Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: A day from hell  (Read 24227 times)

Eviepf

Re: A day from hell
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2017, 11:36:18 AM »

Hi Annie0710

I've been following this thread - what a traumatic experience you and Bert have had. I'm so glad things seem to be improving.

As a fellow cat slave, I did have to chuckle about you saying that you had to tape the cat flap open. This reminded me of one memorable winter where we had to do the same. One of our 3 cats is definitely intellectually challenged - no other cat we've ever had has had a problem with the flap but, as a youngster, this one just couldn't get it. Oh, that cold whistling draught which seemed to make your feet cold in the downstairs part of the house, no matter where you were .... We got there in the end, after my husband just lost patience, got firm and said he couldn't stand it any more.

Hopefully you have the medicine administration sorted now, but for the future, I recommend Webbox Lick-e-Lix which is a creamy-consistency treat. We find the liver flavoured one goes down very well (it smells disgusting!) and is good for hiding meds.

Annie0710

« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2017, 12:12:36 PM »

HI Evie

I think when the time comes for her to be able to go out we will NOT be sellotaping the cat flap either, if she's desperate I'm sure she'll pluck up the courage to use it (I'll report back on this one, what's the betting we get the tape and scissors out again when we panic she hasn't come back in ?)

Bugger still isn't eating so her food with the painkiller drizzled on is currently in the microwave so no other pet gets relief that they don't need.  She's got only one pill left to take and I'll do that later

It's the eating that worries me.  So, I'm going to starve her today and will take ALL offers away in the hope she'll at least eat this meat with the metacam on x

Eviepf

« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2017, 06:22:44 PM »

Hi Annie

It's such a worry, I know. Cats can be contrary creatures about eating at the best of times, but when they're ill and you know they should be having metacam but won't eat anything it can drive you to distraction. We have an arthritic cat who periodically needs metacam but won't touch any food with it in. We have to syringe it into his mouth (he just loves that, as you can imagine) although we know he'll eat afterwards so it's OK.

I hope Bert gets her appetite back soon. x

Annie0710

« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2017, 07:05:00 PM »

Evie I asked the vet if I can syringe the metacam down her throat and they no, it HAS to go on food..... doesn't make sense to me x

Claireylou

« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2017, 07:24:28 PM »

Annie that's weird. Whenever I've had to give my cats metacam, our vet says always give with food. He says it's easiest to syringe down the throat very closely followed by some food. As long as it's not given on a completely empty tum. How is she this evening xxx ?

Annie0710

« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2017, 07:28:04 PM »

Maybe they're telling me no because she's not eating? It's a vicious circle, she won't take the food with the metacam in or even if it's not on there....so not eating and NOT getting the pain relief x

Claireylou

« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2017, 07:42:35 PM »

Annie would she eat some treats like dreamiest or temptations xxx?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2017, 08:35:12 PM »

Don't starve her.  If she then eats too fast and vomits it will stretch her bruises  :-\.  A small piece of raw liver?   Small piece of lightly steamed fish ........ and then decide what she might eat  ;).  Cheese?

Metacam is given in small squirts dependant on the animals' weight so dropping onto food makes sure that the pet doesn't get an overdose.

Annie0710

« Reply #83 on: November 15, 2017, 08:39:37 PM »

I just put the bowl of food with metacam on in her face and she's licked all the juice with it on .... Halle- blimming - loolah!!!

She had a handful of biscuits earlier too.. this is the most she's earen since the trauma x

Claireylou

« Reply #84 on: November 15, 2017, 08:40:49 PM »

This is fantastic news Annie!!

So happy for you xxx  :)

CLKD

« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2017, 08:42:37 PM »

YIPPEE - remind her now where the litter tray is ?  :cat48:

Annie0710

« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2017, 08:45:24 PM »

Oh she has everything within her reach, plus she has access to the office, her 2nd fav room after the bathroom. I've certainly got a strange cat

The shih tzu chases her earlier and she can run, then stopped and started punching him so definitely coming out of this dark hole

She normally loves Temptations but hasn't been that interested in them during this, maybe one or two at the most x

Claireylou

« Reply #87 on: November 15, 2017, 08:47:47 PM »

One or two is better than none at all  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #88 on: November 15, 2017, 08:48:02 PM »

Also - our little cat would'd use the cat flap because she had trapped her tail in it  :o .......... whereas the Siamese would go in and out for the fun of it  :D.

If you are worried about her doing a runner through the door, shout through "I have to shut up the animals, do hang on a moment" or go to a window where she isn't i.e. upstairs so that she doesn't run up and over your shoulders and launch herself  :o to talk to the caller? [done that too]!

Annie0710

« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2017, 08:49:10 PM »

Someone called earlier and I managed it, I shut kitchen door to talk to the man x
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10