Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Recommendations for electrical shavers for face please  (Read 7199 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Recommendations for electrical shavers for face please
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2017, 10:15:04 PM »

Welcome Hothothot !

Nowt to do with either your suggestions Hasty nor with mystery - we've been together too long for there to be any mystery  ::). He may well have to do far more intimate things for me as we age ............  :oops:

countrybumpkin

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2017, 06:59:05 PM »

I have had a severe facial hair problem since I was in my early 30's ( not due to polycystic ovaries)but due to having excess testosterone :o.  I literally have tried every single thing on the market for ladies facial hair. Epilators, lady shavers, develped bad reactions to wax and creams, tried laser hair removal but again bad reaction to test area. IN the end the only thing that works for me is using a mans shaver.  It does not make the hair grow thicker or faster its just that any razor leaves blunt ends so the hairs look darker. I have now been doing this daily for past 20 years sadly.  Its not got any worse post meno.

So while I agree it is a last resort no one has ever guessed I have a facial hair problem since I started using it whereas with most other methods you have to let the hair grow a little and for me being black haired this made it very noticeable.

CLKD

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2017, 10:14:47 PM »

I had a dark shadow below my nose from about age 9 which got worse as the hair developed and I have been embarrassed.  I often wonder if it's why some cultures use the Burka ......... I have been tempted myself  :sigh:.  Most of the hair can be tweezered and every 2-3 weeks I have to use a cream to get rid of the others. 

countrybumpkin

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2017, 10:13:00 AM »

I had a dark shadow below my nose from about age 9 which got worse as the hair developed and I have been embarrassed.  I often wonder if it's why some cultures use the Burka ......... I have been tempted myself  :sigh:.  Most of the hair can be tweezered and every 2-3 weeks I have to use a cream to get rid of the others.

Oh how i wish I only had a tache!  If I let nature take its course I would have full goatee beard and tache of very black hair. Even though I am now going grey ( again if nature was allowed!) my body hair is still very black.
I cannot bear to let the hair grow enough now to use other methods, the epilator was the most eye watering device and hardly removed any hairs!

Grumpy girl

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2017, 07:58:31 PM »

I bought the Ladies Panasonic facial trimmer and find it's great, I use it mainly on my upper lip area and I think it's so much better then using hair removal cream as it can make my skin feel very sore and dry.

On occasions I use it to remove the soft fluff from around my cheeks as I seem to have rather a lot of it! and as for  the chin hairs, they have to be tweezered out almost daily.  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2017, 10:47:21 PM »

Thx Grumpyfrances  :)

matildamouse

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2017, 04:35:59 AM »

I have had a severe facial hair problem since I was in my early 30's ( not due to polycystic ovaries)but due to having excess testosterone :o.  I literally have tried every single thing on the market for ladies facial hair. Epilators, lady shavers, develped bad reactions to wax and creams, tried laser hair removal but again bad reaction to test area. IN the end the only thing that works for me is using a mans shaver.  It does not make the hair grow thicker or faster its just that any razor leaves blunt ends so the hairs look darker. I have now been doing this daily for past 20 years sadly.  Its not got any worse post meno.

So while I agree it is a last resort no one has ever guessed I have a facial hair problem since I started using it whereas with most other methods you have to let the hair grow a little and for me being black haired this made it very noticeable.

Thanks Countrybumpkin I can so relate with your experience and frustrations. I have dark and blond hairs and lots of them since my late 20's. Have cried many tears about it as well...Always had excess levels of free testosterone hanging around getting up to no good and now that I need testosterone in post menopause it is very low!!!!

Thanks for the other posters for suggestions. I am definitely going to go for an electric shaver....can not cope walking around with shaving cuts and plasters on my post menopausal face...

matildamouse

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2017, 04:41:40 AM »

Fortunuately also when close female friends find out they are shocked as they have never noticed so at least we are on top of it. It used to get me so down in the days before IPL. Now I got rid of the dark buggers but the blond abd grey ones are the problem now...

countrybumpkin

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2017, 01:03:00 PM »

Fortunuately also when close female friends find out they are shocked as they have never noticed so at least we are on top of it. It used to get me so down in the days before IPL. Now I got rid of the dark buggers but the blond abd grey ones are the problem now...

Great to hear IPL worked for you on the dark ones.  They did a test patch on me under my chin and it was bright red for 3 hrs afterwards although no lasting reaction but they said I would have had to hide ;D for 3 hrs after every treatment and they were worried that it would scar as I have a history of keratin scarring after minor surgeries.

zelda

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2017, 10:57:40 AM »

Braun do a great gadget for removing downey facial hair, check Amazon or Boots for info etc.

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2017, 11:34:49 AM »

I'm not worried about the down ;-).  Anyone close enough to notice has to be a Very Close Friend  :)

daisysareyellow

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2017, 12:04:02 AM »

Hi Ladies
I'm a bit late to this topic, but I used to have my own waxing and spray tanning business and can offer some advice. Shaving is easy but a really bad idea and so is hair removal creams as these can burn and the hair grows back really fast!  The ideal thing to do is waxing or epilating. You can buy facial epilators now, but you have to know that they hurt!!!! If you are not prepared to put up with some discomfort (and for some ladies major pain) then this is not your option. Waxing is the best option. However, you need to be able to pull the wax off really fast whilst holding the surrounding skin taut, otherwise you are going to cause damage. My advice would be to get a professional to do it, but that is not always economically viable. Laser is the most expensive option, but this does not work for certain hair and skin types. I live in Australia and usually use professional wax, but I really love NADS if you are looking for a supermarket/chemist option. It is really easy to use and never seems to cause any reaction. However, you will feel a bit uncomfortable for a few hours after using it. I usually apply a good moisturiser rather than anything like retinols or vitamin c based night creams. Even the thick Nivea cream in the blue container feels nice on the face after waxing.

babyjane

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2017, 09:24:15 AM »

I have a lot of fine, fair down on the sides of my face and cheeks, so what? I pluck out the coarse whiskers from my chin but other than that I am not concerned.  I don't understand what the problem is.  Now if it was dark then that is a different matter.

Mbrown001

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2017, 09:39:42 AM »

I try not to look with my glasses on.
With them off I look 25  ;D

Kathleen

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2017, 07:36:41 PM »

Hello ladies.

I have dark blonde hair which is now greying and dark, almost black eyebrows and eyelashes.  I have used creams on my upper lip but now I shave with a small shaver called 'Kiss' that I bought ages ago in Boots. It is marketed for eyebrows and can be angled for awkward areas plus it includes a little light. I recently saw a similar  product in Superdrug which I think that was advertised on TV recently. I have found that a quick once over with this little machine is very effective at removing my tash and without it I could be part of ‘ Movember ' along with the best of them lol!

Btw now that many young men are letting their beards grow sales of razors are falling so there are discount offers out there. Now might be the time to grab a bargain ladies.

Take care all.

K.
Pages: 1 [2]