Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: IRON PATCH?  (Read 2293 times)

Yammy1

IRON PATCH?
« on: August 29, 2017, 07:14:14 PM »

Hi all recently told i have very low iron and put on iron tablets 325mgs so very strong, they nearly killed me my stomach was in bits and my hiatus hernia still hasn't settled, I also got very dizzy, and still am. I googled iron patches and found a site in America that sell them but I was wondering if they are available in the U.K. I live in Ireland and when I asked in the chemist they said they never heard of them. I really need the iron but my stomach can't handle the tablet and the chemist offered me spatone but it's only 5mgs so I don't think that will do anything for me x

Taz2

Re: IRON PATCH?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 07:42:49 PM »

I hadn't heard of a patch either, although it sounds a good idea if you had problems with the tablets, so I Googled it and came up with this http://www.goodhormonehealth.com/IronDeficiencyandFatigue6.pdf. It's called IronPlus.

Do you know how low your iron was? I think you should go back to your doctor to reassess the problem especially if you are still dizzy.

Taz x

Yammy1

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 07:54:21 PM »

Thank you taz2, I don't know what level was doc just rang and said in her words' I was running on empty'. I know my diet is very bad so Dh bought me an electric soup maker and it works a treat. I'm now getting plenty of greens in soup form and because it's home made so I know exactly what's in it. I will try get appointment with doc and have a chat, maybe the spatone is better than nothing and chemist said it is gentler on stomach even though it's a very low dose

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 09:53:00 PM »

If you are "running on empty" then I do think you will need an iron supplement to bring your levels back up. It's great that you are eating a much better diet but you may need the pills to get you back up to the right amount and then keep the level ok by diet.

Low iron can have a detrimental effect on the heart and lungs if it's allowed to continue so it's important to treat it. Have you had any investigations as to why you are low in iron? There is info here about iron deficiency anaemia https://beta.nhs.uk/conditions/iron-deficiency-anaemia/?WT.mc_id=organic_split

Let us know how you get on

Taz x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 10:01:10 PM »

I find the slow release Feraglobin capsules are good and don't upset my stomach at all. DG x

Yammy1

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 06:14:33 AM »

Thank you both, I am going to try a lower dose iron today as I'm going away on Sunday to Spain for a few days and I don't want to be feeling like this x

Annie0710

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 07:10:46 AM »

Yammy I'm really surprised they didn't offer you a transfusion then a couple of months of iron tablets.  That would seem the most logical thing if it's low enough for them to call you , as usually if you're just on/under the range they'll say it's ok x

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 07:34:29 AM »

I use Floradix herbal liquid iron tonic which is very gentle on the stomach and will also bring your iron levels up. Available from H&B - maybe even Boots, and also online. I used this when pregnant and I become anaemic - and the tablets didn;t agree with me and I still take it in small doses from time to time.

Hurdity x

Yammy1

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 09:12:13 AM »

On day 3 of spatone, so far tummy ok so fingers crossed it will start to work soon, off to Vigo in Spain in the morning for a few days so hopefully I will have a bit more energy.

Yammy1

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 08:23:10 PM »

Hi all, well back from hols today, and while I did my best to enjoy it my stomach is really acting up, it's not normal heartburn my stomach keeps churning and gurgling but my chest feels like it's on fire. Really uncomfortable, and I'm still getting lightheaded. It's so disheartening when your looking forward to a break away and all you can think about is all the different aches and weird symptoms your feeling. I even took a few panic attacks while away which I haven't really had for some months. My chest is so uncomfortable, it's not chest pain as such sore and burning, I take lanzaprol every morning but it doesn't seem to be working anymore  :'(. This strange burning sensation is across my chest and breasts. Is this normal in meno, I never had the sore boobs before

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 08:43:25 AM »

Hi Yammy1

if you are still getting chest pains that are unusual for you which you can't put down to every day aches and pains then I would see the doc despite the iron issue.  Is this acid reflux though ( never had this so don't know the sensation - but sounds as though it could be?). I presume you are still taking it ie the Spatone?

Hurdity x

Yammy1

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 05:22:35 PM »

Hi Hurdity, thank you for reply, it's not chest pain as such and as my heart has been checked out i'm not too concerned but I just remembered today that the last time my hiatus hernia got really bad I had the same kind of symptoms that I'm having now, dizzy, bloated, and burning sore chest. I think being away for a few days and eating at odd times and having a few beverages  ;) has set it off, I am also getting some panic attacks so this wont help tummy issues. I'll see how I go over the weekend and if no better will try get apt, with doc