Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: vaginal mesh implants for prolapse  (Read 1625 times)

babyjane

vaginal mesh implants for prolapse
« on: August 16, 2017, 09:56:26 AM »

There is a feature on the Victoria Derbyshire programms this morning about this.  I have never heard of such a thing and had to look up what it is and what it does.  Apparently they are bad and a lot of women are suing for damages.

Has anyone else hear of, or had experience of, this?

Salad

Re: vaginal mesh implants for prolapse
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 02:11:50 PM »

It has been in the media about the problems some women have had and the devastating effects some have experienced.
However, there are also women who have found the surgery to be really successful.
Before I had my TVT surgery I only knew of one other person who'd had it and she couldn't praise it enough.
My surgery had some complications initially but all settled well by about 6 months post op.

The results have been amazing but of course I worry that there will be issues at sometime -  the mesh isn't just used in gynaecological surgery but also to repair hernias in general surgery.

I'm keeping everything crossed that all will remain well  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 04:36:20 PM »

It's been in the News for a few years, pros and cons.  Sadly we often only hear of the cons  ::).

Maryjane

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 07:33:00 AM »

I no lots of ladies ( and the lady running the campaign to get it suspended Kath Sampson).

Also many surgeons are now refusing to use it , one saying " it's like watching a car crash in slow motion " and warned of the dangers of it many years ago.

It can also cause autoimmune issues ( its plastic after all ) and problems for many don't show for years, our drink , sandwiches etc have issues around plastic packaging and health , yet they put it in our vaginas 🤔 .

I have also heard via others ( where surgeons say they wouldn't put it in there own wives ) but it's cheap and quick basically, the old way of prolapse surgery takes skill , longer to do and more expensive.

But obviously there are those that are happy with there's , and may they continue to be so.

Miss Elneil is one of a tiny handful who can remove mesh , but many can put it in . 🤔

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4781500/Leading-surgeons-blast-scandal-hit-vaginal-mesh-procedure.html

« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 07:51:33 AM by Maryjane »

wombat62

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 02:41:32 PM »

There are a lot of court cases going on in Australia as well...global problem!

Mesh has also been used in other areas such as stomach reduction and that has caused problems as well. Guess it's like anything, will work for some and not others but feel sorry for the ladies who have had problems with it, sounds horrendous.