Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Acid indigestion or gallbladder ?  (Read 4650 times)

groundhog

Acid indigestion or gallbladder ?
« on: May 17, 2017, 09:30:04 AM »

Morning ladies,
was really poorly yesterfsy with what i can only describe as acid reflux.  when in hospital they routinely give you omeprazole to reduce stomach acid even though ive never had this problem before.  when I was discharged i stopped taking them.  my diet is ok but on Monday I ate a very chocolatey dessert and the discomfort started after that.  yesterday i was very uncomfortable - going doctors crossed my mind.  really tender in stomach area and acidy sick coming into mouth.
has anyine else had rhis ?  do you think i should restart the omeprazole or is increased acid a side effect on stopping the drug ?
first time ive eaten chocolate too - wobder if that is the culprit.
sems better today but niw scared to eat.
( sorry about typos keyboard playing up )
thanks ladies xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Acid indigestion or gallbladder ?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 09:37:21 AM »

Morning!

Yep.  I find various food stuffs cause reflux and indigestion, I can wake in the night thinking it's my heart  ::).  Chocolate can do it for me as can toast with butter. 

I try not to eat/drink too late otherwise the minute I lay down it starts.  I find rennies really useful.  The drug that you have been prescribed can cause other problems  ::). - Dr James le Fanu has several articles in the telegraph medical pages on a Monday.  If I have time I'll bump them for you.

Try not to worry too much.  Probably unrelated to gallbladder but 'age' related.  Eat little and often.  Dry biscuits. Ginger is very good as is LIVE yoghurt to layer the gut.  ........ and breath!   :hug:

groundhog

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 09:45:23 AM »

Thanks CLKD - ill google the article

Mbrown001

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 10:47:01 AM »

It's probably the bounce back from your pills. They are famous for it. Try Gavisvon Advance
Not the ordinary one as it's pretty useless to be honest.

Mrs Brown

groundhog

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 11:29:11 AM »

:thankyou: Mrs B x

wombat62

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 11:34:19 AM »

Hi GH

Maybe it's the richness of the chocolate dessert as chocolate can be a bit acidic. Plus you've not eaten all sorts of things for a while so something must have upset your tum.

I used to get reflux off and on before the gallbladder saga but I rarely get it now. This was either becsuse I lost weight, changed diet or because one doc thought I might have an ulcer and put me on a months course of something! Having said that I had some soup today which must have had something a bit acid in it which caused some refux today!

I think you'll find its just been a bit rich for you, I can't eat very much rich food or anything too creamy.

If it persists then mention it to your doc next time. I find adding a little bit of coconut milk or yoghurt to a tomato based sauce just takes away the acid in it.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 03:37:09 PM »

Ditch the tomatoes  :-\ ..........

LIVE yoghurt can ease the digestive system from gob to ........ eaten regularly it can be soothing.

groundhog

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 09:44:33 PM »

Thanks all.  things moved on a bit as i developed a high temperature this evening.  i have been to out of hours doctor who was excellent.  i have a urine infection so hes given me a broad spectrum antibiotic thst shoukd deal with all the bugs that are flying around in me.  im really hoping i feel better - he nearly admitted me owing to history but respected ny wishes and said i seem to know what im doing lol. 

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 09:46:00 PM »

Oh it never stops 4 U!  Hopefully he sent the urine sample away though to a Lab.!!!!! one can't tell by a dip stick test. 

groundhog

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 10:06:50 PM »

Yes he was very thorough CLKD - the antibiotics will be adjusted if need be based on the lab results. 

Evelyn63

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 02:44:31 PM »

At least it's reassuring to know what was causing you to feel unwell Groundhog.  Hopefully once the sensitivities come back, you will be on the right antibiotic or if not can get it .  Sparkle made an excellent point in that stopping PPI's suddenly can have side effects, like you described, and best to reduce them gradually .

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 03:57:41 PM »

Any improvement?

groundhog

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 11:57:22 AM »

Well I'm almost embarrassed to say it turned out to be gallbladder ( plus urine infection). My blood test showed abnormal lft again and I became very itchy and felt awful.  This has been rumbling for a while and I know I have small gallstones but even small ones can cause problems if they move. 
I think I feel marginally better today, tenderness has gone and have some appetite.  Going to try little walk on beach xx

wombat62

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 12:23:57 PM »

Oh no! That's all you need on top of everything else!

Keep off rich, creamy and obviously fatty foods to keep them under control. Trouble is with gallstones they can give off lots of different types of pain/discomfort, I certainly wasn't text book! I had no problems in between attacks. Yes, small ones can be more pesky than large ones as they can escape.

Hope they settle down again and enjoy your walk!

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2017, 01:38:24 PM »

Enjoy your walk!!!