Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Honey  (Read 4536 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Honey
« on: August 05, 2017, 04:04:04 PM »

There's a thought that 'Manuka' honey is better than other honeys and there is a Link on another thread.

However, there's also a thought that honey should not be imported from other countries due to the real possibility of transferring disease between there and here.  But as honey is a healer, I don't really understand where that idea arises and haven't talked to our 'bee lady' for a while to follow up my thoughts. Note to self: make a list of questions - I am thinking of having bees in our garden  ;)

As a child a spoonful of honey was given when ever we were off colour as well as being used on wounds.  That is UK honey because there wasn't any imported until more recent years.  It seals wounds to stop air getting there which in turn, stops any 'bugs' infiltrating the area. This, as well as leeches, are being re-considered as healing properties in Hospitals.

Bit of a meander this ..........

Maryjane

Re: Honey
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 06:46:49 PM »

🙋🏼 I will join in .....slightly off line.....http://www.southampton.ac.uk/medicine/news/2016/01/08-surgihoney.page

This honey is being trialled on burns victims with very good / promising results.

Medical grade manuka is used for animals sores etc , and some hospital cases.

My understanding of the difference between manuka and normal honey is ?

" manuka has known to have a much higher concentration of a natural antibacterial compound called methylglyoxal ( MGO).
It is very heat stable."

Re importing ....my daughter lives in NZ , and visits is twice a year the rigmarole she has to go through to return to NZ from the UK is huge , re importing germs etc from here.

Raw honey UK is better than the heat treated , mixed runny stuff I believe .

I have a teaspoon of local honey everyday from my local bee keeper , it's from mainly rape seed where we live.

Quite a few ladies from a certain forum , put honey up there vaginas every two days for VA and swear by it , also a midwife years ago ( this is via someone else ) used to recommend honey up there also when using the cap.

All I no is , my external bits like it. 🙃

littleminnie

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 07:15:03 PM »

I couldnt take honey  :sick02:

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 07:32:54 PM »

Tnx for your input.

I learned today that one can keep bees without interfering with the honey making process ;-).  I love runny honey.  Several years ago I began eating it in about Feb., for 2-3 years through the Summer, local to me - it helped my rhinitis problems.  When I ate honey 'local' but made 5 miles away, it didn't work.

I've gone off it for about 18 months  :-\.  Lots in the pantry but can't be bothered  ::)

CaroleM

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 09:40:54 PM »

I love honey.  Would love to have bees and a beautiful hive in the garden.  Only one problem, [/u][/b] ME.  I'm allergic to both bee and wasp stings.  Found that one the hard way I'm afraid and it was a close run thing between the adrenalin and anaphalatic shock.  So sad.

Beaker

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 03:38:04 PM »

I read somewhere that according to statistics, New Zealand produced 1700 tonnes of Manuka honey in 2014, however more than 10,000 tonnes of honey were sold around the world labelled as Manuka honey!

Buyer Beware  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 03:44:11 PM »

Yep. 

Wanda68

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 06:32:24 PM »

We have hives on site at my work for research purposes, the honey is sold to staff for charity. I have bought jars for some friends, who have told me they think it is better than manuka honey. We have always been told that if you are taking it for health reasons, you are better to buy local honey.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 10:13:03 PM »

That's what we were told and certainly when I used locally grown honey for my allergies they cleared up.  Honey from 5/6 miles away did owt  ::)

Vieja Bruja

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 03:07:38 PM »

I've just bought a jar of locally produced honey and the taste, compared to the mass produced stuff, is amazing.  I'm hoping it will help cure my night-time blocked sinuses. 

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 03:09:56 PM »

You need to begin taking it B4 pollen begins - let us know how you get on.  Is it raw honey you have bought?

Welcome to the thread >wave<

Vieja Bruja

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 12:54:55 PM »

Yeah its raw, I didn't buy it particularly to deal with the sinuses but hoped that it might help.  However I do love honey in my tea and on my toast  :)

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 01:43:17 PM »

:-* .......... and on crumpets, although that is messy  ;D

Vieja Bruja

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2017, 08:57:44 PM »

but a lovely mess !

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2017, 09:42:55 PM »

....... in the bath as Wogan would suggest .............