Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Prozac  (Read 3328 times)

SIDL02

Prozac
« on: September 24, 2017, 02:37:56 AM »

Hello again ladies,

I have mentioned in my previous posts that as a result of my family history of breast cancer and being 42, I am unable to use HRT.  I have ben through the peri menopausal stage and have now entered full blown menopause (oh the joys!!!) So far I have managed to get by without any medicinal treatment but I've reached a stage where the symptoms are starting to take there toll so I went to my doctor on Friday who has prescribed me Fluoxetine.  I have read quite positive reviews with regards to it helping with menopausal symptoms but I wondered if I could hear from any of you who have used it personally and what your thoughts/experiences have been?

Thank you,
Andrea x

NorthArm

Re: Prozac
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 06:05:39 AM »

Hi SIDL02

I took it, but it didn't work for me.....strange, as I had taken it short term 3 - 6 months on two occasions in my twenties and thirties with wonderful results. Turns out I needed oestrogen.

Have you looked into tibolone and duoxetine?

Tibolone is a non hormonal steroid (lol, not anabolic!) which acts like our natural hormones in our bodies.

Duoxetine is an SERM (selective estrogen) hrt medication and is often prescribed for ladies who are surviving oestrogen sensitive breast cancers.

Good luck with it all xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 03:27:19 PM »

It made me have rages  :cuss: .........

I suggest that you visit your GP and ask for the specific blood test to see whether your close relatives had a cancer that you are likely to have inherited.  Then you will be able to make a more informed choice, it's no good GPs/Consultants saying "because your Mum had breast cancer" - one needs to know if you would be affected and if so, how likely HRT is to trigger that particular cancer.

Mine was oestrogen dominant but should push come to shove I would insist on HRT.  Quality of Life is important, having suffered from depression since 1988 and now feeling well most days, I want to continue feeling enabled.

The other option is to have breasts removed but not many Surgeons make that suggestion to women crippled with menopause symptoms.

Vieja Bruja

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 02:27:27 PM »

Fluoxetine never worked for me, the side effects from that were worse than the peri symptoms ! I had terrible vivid dreams/nightmares, sleepless nights, unbelievable thirst and permanent 'brain fog', I broke so many cups (accidentally) and walked into so many door frames. 

However, it does work for some and is worth trying it out, its easy enough to come off if you're on a low dose.

I'm not sure about other alternatives though, sorry x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 03:58:49 PM »

Have you read the treatment banner above?  Make notes  ;).  Do you think that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary would be useful?

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 07:22:35 PM »

I think we made suggestions re establishing your breast cancer risk on your other thread?  I agree with CLKD that it would be good to perhaps get a test to find out quite what your risk is likely to be before ruling out HRT completely - especially at your young age.

Having said that there was a recent paper published which listed all the alternatives to HRT and the scientific evidence for them - I might have posted this link before but in case not - here it is again:

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2053369117711646?hootPostID=6690d93930a10b86869c48433ab506e7

This link says the Paroxetine is the SSRI with the best evidence for efficacy at low dose although others do have some evidence, and some have more side effects or need to be taken at higher doses. Obviously individuals will vary but might be worth having a read of this?

Hurdity x