Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan vaginally?  (Read 40636 times)

jane980

Utrogestan vaginally?
« on: August 31, 2017, 01:11:33 PM »

Hi
This is my second post here and after reading as much info about utrogestan i could find im still unsure as to how to take it.  I took one utrogestan orally when i first got them and the next morning i was feeling quite angry.  This scared me and i was put off instantly.  ive asked my doc about using them vaginally but she said that as they are designed for orally i should still try and changed the dose to 200 for a shorter period of time.  I did try 2 nights vaginally and had no side effects so i dont know what to do now.  I really need to use the HRT as my urologist and i have decided that my peeing blood and bladder infections when i have my period are definitely low oestrogen related.  Ive missed this months period but had very slight period pains and had no blood in my pee so all the aches, pains, anxiety, depression, peeing blood, constipation, stomach pains and acid reflux Im now sure are peri.  Ive got to the point where my docs are sick of seeing me and i dont want to go back.  Do i try vaginally with 2 pumps of estrogel? Help...

dazned

Re: Utrogestan vaginally?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 01:21:58 PM »

Yes you use them vaginally,lots of ladies do,I did when I used them. ::)

jane980

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 02:46:52 PM »

Did you use the 100mg capsule and how many days?

dazned

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 06:24:02 PM »

200mg x 10 days.

jane980

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 08:29:06 PM »

Sorry for asking more questions but did you have the 100mg capsules and use 2. I've just inserted one tonight and put 2 pumps of estrogel on. How long before I might feel differently?

dazned

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 08:19:11 AM »

I had 200mg ,but others use 2x 100mg and some only use 1 x100 mg . 200mg is the licenced dose though,any deviation from this should be taken under the guidance of gp. Whilst using the utrogeston some ladies report a sedated feeling and general feeling under the weather,you might not,everyone reacts different. Hope you settle soon.

Freckles

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 09:35:18 PM »

I use 100mg vaginally for 7 days. Prescribed by Prof Studd. Works better for me than oral application.  No way could I manage 200mg for 10 days (or longer as per NHS advice!) as progesterone  sensitive/intolerant, so don't want to go back to the bad old days of Femoston tablets.  Progesterone makes me anxious, low mood, bit unreal etc, so the minimum I can use, health wise, the better.

Mary G

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 01:46:44 PM »

I'm with Freckles and the 100mg Utrogestan vaginally for 7 days which is more than enough for me - confirmed by regular uterine ultrasound scans.  I am surprised that your doctor is unaware that Utrogestan capsules can be used both orally and vaginally although I think they work far more effectively vaginally because you don't end up losing half of it in your digestive system.  Also, I find they have fewer side effects when used vaginally - try to use a syringe and place it next to the cervix.  You can usually get away with taking less Utrogestan if you use it vaginally because more of it gets to the womb. 

If you are having side effects, why not try using 100mg instead of 200mg?  You could have a scan at some point to make sure it is working properly. 

jane980

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 07:03:51 AM »

Hi
Thanks for the replies. I have done a few days on 100mg vaginally and 2 pumps of estrogel but my hot flushes seem to have got worse!? I was only getting one hot flush through the night and none through the day. I don't feel any better yet either, I know it's only been a few days though...

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 07:44:35 AM »

Hi jane980

The dose of oestrogen you need to feel better partly depends where you are in menopause re periods etc - and how long you have been without it.

Many women find the gel works immediately and brilliantly for them although others find it takes a while to settle. I have never used it having only used patches - which have worked like a charm.

I also use utrogestan vaginally - in my case I take it every 6-8 weeks because I am well post-menopause and take 200 mg (2 x 100 mg) x 12 days approx (with the OK from my doctor). As Dazned says the licensed dose is 200 mg and the length of time 12 days per cycle although some doctors will deviate from this.

There is research which shows that less is needed when used vaginally because more gets to the uterus like this but as dazned says this should be under medical supervision. Unfortunately many doctors are not aware of the vaginal use but it is fine to use it this way.

If you are not getting side effects from vaginal use then continue this way and see how you get on. Were you not told to start the HRT at the start of your period and then take the Utrogestan days 15-26? If you take utrogestan continuously the dose is 100 mg - although I doubt there are many women taking it vaginally on this basis?

I hope you soon begin to feel better on the gel :)

Hurdity x