Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Late Menopause Over 55  (Read 46267 times)

Sparrow

Re: Late Menopause Over 55
« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2020, 10:44:14 PM »

Hi Barnacle,

I finished at 56 and half.  I found those last two years tricky as I had crushing fatigue with every period.  Came close to fainting a couple of times.

Hope you don't have to wait too much longer.

Shadyglade

Machair

« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2020, 08:39:45 AM »

Hi Barnacle and a very warm welcome.

So glad you have joined us - please keep posting on your journey as there is so little information available for late menopause experiences, especially if it goes on to late fifties as I did.

I had an increase in migraines two years before I stopped, and I developed a Polyp as well which I had removed in November. Now officially post menopausal at 59!

I never had hot flushes or other symptoms really so have been very lucky. The consultant I saw said that was unusual but that my age was not. He said that he is seeing more and more women in my age group having late menopause. I did wonder if my diet prevented hot flashes as it mirrors the diet recommended by Maryon Stewart who is a natural menopause expert. I have never seen her but realised my eating patterns were what she recommends so maybe that was why.

I had completely regular periods at 53 when most of my friends were well past the transition so I felt like a freak, especially as the years went on! Even on here there are so few of us! So please keep posting as hopefully then this thread can be a resource for many.

Barnacle

« Reply #92 on: February 06, 2020, 05:53:07 PM »

I did wonder if my diet prevented hot flashes as it mirrors the diet recommended by Maryon Stewart who is a natural menopause expert. I have never seen her but realised my eating patterns were what she recommends so maybe that was why.

My SIL lent me one of her books a couple of years ago, and i found it an interesting read. My diet is mainly veggie, with a little fish and chicken thrown in, although i have a stinking cold at the moment, so i'm mostly eating carbs, and lots of them! Comfort food, i guess you would call it.

My friendship group spans quite an age range . The majority of them, either the same age or slightly older, have been through it and are all moving on with the next chapter of their lives. The other ones, mainly mums of my DD and DS, are either at the start of peri or haven't even got to that stage yet.

My sister, who is two years younger than me, is having an awful time with it. She has just gone onto HRT, so hopefully she will soon see some improvement. She has been having really bad flushes, which at times have left her feeling nauseous and her night sweats have affected her sleep so badly, that she told me that she feels like a zombie most of the time.
I do worry about her, as she lives on her own after the breakup last year of her 20 year relationship, but as my Dad told me at the weekend, she knows where i am if she needs me, so i have to stop worrying. Easier said than done though!

Lma

• First Flush
« Reply #93 on: June 02, 2021, 08:16:18 AM »

Hello, I have late onset menopause (aged 60) and my gynae is convinced the only safe course of action to avoid possible chance of cancer is a hysterectomy. It seems extreme to me, just wondering if anybody else has been in a similar position?

Machair

« Reply #94 on: June 02, 2021, 08:31:32 AM »

Hello LMA

I will see what I can do to help.
Firstly can you tell us a little about what is making your gynae say you need a hysterectomy- is it because you have had a scan which has shown a thickened lining or atypia? If you are simply this age with no suspicious symptoms or findings clinically then this is a different matter.

I was almost 59 when I had my final period. I saw a gynae (top consultant in London) who was not at all worried by my age as he said he was seeing this more and more. At this stage my lining was 6mm so I had a hysteroscopy and also a cervical polyp removed. After the surgery repeated scans showed something in the uterus that looked like a polyp or adenomyosis which was monitored, and last weekend I had surgery to remove this and am waiting for the histology as it is query now a fibroid like lesion. However since my last period 18 months ago my lining has become so atrophic it is less than 2mm and I have hardly any oestrogen on blood work.

So in essence I think hysterectomy is indicated for pre cancer or other reasons related to pathology but not just for age if everything else is normal. Have you had all the tests including bloods and scans? Are you in the UK?

Lma

• First Flush
« Reply #95 on: July 14, 2021, 06:50:09 AM »

Thanks for your reply Machair. I would be interested to know who your gynae is please as I live in London.

My problem seems to be that I’m still having periods, controlled to an extent by taking progesterone, which makes me seem like a freak to all the consultants (3) I have seen so far. They keep thinking it’s post menopausal but since I’ve had no menopause symptoms and still have quite high oestrogen it seems unlikely.

I did have a very thick lining to the uterus but with a couple of d &c ops, polyp removals and a Mirena coil put in all seemed fine for 2 years then my body expelled the coil with some huge clots.

