Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Anyone tried Reiki ?  (Read 3466 times)

Roseneath

Anyone tried Reiki ?
« on: August 27, 2017, 10:18:07 AM »

Interested to see if anyone has tried it, especially for anxiety. I know there is no scientific basis for it other than it being ' time out' and relaxing.... maybe a massage would have the same effect!, but there is someone if town just opened up & I am up for anything that might help, placebo or not!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Anyone tried Reiki ?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 08:52:06 PM »

Nowt wrong with the placebo effect!  I don't go because I don't want to give my personal details to anyone else - how a hands off therapy can work beats me  ::).  If you have to pay for it  :-\

bramble

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 11:16:33 AM »

Yes I had Reiki for years. Just stopped because the therapist moved. I found it very relaxing.

Bramble

walkingthedog

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 02:11:19 PM »

I'm really not into new age stuff but from my mbdfulness i have moved into meditation and the person who runs it does reiki, she did some on my ears and i have to admit the eczema hasn't been as bad.
As ckld says there's nothing wrong with placebos

bramble

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 04:03:09 PM »

I think it is doing it a bit of a disservice calling it a placebo. It is an alternative treatment done by trained and skilled practicioners.

Bramble

Roseneath

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 09:12:17 PM »

Had the Recki ladies! (One hour, £30). It was rather mind blowing to be honest. I was in the middle of a really low anxious period (end of month) and was all set to cancel and stay home. After I felt re-charged, re-set. Parts of it were strange to say the least. I lay on damp, coldish towels in a nice room with calming music and incense. The lady put her hands lightly on my head and face.  Her hands were ice cold to start but after a few minutes they became really hot, dry heat. She then went to various parts of my body (legging and vest top not nude!) and lightly put her hands over. In some places I could feel quite large twinges of nerves. It was all very relaxing. After she had finnished the towels were really warm. I even checked if there was an elextric blanket under (there wasn't). She admitted there is no scientific evidence at all as to how / if it works. When I came out everything looked really bright and I just floated home. Felt chilled until the kids came back from school etc. Would probably have again as I'm not into massage and liked the light touch approach. Certainly an experience!

dazned

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 09:29:50 PM »

Glad you felt positive results from it,sounds lovely. I like massages,they leave me " floaty " :)

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 09:42:28 PM »

I have a friend who performs Reiki [£65 per hour] and there should be no bodily contact by the practitioner.  It is 'alternative' in that there is no access via the NHS.  It's about taking 'me' time, sharing time with someone, learning to feel relaxed, being listened to, having an hour or so completely of your own. 

Hopefully the floatyness will continue ..... I wouldn't drive though  ::)

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 11:46:42 PM »

Nowt wrong with the placebo effect!  I don't go because I don't want to give my personal details to anyone else - how a hands off therapy can work beats me  ::).  If you have to pay for it  :-\

I'm not sure where you get the hands off idea from CLKD? The whole idea is for the Reiki practitioner to place hands on the face and different areas through clothing. I've had it and really found it relaxing. The changes in temperature from the hands as they move over different areas is really strange.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 03:06:31 PM »

Originally when my friend 'trained' it was totally hands off! 

Whatever  ::)

Woodlands

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 03:56:33 PM »

Hi there
I love Reiki, very therapeutic, warm and tingly sensations at times.
Lucky,I have a friend where I get Reiki for free.....often feel very very cold after treatment x