Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: State Pension - Topping up your missing NI years  (Read 4676 times)

Shadyglade

Re: State Pension - Topping up your missing NI years
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2019, 07:34:39 PM »

Me too.  That's why I was determined to get the full amount.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2019, 07:35:44 PM »

Which ain't a lot  >:( - my NHS Pension pays for 2 loads of heating oil a year  ;D - I haven't decided what to spend my Government monies on though I do have ideas  ;)

Ju Ju

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2019, 11:53:30 PM »

I had to retire early, after working less and less due to health issues. I am lucky to have a small pension, which was not enough to live on but gives me a bit of independence, but I'm even luckier to have a husband who didn't want to see me struggling to work and has his own pension and continues to work when he wants to because he loves what he does. He got his state pension at 65, but I have to wait until I'm 65.5. .....next September. It won't be a full pension, even though when I stopped working I was told I had paid enough National insurance when I stopped working. The goal posts have moved and I haven't paid any since. To make it up would be a lot of money, which we haven't got lying around. It will make a difference though.

What makes me mad about the pension situation was that politicians have known for many years that there was a problem, but didn't do anything until things became so critical. It would have been a vote loser. And we the fifties babies had little time to prepare.

I worry about my daughter, who struggles to pay for day to day living, let alone pay much into a pension fund. How old will she have to be to a state pension?

Shadyglade

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2019, 12:18:27 PM »

I don't think that's quite right. My husband won't get the full amount of state pension but he has a final salary pension and opted out of some payments.

Most private pension are now defined contributions so are different. I may be wrong but I can't find anything on the pensions website to confirm this.

Shadyglade

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2019, 12:24:16 PM »

I have found it.  As I thought reduction in State Pension only applies if you paid reduced NI contributions as part of your Workplace pension.  This is not the case with ALL Workplace pensions.

https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension/youve-been-in-a-workplace-personal-or-stakeholder-pension

Also

https://www.gov.uk/contracted-out

As you can see from April 2016 Opting Out, no longer happens.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 12:33:10 PM by Shadyglade »

Shadyglade

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2019, 12:55:18 PM »

Exactly.

In my case I never had a private /workplace pension as we moved around such a lot, and I only did part time work.

Shadyglade

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2019, 01:04:50 PM »

Yes, I know.

One of the links I gave tells you how to check that on your payslips.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 03:10:13 PM by Shadyglade »
Pages: 1 [2]