Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Homeopathy any success stories or horror stories!  (Read 3567 times)

Fortysomethibg

Homeopathy any success stories or horror stories!
« on: September 12, 2017, 06:02:32 PM »

Hi

I haved booked appointment with homeopath for menopausal symptoms and stress, aches and pains, anxiety etc.

Just wondering if I am being silly as people keep telling me its a waste of money.

I would be grateful if people could share their experiences please.

I would love to hear asap as my appointment is tomorrow afternoon and I am having second thoughts!

bramble

Re: Homeopathy any success stories or horror stories!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 06:12:21 PM »

I am a great believer in homeopathy having used it for the last 30 years. For migraine and joint pain. I would recommend going to a bona-fide one though. I have had 2 in the past, the first one being the very famous Jan de Vries and the second one being also a NHS doctor at the medical practise I was registered with.

Bramble

Fortysomethibg

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 06:24:37 PM »

Thanks Bramble. The one I am booked with has been highly recommended.

bramble

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 07:36:44 PM »

Let me know how you get on.

Bramble

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 07:12:27 AM »

Hi Fortysomethibg

There was a discussion thread on it not so long ago here – there is a bit of a meander into IBS but the arguments are helpful:

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,33781.0.html

The general consensus is that there is no scientific basis for it – the concept of infinite dilution was demonstrated to be nonsensical. The treatments are just sugar pills with virtual nothing of the supposed curative ingredient.
The latest paper (June 2017) on non-hormonal treatments in the journal of the British menopause society does not even mention it:

Consensus statement for non-hormonal-based treatments for menopausal symptoms

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2053369117711646?hootPostID=6690d93930a10b86869c48433ab506e7

Nor does the North American Menopause Society in their position statement:

http://www.menopause.org/docs/default-source/professional/pap-pdf-meno-d-15-00241-minus-trim-cme.pdf

Ditto the RCOG in their scientific impact paper:

https://www.rcog.org.uk/globalassets/documents/guidelines/scientific-impact-papers/sip_6.pdf

The US Government has to admit they don't work – article by IFLScience here:

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/us-government-says-all-homeopathic-products-now-have-admit-dont-work/

As CLKD says in the other thread if it worked it would be available on NHS and there are article by Ben Goldacre which evaluate its merit.

It is likely that the effect is purely placebo – which itself is a powerful effect  so if you want to try it, it won't do you any harm – although I would question spending a lot of money on such a treatment.

The main thing is it won't replace oestrogen so if you are reach menopause at less than the average age of 51/52 then HRT is advised – irrespective of your perception of symptoms such as flush and sweats, in order to help prevent future adverse health consequences on bones and cardiovascular system for example.

It's your decision though, but hope this helps to give you some objective information, in addition to personal experiences described. Glad you feel better bramble :)

I hope this is in time for you - and do let us know how you get on!

Hurdity x

dangermouse

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 03:18:26 PM »

Hey, there's quite a recent thread here about our actually experiences of homeopathy, which may be helpful:

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,33781.0.html

Although science can't explain it due to a lack of direct cause and effect, the same can be said for hypnosis and both are used in hospitals in the UK and abroad.

I think the NHS only just stopped funding homeopathy (I suspect due to the massive funding problems) which is a shame.

Hypnosis is still being used as an alternative to pain control and anaesthesia. I was trained by the teaching therapists at the Priory and as they are under NICE they said they could do the same as me but had to call it 'meditation' (which of course it isn't but insurance companies prefer the terminology!).

I suspect as with all doctors/practitioners it's about finding a good homeopath.

bramble

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 01:57:16 PM »

Actually it is available on NHS. My second dr was a nhs gp and he gave me homeopathic remedies during the course of a normal NHS appointment at my local health centre. It was only later when I moved outside the area, did I have to see him privately.
Homeopathy certainly helped in my case when I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in my twenties and all the NHS could offer at that time was steroids. Using the tinctures and potions from JdV along with his recommendations on what to avoid eating, went a long way to making my life bearable. Ditto when I had regular migraines.
Just because there isn't a scientific paper to prove it's efficacy doesn't mean it doesn't work. Doesn't the Queen have a homeopathic doctor?
Bramble

bramble

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 07:42:23 PM »

How did you get on Fortysomething?
Bramble