Since then I’ve had 3 MRIs, 2 ultrasounds, a biopsy (of an atypical fibroid, half in and half out of he uterus wall, result was benign). So despite all the evidence, they still recommend a hysterectomy because of the cancer risk from thd continued exposure of my uterus to oestrogen and the possibility that the bit of the fibroid they couldn’t reach is cancerous.

I have so far refused the hysterectomy as it’s major surgery based on no actual evidence of need. I’m just ‘different’ and if would be really good to see a consultant who recognises that late menopause is normal.

Machair

« Reply #96 on: July 14, 2021, 08:13:55 AM »

I can send the name of my consultant by private message if that would help. He is private so not sure if that is what you are looking for but if so I can certainly help.x

Lma

• First Flush
« Reply #97 on: July 14, 2021, 08:24:07 AM »

That would be great please. My consultations so far have been private.

Machair

« Reply #98 on: July 14, 2021, 08:39:25 AM »

Lovely I have sent that for you.x

Lma

• First Flush
« Reply #99 on: July 14, 2021, 09:28:47 AM »

Thank you so much for your email. X

Booblet

« Reply #100 on: July 15, 2021, 01:50:39 PM »

Hi,
I am 61 and had last period 18 months ago.

However, I have been having, slight spotting up to approx 7 months ago. I really do believe that the "spotting" was a period - I got all the premenstrual symptoms, and the time- line was roughly every 4,5,6 wks.

Interesting, I was taking bioidentical hormones- Progesterone, Oestrogen, Testosterone and ACTH..... (from a private Menopause Clinic) ...Initially I had a blood test ( damn exspensive) and was told that I still had some Oestrogen and that was why I was still having periods??  ****

I have now given up the private prescription I cannnot afford it, and, realize that I can get near enough natural bioidentical hormones from my GP.

The problem is that now I have stopped the private prescription I am going through hell! My next app to discuss HRT is in 2 half wks!!!

**I interesting, I too have M.E,  allergies, underactive Thyroid, Adrenal fatigue and B12 deficiency.  ## I have very severe depression and Anxiety.....

The Anxiety definitely brought on with Perimenopause/Menopause.

My GP stated, that at 57,58,59,60 yrs that no way I should still be going through the Menopause!! ### So helpful......

Kind Regards,
Ollybear

Gynaikeíos

« Reply #101 on: July 15, 2021, 09:24:58 PM »

It sounds so difficult, @Booblet!

You have my sympathy. I hope you can maybe ask to have your appointment brought forward. It sounds important to me, so you should not be suffering.  :'(

Your GP needs to catch up with the news about menopause. Ask her to watch the excellent videos, and read the excellent information notes in this forum!

I am 56, and in perimenopause. There is no denying it, so why does your GP think differently about any of her women patients with menopause at an older age??
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 09:27:55 PM by Gynaikeíos »

sheila99

« Reply #102 on: July 15, 2021, 11:08:17 PM »

If you have time on your hands try a forum search. Someone posted some research showing some women are in their early 60s before they reach meno. But I can't remember who posted it and I don't think the thread started as an age related one. I was still mostly regular when I started hrt at 57 so your gp is talking her backside.

Machair

« Reply #103 on: July 16, 2021, 08:18:18 AM »

I totally agree. Late menopause is not that unusual and it doesn't help when we are told the average age is 51. You immediately feel you are a freak or that you are ill with something very serious especially as time goes on.

It has been a long road for me and one that I wish I had spent less time worrying about my age and whether I was normal when in fact I was. I know that as I developed a cervical polyp at 58 only seen before the menopause and triggered by hormonal ups and downs. I was monitored in my late fifties with blood tests and sure enough all of a sudden PMT disappeared (which had become horrendous) migraines stopped, vaginal dryness started and within 18 months I had very low oestrogen and my lining of the uterus went from 6mm to less than 2mm.

We are all different and many of us are still regular at 55 and beyond. I think it is important to be checked out with a scan after 55 just in case there are abnormalities- for example it is possible ovulation has stopped so with next to no progesterone it is possible to build up a thickened lining which over time can become a worry which can be corrected.There could be polyps or fibroids which may need monitoring.

I think it is time the NHS changed the advice to say that menopause can begin anywhere between 46 and 60 instead of focussing on one age group. If you are still having periods over 55 I would have a scan to ensure all is well and certainly anyone with bleeding after 60 must be checked out as this is unusual. 

sheila99

« Reply #104 on: July 16, 2021, 12:10:05 PM »

It's a problem for anyone outside the 'normal' age range. There are plenty of posts from members denied hrt because the gp thinks they're too young for their symptoms to be meno related.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10