Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Are you getting all the good food that you should?  (Read 14116 times)

Billie Blaster

Are you getting all the good food that you should?
« on: June 01, 2017, 07:10:32 AM »

Hello all,

Haven't posted here for years, but thought I would just quickly share this link to a study about lower stress for the middle aged who eat lots of fruit and vegetables. It's gotta be good! (Except that it talks about 'serves' instead of 'servings' which mildly irritates me):

http://www.goodfood.com.au/good-health/research-shows-eating-fruit-and-veg-beats-the-middleage-blues-20170315-guz7ql

Bye for now,

Billie

Maryjane

Re: Are you getting all the good food that you should?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 07:49:23 AM »

Dr Micheal Mosleys book " the clever guts diet " is excellent . £3.85 on Amazon.

" All disease starts in the guts " Hippocrates of Kos, the father of modern medicine.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 07:53:11 AM »

Thanks Billie Blaster - as expected, research is increasingly demonstrating the health benefits of lots of fruit and vegetables and a great variety. These form a huge part of my daily diet.:)

Hurdity x

Mbrown001

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 08:13:54 AM »

I love fruit and veg but for those of us with IBS then sometimes it really isn't possible.
In order to be able to get out in the morning I have to limit the kind of fruit and veg I eat.
As Taz said in another topic even peas can be problematic.

Great in theory though just not in practice

Mrs Brown

babyjane

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 03:52:39 PM »

I have definitely not had good food today and will pay the price tomorrow.  We were given a posh afternoon tea at a hotel for a birthday treat and it would have been churlish not to go but I can feel the effects already and I didn't eat all of mine.  Hubby did more than justice to his though  ::)  :cupcake:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 08:52:29 PM »

Good thread!  Maryjane - have you read the whole book yet?   I would like him to have included a diagram of the digestive system a bit remiss I feel!!!  ???  !!!!  I can't juggle the anatomy book and his book on the bed  ::) - I watched his recent programme too.

I wrote down what I actually eat in a 'usual' day and it ain't much at all  :-\ and certainly not as much fruit/veg that I should be getting down me, have decided to buy more tinned fruits and have added bananas, celery, grapes and prunes to my shopping list for the weekend but don't want to begin a new regime as we have a busy weekend ahead  ::)

Mbrown001

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 09:06:27 PM »

Not sure that tinned fruit is all that good. Perhaps in the wintertime CLKD. Have you looked at the in season things. Strawberries and raspberries especially.
My DD buys the frozen fruits that you can whizz into smoothies. That could be an option. We put a dollop of natural yogurts and then blend. I can't have much due to my IBS but I have a " taste" of everything.
Homemade soups are also a good way of getting in veg. Salads at this time of year as things like baby spinach dont need cooking. Asparagus, kale, all easy to steam or eat raw. The supermarkets are full of this kind of thing.  Have you had a browse for the easy stuff.

I just wish I could eat what I want with no thought to the after effects.

Mrs Brown.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 02:13:44 PM »

I realised today what a problem when shopping is: Himself will pick up every packet/box/food stuff and read how much per gram and probably put it back onto the shelf whereas I grab what I fancy in the moment.  So today I 'got on with it'! there is a bowl of plums [they need to ripen], 4 small bananas, box of 'cotton' grapes, box of strawberries [although I don't like them much], fresh peas for podding straight into my gob - must be careful not to eat too many or I'll be complaining later  ::): as well as some tinned fruits, two pots of LIVE yoghurt ....... watch this space  ???

Have finished Dr Mosely's book apart from the recipes.

Maryjane

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 02:25:53 PM »

Yes CLKD I have read it in a day , like big print . I found it really easy for average Jo public to understand without baffling us with science , my daughter has bought it also.

I eat as he says anyway , but good to understand the reasoning , I gave up sugar ( went cold turkey ) along time ago , but if I do have the odd treat I feel awful.

To get rid of the sugar need , o do what he does and eat some 90% dark chocolate love it now , wipes sugar pans dead.

Love sauerkraut and all that , we have put veg delivered weekly from a organic farm , it has cur d any very fussiness as I eat whatever is in the box regardless, as it changes each week on a 4 week cycle.

Cooked apple with cinnamon I have for breakfast every am also along with porridge / all sorts of ground up nuts / seeds fresh blueberries/ mixed with kefir, homemade bread ( hubby makes ) and some natural yogurt , which I am going to have ago at making as apparently very cheap and easy.

