Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Mr and Mrs George Clooney welcome twins  (Read 13356 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Mr and Mrs George Clooney welcome twins
« on: June 06, 2017, 10:41:38 PM »

Amal Clooney has given birth to twins - a girl named Ella and a boy named Alexander.

:congrats:  some happy news for a change

Dana

Re: Mr and Mrs George Clooney welcome twins
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 05:55:36 AM »

Congratulations to both of them, but TBH I'd be a very offended to only be referred to as "Mrs Husband's Name" and not my own name, as per the title of this thread. That's an incredibly old fashioned thing to do. It's like she's not getting any recognition in her own right for all her hard work.

Cassie

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 06:05:55 AM »

So happy for them, good heavens, so much to bother about in the world at the moment, I wouldnt lose sleep over the fact that her husbands surname has been used tad trivial. Well done to the Clooneys... :)

peri

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 08:17:41 AM »

It makes a change to have some good news + I like their choice of names.  I've got to say though lots of 'stars' are opting for designer twins, I think they must all be going to the same clinic x

cubagirl

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 09:00:55 AM »

Dana I got a telling off from daughter for doing that when sending a card. Only did it once! 😂

There are pictures of Amal with a bump. Love the normal names of Ella & Alexander.

Dana

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 10:09:42 AM »

So happy for them, good heavens, so much to bother about in the world at the moment, I wouldnt lose sleep over the fact that her husbands surname has been used tad trivial. Well done to the Clooneys... :)

It's not the Clooney surname I commented on. A woman makes her own choice about what surname she uses. However I'm sure Amal didn't change her name to "Mrs George Clooney". I'm pretty sure she kept her own first name.

I find it really grates on me. I'm actually surprised that anyone of our generation thinks it's socially acceptable these days. Didn't we already win that particular fight - the right to our own name?

Cassie

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 10:24:32 AM »

My mums always addressed mail that way and I did the same I dont find it offensive at all, quite nice actually... ;)

cubagirl

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 10:31:30 AM »

Different generations Cassie, I don't have a problem with it myself, but our daughter made her feelings quite clear, saying she agreed to take her husband's surname only. That was me told! I respect her feelings.

ancient runner

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 12:29:33 PM »

I think calling them Mr and Mrs George Clooney is dreadful, personally. That etiquette dates from when married women were legally their partner's property. Amal Clooney is 39 and has achieved as much in her own right if not more than her heart-throb, coffee-loving actor husband.
I try to address cards to friends as they wish to be addressed, not how I wish to address them.
I made it clear when I married that I wasn't changing my name but if older rellies prefer to address Christmas cards in (non-existent) married names then I am not going to be rude to them - and I notice that over the years, they've changed.

babyjane

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 01:31:33 PM »

I have always addressed envelopes to Mr (man's name or initials) and Mrs (woman's name or initials) then the surname, eg Mr Fred and Mrs Betty Bloggs. My mother in law used to address letters and cards as Mr and Mrs (husband's name) then surname as in the title of this thread because she would have loved to erase me from the family if she could have  It really got up my nose  >:(

Cassie

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 01:50:11 PM »

I dont think this thread was meant to be about what its become, just to celebrate the joyous ocassion of new birth after whats been a really lousy week.. :'(

peri

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 01:56:11 PM »

:yes:

cubagirl

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 02:22:56 PM »

Can't wait to see photos of them, bound to be gorgeous!  :)

babyjane

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2017, 02:44:33 PM »

like all conversations irl, it has meandered  :-X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2017, 02:49:22 PM »

Crikey Dana get off your high horse!  In these days of people dying on UK streets I thought a little Good News would be welcomed, not pulled apart  :bang: :bang: :bang:  my Mum taught me that if one doesn't have something good to say, to keep Big Gob shut.

I have to add that it never crossed my mind that it shouldn't be Mr and Mrs ........ I wasn't even thinking of the 'correct' way even though I am a secretary and was taught proper!!!!   I have always been Mrs Hismself and PROUD to be so!

... and don't get me started on people dying to give *me* the Vote 'cos they didn't - they did it for themselves.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 03:01:14 PM by CLKD »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4