Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Low Vitamin D levels  (Read 8830 times)

EnglishRose

Re: Low Vitamin D levels
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2018, 12:01:55 AM »

I know this has been discussed here but how long is it likely to be B4 a person feels benefit once taking tablets?

Is it the case that the longer the body has been depleted the longer it will be for the body to re-adjust?

Thanks.

I like many was deficient years ago, I knew before the doctor did. In fact he told me that only elderly people in nursing homes get d deficient. Times have changed and it's now a well known epidemic.
I started takkg 10,000 IUs a day.
Sadly I did not notice any difference to my crappy immune system  five months later when I was at 80 serum levels.

It's important you take K2 with D it converts the D into the bones. Otherwise it calcifies in your organs if you're taking high doses especially.
Also D3 needs magnesium. It uses what ever you have in your reserve so if you don't take magnesium and take D3 it will rape your supplies making you magnesium deficient
X

Droopeydrawers

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2018, 10:10:09 AM »

Better You do a vit D+K2 oral spray.highly recommend.it by passes the liver etc just spray into mouth daily much better absorbed you can get on Amazon.😘DD

Dierdre

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2018, 10:18:47 AM »

Do you need to take K2 and magnesium with the low RDA supermarket brands of vit D ?

Shadyglade

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2018, 10:29:16 AM »

With regard to K2, I must admit it doubted it necessity as a supplement, because I could not find any reliable info about it.  I have now done another search and have found some which indicates is it at least necessary for some people.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/vitamin-k2#sources

If you read this it shows that most research has be 'observational', which is great as a social science tool but is only useful as a first step is medical science.  There are just too many variables.  Where the study group live, what they eat, do they drink/smoke, etc.,  In fact what is eaten is very important as K2 is missing from many peoples diets but as the article shows you really need to be either vegetarian, vegan, non dairy or on a low fat diet to be deficient. The problem with non grass feed live stock does not apply to the UK.  There is a very good link on the web page which gives a comprehensive list of K2 high foods.

Personally I think I eat plenty of the foodstuffs for good K2 intake, so I will not supplement, but I can see that there may be some that do need it.

Shadyglade

PS  Welcome back Englishrose :)

EnglishRose

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2018, 10:44:11 AM »

Better You do a vit D+K2 oral spray.highly recommend.it by passes the liver etc just spray into mouth daily much better absorbed you can get on Amazon.😘DD

Agreed I use liquid drops 2000 IUs per drop with k2 in it. Off Amazon

EnglishRose

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2018, 10:46:31 AM »

Completely agree Englishrose, shame doctors don't tell you the bit about K2 and magnesium and just prescribe D3 but then it's the cheap option I suppose.

It is especially bad when they prescribe 50,000 IUs a week.  But then nutrition is very much outside of a GPs training
My own doctor cut me off mid sentence with “I'm not trained in nutrition”
It's a good job I did my own research then! 😁

Shadyglade

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2018, 12:43:21 PM »

Do you think it applies to those with absorption problems too SG?  I base y requirements on the fact that I have digestive issues and have to take lansoprazole which cuts down the acid in my stomach.  If taken long term it's recommended you have your magnesium levels checked so it makes me wonder if other nutrients could be depleted too.  The one I take contains D3, K2, magnesium, zinc and boron.  The thing is the GP never suggests checking magnesium, I have to ask and I've only asked once in the 6 years I've been taking it which was a year after I started taking it.  Since I was diagnosed with low Vit D a few years ago after the initial prescribed supplement (d3) for three months I've just carried it on myself with the combined one and have managed to maintain a good level of the D.  I must remember to ask for a recheck of the magnesium out of interest.

Hi sparkle,

I am doing my Gallic shrug now because I don't know the answer to your question.  I assume that due to absorption problems, you probably do.  However, as far as I know there is no developed test for K2 levels and no optimum level established.  Also I have read that people with blood clotting issues/take blood clotting medication, should check before they take it.

Don't get me wrong I am pro supplementation in general.  I take a multi vitamin (half dose) which has Vit D (100% in the half dose), Magnesium (again low dose) and one for my eyesight who's name I forget.  The problems is, like with any health issue, it's very individual.  I know we all can be vitamin deficient as we get older but I am of the 'top up' school of thought, and not mega doses.  Vitamins can cause problems such as calcium, which is now know to be ineffective and possible harmful as a supplement.   

None of us is an expert on here so I would be guided by your own health knowledge, research, your doctor and gut instinct.

Not easy is it. ::)

EnglishRose

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2018, 06:15:21 PM »

Do you think it applies to those with absorption problems too SG?  I base y requirements on the fact that I have digestive issues and have to take lansoprazole which cuts down the acid in my stomach.  If taken long term it's recommended you have your magnesium levels checked so it makes me wonder if other nutrients could be depleted too.  The one I take contains D3, K2, magnesium, zinc and boron.  The thing is the GP never suggests checking magnesium, I have to ask and I've only asked once in the 6 years I've been taking it which was a year after I started taking it.  Since I was diagnosed with low Vit D a few years ago after the initial prescribed supplement (d3) for three months I've just carried it on myself with the combined one and have managed to maintain a good level of the D.  I must remember to ask for a recheck of the magnesium out of interest.

Hi sparkle,

I am doing my Gallic shrug now because I don't know the answer to your question.  I assume that due to absorption problems, you probably do.  However, as far as I know there is no developed test for K2 levels and no optimum level established.  Also I have read that people with blood clotting issues/take blood clotting medication, should check before they take it.

Don't get me wrong I am pro supplementation in general.  I take a multi vitamin (half dose) which has Vit D (100% in the half dose), Magnesium (again low dose) and one for my eyesight who's name I forget.  The problems is, like with any health issue, it's very individual.  I know we all can be vitamin deficient as we get older but I am of the 'top up' school of thought, and not mega doses.  Vitamins can cause problems such as calcium, which is now know to be ineffective and possible harmful as a supplement.   

None of us is an expert on here so I would be guided by your own health knowledge, research, your doctor and gut instinct.

Not easy is it. ::)

I won't take a multi bc there's things in there we don't need or may not agree with us.. it is hard.

Ideally vegetable juice is s good way forward. I did that for a while.. maybe I'll fimd the motivation to get back into it again.

Hezzalady67!

« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2019, 10:58:07 PM »

I posted a while ago about fatigue. Was diagnosed by a blood text as deficient in Vit D. Been on colecalciferol (20micrograms per day) for about three weeks, but still can hardly do anything without major fatigue.

I do eat fish and eggs quite a lot and I do go out in the sunshine, so why could I have this deficiency?

Shadyglade

« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2019, 11:15:11 PM »

It's very common in temperant regions. It's a combination of lack of sunshine though the winter, use of sun cream and probably individual genetics. Don't forget that we spend a lot of time indoors, even in the summer, compared to our ancestors.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2019, 11:16:09 PM »

It takes a while for the uptake of VitD ........ I noticed an improvement in about 3 weeks.  Exercise boosts morale too so on clear days, get out for a brisk walk?
Pages: 1 2 [3]