmas decorations/music in shops etc... !

Ju Ju

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 08:34:56 AM »

I have escaped seeing any Christmas ads thanks to recording programmes and muting sound during breaks if I'm watching live TV. Sadly there is no mute button in supermarket, but I do zone out from the noise just as I used to around noisy toddlers!

Scampi

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 08:15:13 AM »

Can't wait to see the JL ad - it launches today.

My favourite (so far) this year is the one with all the turkeys - I think it's Tesco.  It's the one with the man BBQing his turkey, another wondering if he took the giblets out, a woman struggling to get the brute out of the oven and another one telling everyone to get out of her kitchen!  Makes me smile every time - it's all so real!!!

I'm in my annual split-personality phase at the moment - part of me is excited for the season (I love the cooking, sharing time and food with family and friends, having that precious commodity of TIME - the Yule/Christmas season has some special magic to me), the other part is getting increasingly anxious and stressed about gift buying.  I'm USELESS at it - it doesn't matter how well I know someone, how close I am to them, I never know what to buy them.  My best friend is wonderful - she understands and gives me a list to work from for her and her family, which is exactly what I need to take the stress out of the process.  I just wish everyone else would do the same!!

ellie

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 08:44:45 AM »

The John Lewis advert, I think is OK, but personally I was a bit disappointed..    Monsters under the bed!   I wonder how many chrildren might be frightened though.

JaneinPen

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 09:27:57 AM »

Totally agree Ellie.  Toys moving and a Monster under the bed in the opening scene. Not good. The one place parents get asked to check by little ones is under the bed and this cost 7 million pounds to produce!!

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 04:13:20 PM »

The thing to do when the advert airs is to laugh out loud - kids then turn to adults to see what is funny ;-)

I do most of our shopping via catalogue, first to land on the mat in Sept. get it  ;D
Pages: [1] 2