Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: St John's Wort  (Read 3628 times)

suehill67

St John's Wort
« on: August 01, 2017, 10:21:38 PM »

Can anyone tell me they're thoughts on St John's Wort if it has helped anyone or they're symptoms?? Thanx
Currently having sleepless nights anxiety & hot flushes 😐 xx

Annie0710

Re: St John's Wort
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 10:37:51 PM »

I took one tablet and it made me feel ill, heart racing and just weird

Roseneath

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 11:48:26 AM »

All the doctors I have spoken too say stay off all herbal things as they can mess with your liver function and have just as bad anxiety side effects (doesn't everything?!). I took a mixed herbal / vitamin pill for 3 months then had slightly weird blood results for liver function so it has scared me off anything herbal. It is SO hard to know what to do...so much conflicting info. I am appalled that the NHS has no coherent strategy with people who come in with our hormonal / (peri) menopause issues.  I have seen 5 doctors with my menstrual / anxiety / insomnia problems and they all have said slightly different things (from just giving me print outs on self help and on-line courses to the other end offering me valium, SSRIs, HRT / betablockers with no blood test checks. No coherant, patient led approach. The fact we go in to see them in such an emotional state dosn't help as I feel fobbed off and confused most of the time...and a nuisance. Tons of empathy going your way :) :'(

suehill67

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 01:00:13 PM »

Bloody hell(sorry) I'm appalled 2 by the lack of help with our condition, I'm just starting out with this & feel overwhelmed with emotion...have suffered from depression when I was younger & it was horrendous....i feel helpless & just want these feelings of anxiety to go...can anyone recommend anything at all? Thankyou much love xx❤

Annie0710

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 01:34:16 PM »

Well as you know from my post I react bad to SJW, I have arthritis in my back and dr has put me on amitriptyline, an antidepressant which used in low doses is meant to help nerve pain, I'm only 2 weeks in but I did fess up to her about my low mood and anxiety and she said start on 10mg and if I feel I need more go to 20mg, I'm tolerating the 10mg really well

suehill67

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 02:56:14 PM »

Well I'm going back to see my gp next week so will have a chat & see what she suggests...im sure I've had those before aswell but back then I was taking them for the wrong reasons  ( bad relationship) hopefully there will be a light at the end of this dark tunnel....until then I'll try & make sense of it all on here with all you lovely ladies xx

Roseneath

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 03:45:50 PM »

I tried my ' fake smile' strategy this afternoon. It's easy, free with no side effects. You put on this
forced rictus grin and keep it on for a good 10 minutes. No really. It seems to trigger some small
but definate chemical high.(Don't try this with family around though although they will be calling 999).
Tried it in the library today and cleared the room.
Am also off for a jog now - would rather boil my head but beats googling brain tumour again.
 ;D :'(

suehill67

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 05:59:14 PM »

Hahaha thankyou for the advice I'm gonna try that one right now as im skipping & my otherwise normal nipples are chaffing inside my bra & feel like they will combust anytime xx

paisley

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 05:04:10 PM »

I don't bother seeing my GP anymore because he is useless & looks at me like I am the only one who has ever had these symptoms. He only ever suggests ADs. I am not adverse to taking them but they don't agree with me. The side effects make me feel worse. Years ago when I had PND & the ADs didn't work I got referred to a counselor & that helped me so so much. Unfortunately with all the NHS cutbacks they can't afford to do this anymore.

Roseneath

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 09:21:47 AM »

I sat down with my calendar and look at the last 6 months. Most of the times I was at my worst with anxiety / panic about some health problem was either around ovulation time (Day 16) or pre-menstrual (24-26). On 4 out of the 5 times it was either of these. I felt so bad 5 days ago; really scarily not myself and so anxious. Period has come and today something has lifted. Not completely but definately feel not to taken over by it. So don't rush to take stuff if you have a very bad 4 or 5 days. I did this when I agreed to HRT and for me it was the wrong decision. I am feeling hat in peri everything is more extreme and things last for longer so we think it will be permanent. Hu :-*gs to you girls.