Also going to make my own saukraut.

Maryjane

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 02:40:24 PM »

Excellent video too watch is this. 15 mins worth it IMO. 😊

https://youtu.be/gaY4m00wXpw

Wrensong

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 05:20:14 PM »

Love fruit & veg, both cooked and in salads.  Tend to get way more than 5 a day!  I try to avoid anything with added sugar (gastritis), except baked beans & a little 70% dark choc, though for years made our own baked beans without sugar - so much tastier than tinned!  I agree about home made soups being a great way to get veg into the diet and cooking veg definitely makes it easier on a sensitive tummy.

I stew tart-tasting eating apples such as Cox with blackberries (no sugar) - lovely with porridge or a home made cereal mix, moistened with plenty of yoghurt whisked with milk.  Baked plums are also delicious cooled and eaten with cereals & the yoghurt mix.  I like the mild tasting natural yoghurt brands & buy the high protein types to slow digestion & stabilise blood sugar.  It is certainly easy to make your own yoghurt, especially with a yoghurt maker.  Also tried & failed to make kefir in mine (with shop bought kefir as a starter) & have baulked at buying the kefir grains, for fear the stuff would die when we go away on hols!   

Used to eat a lot of veggie meals, but these days, have a good portion of protein with every meal to minimise hypoglycaemia.  Beans, nuts & eggs don't seem enough, so we now eat fish or meat every day.  Also eat all sorts of nuts & seeds.

Made all our bread for a couple of years but the lazy way - soda bread - as can't be bothered with all that kneading & proving!  These days I buy a thin, small-sliced, wholegrain bread, but only eat a slice or two a day, as too much wheat is sadly for me, tummy clogging.  I love stodgy whole rye bread that's really substantial & suety, toasted on one side, spread with good olive oil & well seasoned with s&p or buttered if I'm feeling reckless!  To avoid overdosing on wheat I use GF pastas & basmati rice, brown, wild & red Camargue. 

For some reason I can't fathom, since peri, oily fish guarantees night sweats will be worse, even though the fish is eaten hours before, at lunch time :o  Sounds barking admitting that & it took me a long time to put 2 & 2 together, but it does seem to be a fact!  Another of the unimaginably weird things I could never have dreamed would come with menopause.  We also eat white fish & a lot of chicken, but not much red meat. 

Because of osteopenia I try to get lots of dairy & tend to soup up cottage cheese by adding something tastier.  Love all cheese but especially brie left out to soften, proper feta, goats cheese & vintage cheddar.  I don't go overboard though, as want to keep cholesterol healthy but get a bit fed up the goal posts keep moving on that one  ::)  If any of that sounds worthy, I relax it at weekends & on hols & think a little of what you fancy is a very good thing (and a lot is even better!)  Love cooking, but cook far less from scratch these days - hot kitchen, sleep-deprived cook & sharp knives to hand mean only fools rush in to interfere.

IBS-C means I'm obsessive about fibre & get upset when I hear the old advice that a high fibre diet, together with drinking plenty & exercising ensures a clockwork gut.  It certainly doesn't work that way for everyone!  I've also taken probiotics for decades, as a good friend was involved in early R&D for these.

As I've got older, sympathy has grown for anyone who struggles to find a diet that suits them well, as when the digestive tract malfunctions in whatever way, simplistic dietary advice that doesn't work for you can make you feel a failure.  It can take an age to work out what's causing problems & it rarely seems to be just one food group! 

My bookshelves are groaning under the weight of cook books, nutrition manuals, gut books . . . I know, should get out more!  That said, with the fantastic range of foods available these days, I still find it easy to eat well & enjoyably.

Maryjane

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 05:27:52 PM »

Yes homemade baked beans are delicious and very easy to make .

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 05:35:29 PM »

I can no longer eat Baked Beans  :-X

babyjane

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 06:16:07 PM »

Fibre aggravates my IBS.  It's difficult as Fybogel is helpful for constipation but causes gut spasms, wind and bloating.  My gut is sluggish and I think the waste takes too long to pass through, thereby losing water and becoming hard and dry. Lactulose is helpful, Movicol is not  :-X This all serves to aggravate the old piles too  ::).

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 06:49:11 PM »

Get some 'motillium' BJ - swallowed within an hour of the main meals it helps ease anything left over in the stomach/small colon so that there is room for the next meal.

I've had baked trout, English asparagus and new potatoes with butter and black pepper
Pages: [1] 2 3 4