Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Painful pap (smear test) experience  (Read 6305 times)

Palmtree

• First Flush
Re: Painful pap (smear test) experience
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2018, 11:49:32 AM »

Hi Lanza,
So glad this jogged your memory! Here's to smears!   :)

Palmtree

• First Flush
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2018, 11:51:41 AM »

Mine was 2 years ago, I found the OK letter yesterday.

Welcome Palmtree - browse round, make notes ;-)

Thankyou!  I have been a menopause matters gal for a few years but couldn't get my old login to work, so here I am looking all shiny and new.  Glad your smear was normal, glad my post is getting responses.

Palmtree

• First Flush
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2018, 12:03:45 PM »

I had to have my last one under GA and was in pain for 6 weeks after.  What I find really annoying is the patronising little articles that assume women avoid tests because they are embarrassed or it's 'a bit uncomfortable'.  When you are experiencing that level of pain, you don't have any energy left over to worry about embarrassment!
Hi Dorothy, yes I'm feeling it with you! Discomfort is often used instead of pain and I think medical professionals know this.  I had an endometrial biopsy without anaesthesia, and felt faint afterwards with the 'discomfort' or as I called it, horrible pain.  Also I had a colposcopy a few years back and was in such pain afterwards that I had to see a doctor 10 days later - she said oh I don't think it could have caused that much pain, implying something else was the reason, had a look, remarked on the swelling and bruising and wrote a prescription, looking a bit shamefaced. The doctor who did the colposcopy rammed the thing up against my urethra and opened it wide enough to see Saturn (sorry TMI). I winced, and he said we could stop, but I thought, what was the point by then?  I think we have to be really clear and ask for lubrication inside and out and explain that it's pain not discomfort.  Every single one of my post meno friends experiences the same thing when having examinations even those on HRT, and slowly but surely we are raising awareness that menopausal women have additional needs.

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2018, 12:45:02 PM »

I had mine recently and it was fine.
Don't think anything to do with menopause. All down to the person doing it and their technique.

Dorothy

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2018, 01:56:09 PM »

I had to have my last one under GA and was in pain for 6 weeks after.  What I find really annoying is the patronising little articles that assume women avoid tests because they are embarrassed or it's 'a bit uncomfortable'.  When you are experiencing that level of pain, you don't have any energy left over to worry about embarrassment!
Hi Dorothy, yes I'm feeling it with you! Discomfort is often used instead of pain and I think medical professionals know this.  I had an endometrial biopsy without anaesthesia, and felt faint afterwards with the 'discomfort' or as I called it, horrible pain.  Also I had a colposcopy a few years back and was in such pain afterwards that I had to see a doctor 10 days later - she said oh I don't think it could have caused that much pain, implying something else was the reason, had a look, remarked on the swelling and bruising and wrote a prescription, looking a bit shamefaced. The doctor who did the colposcopy rammed the thing up against my urethra and opened it wide enough to see Saturn (sorry TMI). I winced, and he said we could stop, but I thought, what was the point by then?  I think we have to be really clear and ask for lubrication inside and out and explain that it's pain not discomfort.  Every single one of my post meno friends experiences the same thing when having examinations even those on HRT, and slowly but surely we are raising awareness that menopausal women have additional needs.

I think the last person who tried to do one when I was conscious realised I was feeling more than 'discomfort' as I yelled the place down!   :o

ariadne

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2018, 08:52:32 PM »

I've always had smear tests when appointments have come through but after the last one I had was so very painful I have ignored the appointment and reminder this time round. I shoved them in a drawer but now reading this thread has reminded me and I think I need to make the appointment as it will be my last smear.

Reading about some of your experiences reminded me that when I had a cystoscopy a few years ago, the male nurse "swabbed"  the area with some sort of antiseptic but he did it like he was slapping on creosote with a scrubbing brush! So rough. I wanted to scream at him that this was a delicate atrophied area needing gentle treatment.

Ariadne xx

JennieWren59

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2018, 10:35:01 AM »

My last smear was difficult and painful too, I never find them comfortable, but this was the first I had mid menopause. I had never had this particular nurse do it before, and I tried my hardest to relax but it just hurt like mad. she managed to get what she needed as she said she would stop as it was making me bleed! She also said that the results might come back as inadequate cells gathered to do the test. So I lived in dread of having to go back and have it done again, thankfully all came back normal.

She did apologise and suggested I asked for the different nurse to do it next time as everyone has different techniques. I would never put off a smear but like everyone I really don't look forward to them.
Pages: 1 [2]