Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Manic in menopause  (Read 2511 times)

Redthelma

Manic in menopause
« on: August 21, 2017, 10:01:08 AM »

Hi. I'm a new member who has recently become menopausal. I've been a Manic Depressive for 30 years & have been fairly well controlled on Lithium & Carbamazepine. Recently, Lithium knocked out my thyroid which also seems to have kick started menopause. Dr is no help, she suggested coil & get on with it. I'm getting flushes & night sweats bad but biggest problem is self destructive rages & depression. I recently burnt my arm quite extensively to deal with sudden raging depression. It was that or suicide at the time. I'm more stable atm but the sudden crashing depression is something I have only experienced with Mania. My partner pointed me in your direction for help as he knows Doc's r useless. Please, I need to know, Is this type of depression common with menopause or am I losing control of my Mania? I haven't had any upswing as such. It would be helpful if anyone can advise me on this as it would have a bearing on how I manage this.

Many thanks, Sam.

Taz2

Re: Manic in menopause
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 10:26:33 AM »

Hi Sam. It is obviously a difficult time for you especially trying to work out which symptoms are menopausal and which are caused by your manic depression. You have come to the right place though and will find lots of help and friendship on here.

The hot sweats and flushes are caused by lack of oestrogen. If you have had the mirena coil fitted then this won't help with the flushes as it contains progesterone. You can add in an oestrogen gel or patch though if you wish to go down the HRT route. I found my sweats stopped within twenty four hours of starting transdermal HRT.

Depression and rages are part of peri menopause for some women. This is due to the fluctuating hormones and lots of women find the mood swings do even out once they are further into menopause but HRT can help with this too. I'm not sure how old you are?

I wonder if you have had any help from the Bi-polar UK site? They do mention menopause in their questions and answers https://www.bipolaruk.org/Pages/FAQs/Category/women-and-bipolar

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Ju Ju

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 10:46:31 AM »

:welcomemm:

I hope you get some more knowledgeable help, as well as support here.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 11:25:46 AM »

It can be a Mine Field so welcome - browse round.  Make notes.

When pre-menstrual I would have rages, something that didn't bother me for weeks would suddenly become a HUGE issue - then once the bleed began my temper dissipated.  I would stamp my feet, shout, throw things [though nothing of value  ::)].  My Dad had manic depression from an early age so I know how destructive sudden temper can be!  I would literally 'snap'  :o

The National Association for Pre-menstrual Syndrome [NAPS] advised me many years later to eat every 3 hours: even in the night if I went to the bathroom - a biscuit/2 by the bed to munch B4 going back to sleep.  That eases that awful lurch when the body is suddenly hungry. 

I also have safe foods: chicken breasts sliced, grilled on a bed of rice, pancakes - the mix can stay in the fridge for a couple of days to eat as soon as my body is hungry; dried fruits and nuts to munch; Dextrose tablets (recommended by professional sports people) to eat as it boosts energy.

Maybe get a referral to a Psychiatrist for an up-date on your med regime? [if you haven't already].  Keep posting.

Redthelma

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 11:39:48 AM »

Thank you all. I'm 47 and have had some menstrual signs of menopause for about a year. However, sweats, flushes & rage have only been in last 2 months, since being treated for Throid. Thyroid is apparently stable now. I will check out that site, ty. I've also started a 'mood diary again to see if sweats or flushes can predict when rage is coming. Wow, food triggers. I have been dieting so yes, I'll try to improve blood sugar levels. I carry dextrose & tend to snack on fruit. I've also been drinking soy milk, as I saw recommended on site. I'd like to be able to get a handle on this before seeing the psych as they always add meds that make me worse.

Cheers, Sam

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 11:41:32 AM »

Some ladies find that soya milk can be disrupting to the bowels  ;)

Do you have your bloods checked regularly?

Redthelma

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 03:36:09 PM »

Ty 4 all the help. It's much appreciated. Yes, my bloods are checked regularly for Li & Thyroid. I could ask if they can do an fsh/lh profile but I suspect they won't. As to the Soya bowel issue, I'm a vegetarian who's been on codeine for years for spinal arthritis and I have a pelvic floor prolapse from cervical cancer removal (mine grew down not up). My bowels have always been problematic. Thanks for the heads up though.  :)

CaroleM

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 02:23:09 PM »

Just want to say that you will always find ladies here offers support. So  :welcomemm:

By the way, I think we women who have done it all, suffered for doing it all and are still being expected to do it all are the sanest people on the planet! You're going to be doin' jus fine.

Brighteyes