Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 4618 times)

Carolinehunter

« on: October 05, 2017, 08:53:14 AM »

Hi.
I'm 45 and will have my op in the nxt 4 to 5 weeks. Full hysterectomy and ovaries removed.
I was ok with it all when the consultant went through it but since I've read up on the surgical menopause I've had a complete meltdown. The symptoms sound absolutely awful and I've been crying a lot. I feel like I will go to theatre and wake up to never be me again!
I'm absolutely terrified  :'(

Annie0710

Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 09:12:58 AM »

What are the reasons for remiving the womb and ovaries ?

Try to put it into perspective though that 100s of women have this procedure but usually only problematic cases come here for support x

Carolinehunter

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 09:50:48 AM »

I had an ovarian cyst when I was 18 that twisted, it was removed along with the ovary.
I now have a cyst on my left side the size of a large grapefruit, the consultant has said its better to remove my womb and cervix to reduce any risks of cancer in the future.
At the moment I'm ok about the op it's the changes the menopause are going to cause. Night sweats, insomnia, vaginal dryness and loss of libido to name a few

Claireylou

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 09:55:04 AM »

Hi Caroline  :welcomemm:

Please don't be frightened. I had a total hysterectomy with both ovaries removed at the end of May this year. I, like you, was terrified but when I came around from the anaesthetic I knew instantly that I'd done the right thing for me.

I was started on estraderm100 almost straight away. Gave them 3 months to work but felt like they were way too strong for me at that time so last month I switched to estradot50. Estradot is a tiny patch compared to the estraderm and I found they stick better.

I'm doing fine on them but have had a few hot flushes so at my next review I'll ask for estradot75. Have you got an understanding GP? I'm lucky to have found one that'll let me change and tweak my hrt as needed.

Of course, some women enter surgical meno with no hrt but my GP says because of my age I should think about staying on it for at least 5 years due to a strong history of brittle bones in my family.

Some women do find it tougher than others, but I think that's the same for natural meno too. I don't feel any different to before my surgery. In fact I feel better because I was severely anaemic and taking iron tablets (still am) and my levels are slowly rising.

I've given my diet a good looking at, eating as healthy as possible. Also hoping to start on my fitness levels, lots of walking etc.

I had a laparoscipally (sp) assisted vaginal hysterectomy and was able to manage on paracetamol alone.

If you have any questions please don't be afraid to ask. I'll be happy to help in any way I can

Xxx

Annie0710

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 11:54:07 AM »

I had my hysterectomy at 32 along with cervix but kept ovaries.  My ovaries failed soon after and I started on hrt.  No one can say how you'll be but it's important to weigh up problems now v possible problems.  We will all go through meno but no one knows how bad, if at all, we'll suffer.   If I were you I'd want them to ensure you'd get adequate hrt if and when you need it after x

Carolinehunter

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 12:55:56 PM »

Thanks claireylou

It's good to hear a positive story.
My anxiety has hit the roof about it all in the last few days, it feels like after I will never be "me" again. I'm worried about how it will affect my relationship with my wonderful husband (in and out of the bedroom)
So much to take in.

Claireylou

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 01:17:33 PM »

It's perfectly normal to feel anxious and frightened. My relationship with my husband hasn't changed a bit. I don't look any different nor do I feel any different.

Try taking it a step at a time. Get yourself as healthy as possible before the op, get yourself through the op and then see how you are the other side. Do as much reading and research into hrt as you can now. If you decide to go onto it after surgery at least it'll all be in place and ready for you.

Have a look at the hystersisters website, also the hysterectomy association. Both have loads of info for pre and post op. I found that the more research i did beforehand the better I was prepared post surgery xxx  :)

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 07:36:58 PM »

Hi Carolinehunter

:welcomemm:

Just to add - you've been given great advice already - that as you are having TAH and BSO, please also look into replacement testosterone as well as oestrogen - for after your op. I don't know when this would be best started but I imagine the same time as oestrogen ie asap after the operation.

There is some info on this website about it (scroll down for T info):
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/aftermeno.php

I think things have changed since this was written as the NICE Guidelines make provision for wider prescription of T even for women who have womb and ovaries and to help with low libido as well as muscle pains, fatigue and lethargy. Something to discuss with your consultant anyway.

