Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Evening primrose oil, never again  (Read 8893 times)

Yammy1

Evening primrose oil, never again
« on: September 13, 2017, 07:23:16 AM »

I started taking evening primrose oil last week and have been Feeling extremely anxious since. Yesterday I took the worst panic attack I've had in years. I googles e.p.o. And was amazed to see how many people ( especially menopausal) who had this reaction to it. Seemingly it can effect your hormonal balance and make you worse. I've stopped today and really hope the panic and anxiety subside enough for me to function. I'm not claiming that the e.p.o caused this as it could be coincidental but I'll keep,you're posted. Just wondering if anyone else has similar experience

Hurdity

Re: Evening primrose oil, never again
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 07:43:30 AM »

Sorry to hear about your anxiety. I used this for breast pain during menstrual cycle years ago when it was available on NHS - I'm not sure whether it did anything actually (good or bad!) and eventually went out of date. It is not recommended for pms any more (NICE).

Perhaps try thinking/calming self-help strategies?

Hurdity x

Yammy1

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 01:36:23 PM »

thank you both for your reply. i'm still anxious today but made it to the shops without freaking out so a little step forward. I know from past experience that when panic gets hold it's hard to shake off, but I'm trying, just so hard at times, feeling okay one minute and then a gut wrenching wave of panic from the pit of my stomach.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 03:15:03 PM »

Maybe it's the fillers etc. that caused the reaction, rather than the evening primrose oil which of course is 'natural' although I've never thought to cut my flowers for use - as a flower they are stunning, the plants grow to over 5ft tall and the flowers open quietly at dusk. Insects etc. love 'em.

Roseneath

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 07:20:00 PM »

Hey yammy1 - this is a co-incidence. I bought some Evening Primrose 1000mg (high strength) today after doing a bit of on-line research. I thought at worse it would just be a placebo. Took one with lunch. Three hours later I had a sudden melt down;a real panic wobbly. Had to go and lie down and do breathing which is unusual for me.  I had felt OK ish all day and it was very sudden. Made myself go out for dinner with the family and gradually felt better. Maybe my sugar was low or just a hormone drop but I thought I would check this site for similar experiences. I think I am so desperate not to feel anxious anymore it is hard to view things rationally. Won't be touching the stuff again though...