Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Can shakers  (Read 3858 times)

cubagirl

Can shakers
« on: April 08, 2017, 03:29:06 PM »

Today, dragged myself out as needed stuff at supermarket. Hubby had offered, but I felt a need to be sure of getting right stuff. Anyway, there was someone collecting for kidney research & I decided to make a donation on the way out when I had change. So shopping bought, blooming change machine gave me tons of 2P pieces. These I decided to pop in can on way out, looked like I'd been singing.  ;D If only my throat & lungs were able. Can shaker wasn't very appreciative of getting so many coins, saying that he hoped there were higher value ones  too! Blooming cheek. If I hadn't been feeling so rubbish I'd have given him an earful!!!

babyjane

Re: Can shakers
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 03:59:28 PM »

charity collecting is not what it used to be.  I have had emotional blackmail, pleading, personal comments and hostility so now we just support our chosen charities and no longer respond to street/door to door collectors.

I was once cold called on the telephone asking if I would undertake a house to house charity collection round.  I declined and was made to feel like a terrible person by the caller.  It was upsetting as she did not know me or anything about my life or whether we already supported any charities.  No wonder charities are not getting as much support as they used to.

cubagirl

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 05:57:53 PM »

I choose my charities too & have given to this one in the past, but not any more. Lesson learned.

Evelyn63

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 06:04:47 PM »

I think today in our local Tesco there was at least two different charities collecting, when we went in and a further different one on leaving !  I assume they are allocated a slot each, but its a bit of overkill having so many.  I totally agree about some of the hardshell ones. I have found Marie Curie particularly bad, quite an aggressive approach and as you say they have no idea of my personal situation.  We have one or two we subscribe too and the rest of the begging letters go straight into the bin.   The last lot of ballot tickets I was sent ( unsolicited) I just put in the bin too.

babyjane

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 07:17:46 PM »

I got very annoyed by Centrepoint a while back.  Even though we sponsor a room already we were getting lots of letters and phone calls asking us to increase our sponsorship.  Since we told them if they didn't stop we would cancel our sponsorship they have left us alone.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 07:22:12 PM »

Do have a look-see at the Company Accounts of the Charity B4 you decide which one to support  ;).  I was shocked  :o.

I tend to give physically by taking clothes, sleeping bags etc. to the homeless shelter; and by buying books/stuff and taking books I can support locally although even the Hospice is accumulating monies faster than it can be spent. 

Ju Ju

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 07:32:14 PM »

The trouble is that charities may may not get the funds they used to be allocated. Cruse, for example, get referrals from GPs, but no funding with it anymore. Lots of funding avenues have disappeared, but they try to do an invaluable job. They struggle to pay overheads and fund training. I'm sure it's the same with other charities. I do not like being accosted in the street, and will always say no.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 07:35:20 PM »

All Charities have to publish their Annual Accounts. 

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 02:00:51 PM »

Some 800 cases of charity fraud were reported in the UK last year. But with police warning that they represent just a fraction of the number actually taking place, is enough being done to deal with the scammers?

BBC News today

Also, 2 weeks ago it was reported that a woman who set up a Charity 2 support women via a 'phone-line in the 1990s took over £30,000 from funds.  Why hadn't she spent it?

CaroleM

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 10:38:12 PM »

I simply decline, with a smile. If persistent, again I smile and I tell him/him that I have long standing charities I subscribe to.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 04:40:37 PM »

If you read today's Telegraph it explains it on the front page.  A way of stopping unsolicited begging letters - remember the lady that died due to being over-whelmed by pens, calendars etc., and the RNLI doesn't have an on-line catalogue this year.