Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: A day from hell  (Read 24269 times)

Annie0710

A day from hell
« on: November 06, 2017, 04:01:07 PM »

My nightmare started at 7am this morning when I was getting ready to leave for work.  A man camr bombing down our back garden hitting something.  I ran out to see s big black dog on our grass and him with an Alsatian cross by the scruff of its neck.  They got my cat :-(

He put the dogs (who had not been on a lead) in his car and helped me look for my cat but we couldn't find her.  We have just moved to a small town where there's literally us, our neighbour and a House way across the trees in our lane.  A place we hoped our 2 dogs and 2 cats would have so much fun with all the fields and trees and wildlife.  It's turning into a nightmare.  In the 8 weeks we've been here our shih tzu has been attacked by a dog off the lead, thankfully only a bruised ego but nonetheless.  Our cat has been at the vet since 9am when I eventually found her in our neighbours garden.  She's been transferred to the larger surgery where she's just come out of the operation to fix all the internal damage and bleeding.  She's on IVs for ABs and pain relief and has bad muscle damage.  Vet is concerned about peritonitis but seems more optimistic than he did when he sedated her earlier to investigate, at that point he told me to expect worse case scenario.  I'm so upset, angry, frustrated about these dog walkers not keeping their pets on leads.  The owner handed me his driving licence to take his details and wrote his mobile down and said to keep him updated.  I could've had my grandchildren in the garden, the scenarios don't bear thinking about.

Salad

Re: A day from hell
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 05:01:33 PM »

Oh Annie that's so awful  :'(

Is there a local dog warden you can share your concerns with and who might be able to help educate the locals on safer dog handling?
Keeping everything crossed that your cat recovers well - sounds like she is in good hands.

Let us know how she gets on  :bighug:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 05:32:05 PM »

:'(

This is a Police matter.  It could be seen as a 'dog out of control in a public place' under the Dangerous Dogs Act.  The owner could be taken to Court, the dog concerned put to sleep and the owner will pay for any Vet treatment: if they are unable to pay, they will go to Prison.  It happened recently when a JR was held to a girl's face and bit her lip, badly.   Sued under the DDA.   Anywhere becomes a public place under UK Gun Laws and the DDA: your car, house, garden, garage .......

From Hell doesn't begin to cover it.  I wonder if the Vet thought to take 'photos.?    He/she may well have advice about how to proceed, they probably see a lot more of these types of attacks than previously.

Check on the Council Web-site if there is a Dog Warden and do ask the Police for advice.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 05:38:09 PM »

So sorry to hear about this Annie0710 - this is terrible. Your poor cat! . I can't really help re the dogs as I've never had them but have come across people who don't control them including once while camping which led to an unfortunate and in the end, abusive encounter between the two ( female) owners. I was in a camping group and witnessed this. It is so important as you say - just because you live in a rural area doesn't mean that you can let go the usual means of control. I am nervous of dogs and especially big ones so I would also have been worried with large dogs running amok in my garden....I do hope your cat recovers and also that you manage to sort things out with your neighbour - ie that he controls his dogs from now on.

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 05:40:18 PM »

Was it his dogs that he put into the car? 

JaneinPen

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 05:47:51 PM »

Sad to read your post Annie07010.  I hope your poor cat recovers and isn't now going to be frightened to be outside.  I get so angry with dog owners not keeping their pets under control. I hate it even more when they say “they won't hurt you it is okay” when they come towards you off their leads.  Sorry but it is not okay to someone (like myself) that doesn't own a dog and is nervous around big ones grrrr

He should definitely pay for the vets

Annie0710

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 05:57:05 PM »

THank you all.  He's not a neighbour.  He lives in the next town.  We are surrounded by fields and trees and a rural museum so is a very popular place to walk dogs.  Our cat is a tortoiseshell ball of long fluff  as is her black and white son.  She loves coming on our dog walks with us and spends her days sitting in our front garden ready to greet us as we get home.  This all happened in her safe place, her home.  The owner of the dogs gave me all his details and I've been texting him updates (thought it was best to have the conversation in writing), all replies have been that he will settle all the bills which currently stands at £850 without the blood tests .  I can't rock the boat with him until he's paid but I've been trying to get through to the Dog Warden with no luck at all.

getting_old

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 08:23:54 PM »

:bighug:  I am so sorry to hear about your cat. What an awful thing to happen to her, and also to you. I suggest calling the vet and asking them to take photos of her current condition in case you need them. I would also get copies of the vet's notes of the treatment, and ask them to detail the condition she was in when you took her in.

