Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Vaping  (Read 10341 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Vaping
« on: July 01, 2017, 10:42:41 PM »

It seems that this form of 'non'-smoking has really taken off!  I have seen people using these 'pipes' on the street, behind the wheel, in cafes .......

However, it annoys me that people use these pipes in the street so that I get the smoke blown into my face. 

As far as I am aware there is no Research regarding the short or long-term effects of the chemicals included in these 'vapes'.  Anyone?  It seems that people are prepared to swap one form of smoking which has been proven to be bad for health, to one that has no back-up research
at all  :-\

Also, I can't see what the difference might be when using a pipe to vape whilst driving from using a mobile phone ?  :-\.  I have a few vices but fortunately, smoking wasn't one - I never ran with the crowd.

babyjane

Re: Vaping
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 09:16:47 AM »

I don't think it is smoke.

I was waiting in town for hubby and I was sitting on a bench.  A vaping lady sat down next to me. Oh-oh I thought, I'll have to move but despite her puffing away I did not detect any smell whatsoever.  Not sure if I was inhaling anything from her fumes or not  :-\

cubagirl

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 09:23:39 AM »

Think it's vapour, hence term vaping. However, some seem to emit more than others.  I think, given time, they will find elements which are detrimental to health. Personally I think they are awful looking things & those using them should keep their distance from those not using.

Tempest

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 09:26:22 AM »

I vape. Extremely low nicotine (only 3mg, sometimes even 0mg). Vaping has none of the nasties as regards to 'secong hand smoke' that cigarettes do. The average cigarette contains between 18mg and 21mg of nicotine.

The vapour consists of vegetable glycerine, propylene glycol (found in asthma inhalers and used as a food preservative) and flavourings. Others are not even getting the nicotine, as it's absorbed by the user via their mucous membranes.

It doesn't contain the over 400 other chemicals that cigarettes do, including carbon monoxide, cadmium, tar and arsenic.

I hope this makes you feel more comfortable next time you come across a vaper! xxxxx

Tempest

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 09:29:28 AM »

P.S. Have recently had a chest xray, and my lungs are the same as a non smoker, and my oxygen saturation is 99% which is excellent and better than a lot of never smokers my age! xxxxx

babyjane

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 10:15:23 AM »

thanks for clearing that up Tempest x

Annie0710

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 10:47:40 AM »

I'm a vaper, love blueberry flavour and mine is a baby slim penlike battery, no smoke going everywhere

I gave up smoking cold turkey in 2012 and 9 months in I nearly caved in and a friend lent me hers to try

I don't intend to give up, Drs and dentist both know I vape and I'm asthmatic (allergy induced)

I never have a cough since giving up smoking.  Only a smoker/ex smoker can truly understand the pleasure vaping can give, it's my Buddy and I'm not giving up for anyone and like when I was a smoker, I'm respectful of those around me and if it doesn't feel right, it stays in my bag

DaisyB

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 10:58:10 AM »

I recently gave up - cold turkey  :o  think the cbd oil definitely did something to take craving away because I just stopped ( was on/off secret smoker for years) not really a lot but sometimes up to 5 a day. Still hated the smell of it of others though  ???  Hubbie decided to go for it two weeks ago - he almost caved after few days until I gave him my vaper - I'd bought it but not needed it. So now he is into 3rd week - for first time in 20 years! Smoke free - don't knock them ladies - they are saving lives in my opinion. He is very respectful of others and treats it like he would a cigarette- that's how it should be. I was concerned about long term use and looked at research ( not nearly enough I know) but the alternative is much worse. He gets oil from reputable seller and I tell him to minimise additives etc

His mum died of lung cancer 3 years ago - I only wish vapes had been developed much sooner - who knows we might have still had her with us if they had.  :(

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 01:11:12 PM »

Tnx. The  ones I smell have vanilla in them ........ anyone know of any Research on the effects?

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 12:16:12 PM »

Tnx.

zelda

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 10:54:16 AM »

My husband gave up smoking for vaping 2 years ago and the improvement in his health is amazing. He looks 10 years younger and with a recent check x ray his lungs are clear. He smoked 20+ cigs for 55 years.

Michael Mosely did a Horizon programme  on Vaping a few months back and it has confirmed that it is 95% safer than smoking a cigarette.

The vapour that comes from the pipe is basically water, same as you would get from a kettle so totally harmless.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 11:38:43 AM »

Vaping hasn't been around long enough to find out the long-term effects.  Also, those choosen in the very small sample (181) were from Greater London  :-\. why not choose an area where there is less pollution?

zelda

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 08:38:47 AM »

I recently gave up - cold turkey  :o  think the cbd oil definitely did something to take craving away because I just stopped ( was on/off secret smoker for years) not really a lot but sometimes up to 5 a day. Still hated the smell of it of others though  ???  Hubbie decided to go for it two weeks ago - he almost caved after few days until I gave him my vaper - I'd bought it but not needed it. So now he is into 3rd week - for first time in 20 years! Smoke free - don't knock them ladies - they are saving lives in my opinion. He is very respectful of others and treats it like he would a cigarette- that's how it should be. I was concerned about long term use and looked at research ( not nearly enough I know) but the alternative is much worse. He gets oil from reputable seller and I tell him to minimise additives etc

His mum died of lung cancer 3 years ago - I only wish vapes had been developed much sooner - who knows we might have still had her with us if they had.  :(

If everyone that smoked switched to Vaping it is estimated that it would safe 3 Billion lives worldwide, that would be amazing. Switching needs to be encouraged.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2017, 10:52:32 AM »

As does stopping completely ?  ;)

Annie0710

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2017, 10:58:47 AM »

Thats an understandable statement from a non smoker CLKD, like I can say it's easy to switch from smoking to vaping because I did it, completely different story for the person doing it

I vowed when I gave up I'd never be a preacher and I've stuck to that, my dad was a chain smoker when I was a kid and gave up yet my god did he moan and preach after about smokers
Pages: [1] 2 3