Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Why doctors need to remember that sick patients were once healty people.  (Read 1901 times)

Milamam

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_59b29f27e4b0bef3378cdf78?utm_campaign=hp_fb_pages&utm_source=thescope_fb&utm_medium=facebook&ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000042

Such an great view of how the medical profession has slowly forgotten the human /holistic site of it all! I did enjoy reading this article so much!

Milamam

Butterfly22

Re: Why doctors need to remember that sick patients were once healty people.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 06:25:51 PM »

I'll have a read of this thank you, I guess you forget yourself you were not always moaning and poorly. Xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 07:52:49 PM »

I can't read the article as it's got photos over it but having worked in a Hospital for many years, it was common for me/Nurses to have to explain to patients exactly what the Consultants/SHOs etc. actually meant  ::)

I always said, loudly, that all medics should have a week in a Hospital bed B4 being allowed onto the Ward as a Doctor! 

Milamam

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 03:48:18 AM »

Absolutely! That's what I thought too, CKLD!
Milamam

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 02:47:29 PM »

...... and don't get me started on those Consultants with knowledge but no bed-side manner  :'(

Butterfly22

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 05:02:31 PM »

I no it's a shame, do doctors actually think we like feeling like crap, I've had ME for 18 nearly 19 years now and an invisible illness is extremely hard. Even friends don't seem to get it, I've lost friends because I'm unable to do things or keep plans.
I was a very lively person before, I loved going out dancing all night, loved working always busy.
Now it's planning a small task, pacing, what what I'm eating ect.
I'm not being ill for the fun of it. Xx

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 05:36:04 PM »

Oh well said!  I had friends walk way when I suffered anxiety attacks which kept me indoors, where I felt safer.  I halved my C.mas card list quite fast!  Depression meant that I was unable to get out of bed  :-\ until the meds kicked in.  It was often easier not to tell people but to muddle through, now I'm up front - others should not rely on me for their happiness ;-).  When I do appear, it should be a bonus  :-*

dahliagirl

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 07:50:57 PM »

My Christmas card list went right down when I was feeling down.

I was really sad about it, but I don't like sending them anyway, so I don't worry now.  I have a nice time with the people I see and send them to the ones I have to (great aunts etc).

I think doctors only get to see people when they are ill these days as consultations are so short and people are out of hospital so quickly. It must be hard to remember what they look like.  I had a kidney stone once and was in so much pain and throwing up, that I could hardly speak.  I saw a GP, out of hours, and another GP, then the original GP a week later for re-tests.  Someone I know worked in A&E and said kidney stones are the best thing - you give someone an injection and a short while later, they come to life and are happy and grateful.  Very rewarding  ;)  I always regret not going to A&E.

Butterfly22

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 09:06:04 PM »

I do treasure the people i have in my life (not many) as people who stopped inviting me as I stopped drinking etc are not the type of friends I want.
most my friends I don't see often but always there if I need a chat and all friends from my teenager years mostly.
Kidney stones sound awful 😢
I always think unless doctors can you you a pill they don't want to no.
I remember being at the hospital (been going since I had my daughter) to find out why I was so exsausted all the time, I had sad lamps everything! When ME was mentioned they discharged me and said your on your own!!!
Wow thanks!