Annie0710

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 09:40:54 PM »

They know the situation about the dogs owner paying and they said to take his details in to them, so I assume they'd happily give a report

I rang at 6 to check on her, she's as comfortable as can be but not eating.  I'll ring again 7am and vets will discuss their days plan with her and let me know .  The dogs owner has just text asking if there's any update

jaycee

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 11:40:26 PM »

I am so sorry to read about your poor cat,i have cats and they only go in my back garden which is very enclosed, no dog could get in, but did have a cat years ago which was mauled by a visiting alsation, poor thing was never the same, although physically she recovered
I also have a little dog,who is always on a lead outside, but I have 2 neighbours who have dogs never on leads
2 jack Russells and 2 Staffies, I hate taking my dog even out of my gate if they are around,although they do go back to owners when called
I hope your cat recovers, I can imagine what you are going through
Are you going to report this neighbour anyway, I would still report to the dog warden

Annie0710

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 06:28:21 AM »

I will report it

Our garden is in the process of being enclosed.  It's huge and given the fact the move cost us our savings, plus we'd had the wedding and honeymoon booked and hubby works really long hours it's still a work in progress.  The irony is I nagged him only the day before about at least getting a gate put on the path, that could well of saved her

Jenna

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 08:12:10 AM »

Hi Annie,

I am horrified to hear what has happened to your dear cat and I really hope that she will recover well from this, and that you can both get over the terrible shock. It's just so dreadful.  :'(

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 11:57:04 AM »

The owner is probably shocked too especially if he has offered to pay Bills.  It maybe out of character, many owners do not realise how quickly a dog can 'switch' from being the pet on the hearth to a roaring bundle of fury.  Cats are prey animals so the chase instinct kicks in.  Usually a cat can escape but if dozing or getting older, their reflexes may not be as honed. 

It's an awful situation.  The noise.  The mess .......... how is Puss this morning?  Did you sleep? 

There may be By-Laws about keeping dogs on leads etc., but they have to be posted by the Local Authority to the areas to which they apply.  Is there a Dog Warden in your area?

Annie0710

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 06:48:32 PM »

HI

I phoned vets last night and they said Bert was calm and ok

I phoned this morning too then went to work.  Vet called me at 9.30am to say she has a slightly raised temperature and they're giving her meds for that.  She's still not eating and her bloods showed a little concern on her liver function but given all that she's been through, she's remarkable.  I asked if I could visit her on my lunch break and buy her some of her special food for when she's poorly, he thought that'd be a good idea so lunchtime I went to buy her food and got to see her! She licked all the soup and licked the chicken and that pleased the vet seeing her showing interest in food.  I've left enough food with them to last her.  He explained she's high on meds so isn't realising she's still fragile so thinks she can run around.  He said she's been on the nurses laps too.  She may come home tomorrow, they will assess her again in the morning.  Whilst I was there the receptionist mentioned the cost, currently at £1038, and asked if I could start paying today.  I explained that the owner of the dogs is paying so I left a message for him to call the vet. Whilst I was talking to the receptionist he phoned and settled the bill and said he's aware there'll be more costs

I took photos of Bert whilst I was there but not sure how I post photos on here

I'll call nurses again soon but I'm a happier Bert Mum today x

Ps we got Bert at 8 weeks and was told he was a boy, hence her name !

HopeAlone

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 07:05:00 PM »

Oh Annie I'm so sorry to read about what happened to Bert, it turned my stomach just reading about it.
I hope she makes a full recovery and is home with you soon.
ps we thought we had a tom cat when we got our cat didn't discover he was a she until the vet informed us so we now have a lovely ginger queen x
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10