Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Acid reflux  (Read 6121 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Acid reflux
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2017, 08:01:13 PM »

It's OK Debbie  ;)

I can feel it start the moment I lay down  :-\

Debbielev

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2017, 08:15:50 PM »

Oh god I hate this menopause...... Can anyone throw any light on the cortisol kicking in early hours of the morning at all.
I awake st this time anxious....or is it acid reflux
Am driving myself maddddd
Xx

Taz2

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2017, 10:34:27 PM »

Yammy1

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2017, 06:49:39 AM »

Great article Taz2, very interesting thank you for sharing, will be looking into herbs as an alternative

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2017, 11:33:43 AM »

Tnx for the comments - it helps to talk ;-)

I find that making a list to take to my GP useful so that I don't forget anything  ::)

allybally

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2017, 05:00:21 PM »

I had a bad bout of this, it was so bad it used to make me vomit.I got prescribed Omeprazole and Gaviscon which worked well, I no longer take the Omeprazole unless really needed. Things which made it worse were red wine, spicy food, tomato soup, large meals, letting my stomach get too empty.. I try eat little and often now and not too late in the evening and it has helped a lot, lying flat is not good either I found, so try sleeping on higher pillows or prop the bed legs up! hope you feel better soon....x

Taz2

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2017, 07:39:13 PM »

I've just come back from seeing the new GP. Very young but very nice - quite fit!  ;D

He said that I was right to see him as changes of any kind digestive wise over the age of 50 should be checked out. Anyway after an examination of tummy and throat he prescribed Gaviscon liquid to be taken after meals and at bedtime. Do this for a month and then go back. If it hasn't settled then I will need an endoscopy to check that everything is ok and that there is no sign of cancer.

Taz x

Autumnlady

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2017, 04:37:37 PM »

Hi everyone

I have had reflux problems for some 15 years now and been on Omeprazole for around 13 of them. I started off with 20mg morning and night. After several months I went to just 20mg at night and did so for most of those 13 years. At the beginning of this year I was so bad I could hardly talk. It hurt me to. I have had that problem crop up many times over the years but it was extra bad. The doc put me back on 40mg. This worked for about 2 months and then the old problems were back, with some extra ones.

I did some research on the net (Yes, it can be the wrong thing to do lols!) But I was desperate and didn't feel the omeprazole was helping me. I was refluxing in the night, every night. My throat was sore down one side all the time. I could feel the acid coming up into my throat and I would wake thinking I would choke. Scary!

Anyway, I have tried all the diets, low acid, etc. Which helped a bit but I could never understand why one day I could get away with eating something but not another time. Nothing added up.

To cut a very long story short I found a diet called FAST TRACT DIET.  It is a low carb diet. Not for the faint hearted tbh. But if you are worried enough you will do it and feel much better for it.

Basically the diet was founded by a man who did lots of research. I think he is a chemist. Anyway, he found that it is not so much acidic foods causing the problem but the way in which foods ferment in the small intestine and cause an overload of bad bacteria (SIBO) SMALL INTESTINAL BACTERIAL OBSTRUCTION.

A lot of gas is made from the bacterial obstruction. So much so that when the gases are released, especially when lying down, it can come straight up to the throat and mouth and cause the problems spoken about in this post.

I have been on the diet for 7 months now. Still not perfect but so very much better through this diet. I have also got down to 10mg Omeprazole which I take at night. I am hoping to come off altogether eventually.

If anyone is on FB look up FAST TRACT DIET by Rob ------ sorry, forgot his second name, but I am sure you will find it. It's a private group so you will have to join it. There is loads of help and ideas for food. I am really enjoying my food now. When I go back to processed foods I am not enjoying them.

This diet is good for lots of digestive problems. It really does work if you can stick with it. I do break my diet at least once a week but not with carbs/starch/grains.  You'll be surprised what you can eat and be ok with though - acidic foods for one. There is a book you can buy to explain it all. And it's genuine!

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2017, 06:19:16 PM »

Lots of GPs believe that some of these reflux 'aids' can do more harm than good so should be used short-term only.  If you look at Dr James le Fanu's column in the Monday daily telegraph you will see his past comments about Omeprazole ........

I have found good old rennies is more gentle and chewable, 2 helps in the early hours.

Nellie Noo

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2017, 02:56:01 PM »

Autumn lady ... this makes sense ! Ive suffered for ten years and its so inconsistent . Sometimes will be really good with my diet and blow me .. agony .and then might have a tomato or glass of wine and get away with it . !! Do think fluctuating hormones have made it so much worse . Thank you will have a look at this ! Clkd ... thank you ...but taking rennies for this is like taking asprin for a severe migraine . I would love it if i could do without the omprezole but some days i wouldnt function without it ! Its dreadful ie the burning mouth .. so painful . Glad to say its much better this week x

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2017, 03:00:47 PM »

Do you keep a food diary Nellie Noo?  Charting what you eat/drink and when, also what time you go to bed and even when you sit up, walk, lay down ........ right now I have back-ground reflux but I've had a cuppa and a chocolate yoghurt  ::)

Do read James' articles regarding 'omprezole' too ;-)
Pages: 1 [2]