All the best for your op and please do post whenever you need to - as you can see there are several members who have had this operation and can support you though it.

Hurdity x

Carolinehunter

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 10:09:30 PM »

Thank you guys. Hate this awful feeling of anxiety about it all. Wish I could feel a little better and stop crying.

Claireylou

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 09:51:12 AM »

Anxiety and tearfulness were part of my journey too, it's perfectly normal. I think it's the unknown that makes it seem so scary.

I thought I'd wake up after my op with my bits shrivelled, not fancying my hubby and drenched in day/night sweats but I didn't. Since I started HRT my nether regions feel more comfy, I love and fancy my hubby more than ever and I've had a few really small hot flashes.

Just take your time, read as much info as you can on HRT. If you decide you'd like to try it post op, put arrangements in place beforehand so you're good to go once the op is over. It'll save you from having to get to docs while you're recuperating.

There are so many HRT preparations to try and I'm sure that you'll find one to suit.

Sending love xxx

Carolinehunter

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 08:54:31 PM »

Feeling slightly better today. My anxiety about it all is still there but I haven't cried today.
Am I correct in thinking that as I'm having a total hysterectomy(ovaries removed) estrogen is all I should need? HRT is a mine field.
Should I go to my go before surgery, the gynaecology clinical nurse says they would look at HRT 4 weeks after surgery.
Lastly can anyone who is taking estrogen advice if they had virginal dryness or lack of clitirol sensation or did this really make a difference.

Claireylou

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2017, 09:59:30 PM »

Glad you're feeling better  :)

Yes you'll only need the estrogen unless you suffer with endometriosis. You won't need any progesterone because you're having your uterus removed. In my experience I was placed on it 5 days post surgery and I know of other ladies who had their estrogen patch placed before they woke up after surgery. I would maybe go and have a chat with your GP to get some advice or maybe even your consultant?

There are lots of HRT types to try. I chose patches because there is less chance of tummy upsets etc. I change them twice weekly. Or you could try oestragel (sp) which is a gel that you rub into your thigh. Lots of ladies on here are on it, it's so easy to tweak the amount that you need.

I had a bit of vaginal and urethral soreness before my op but since I've been on my HRT things are much improved. My clitoral sensation hasn't changed at all since my op xxx

Carolinehunter

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2017, 10:57:21 PM »

Still anxious and tearful  :( :(
Have done loads of reading on HRT.
Think I'm going to ask about the Evarol 50 patches and testosterone. Does that sound about right?
Is it correct that testosterone isn't licenced in the U.K. but they will give you a smaller dose of male.
From what I've read the evarol is bio identical? I don't fancy anything derived from pregnant mares urine.  I have 3 horses 🐴  >:(

Claireylou

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2017, 08:54:57 AM »

Hi Caroline,

Re the Evarol50(sp), yes i think it's one of the bioidenticals. Any of the hrt preparations that start with "pre" are derived from horse urine.

My GP told me it's best to start off low and work your way up. It's much easier to gradually increase the dose if you need to. You should try and allow about 3 months before swapping and changing to let your body get used to them. Some women also find that they need some vagifem to keep atrophy at bay but I've found the hrt enough at the moment.

I don't know anything about testosterone but maybe someone with more knowledge will come along and help.

Try to keep as busy as you can with post op preparations. It'll keep your mind busy and stop you from "dwelling" on things too much. An hysterectomy is a huge decision and it's bound to take its toll on your mental state. But I decided to think of it as a new chapter in my life and began to plan for any menopause symptoms beforehand. That way allowed me to keep some control over my situation.

Hope this helps xxx

Carolinehunter

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2017, 09:38:19 AM »

Hi claireylou. Thanks again for replying.
Yes I've done nothing but read up on HRT . I think also Hurdity had also said I should be taking a small amount of testosterone. Going to make an appointment with my go tomorrow and hopefully will get to see him before my op.( hope I get a date soon)
Yes when I'm busy it's easy to forget about everything that's on my mind but i work for myself and my mind tends to start working over time.
I've read mixed reports about vagifem and some of these other gels. I'm hopeful for the testosterone and that should hopefully help with that.
We have had some fun with durex tingle in the past though 😂
Pages: [1] 2