Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Diabetes  (Read 4072 times)

Madge11

Diabetes
« on: March 25, 2017, 11:19:31 PM »

I had a hysterectomy (due to endometrial cancer at age 44) and went through a traumatic surgical menopause almost 10 years ago.  My symptoms were bad for five years and gone by seven years.
Last month I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and since then I have been following a low carb diet, doing finger **** tests and my glucose is coming down slowly.
However, I have started getting night sweats again, and they gradually seem to be getting worse, lasting from the evening, waking drenched during the night and and the odd one which usually wakes me up.  I'm also very tearful and anxious.  I feel menopausal again  >:(
I saw the diabetic nurse at my GP's surgery on Friday for the first time but there was so much to take in I didn't remember to ask. 
I just wondered if anyone else had experienced this, and if so, when my sugar levels are stable will they go away again? 

coldethyl

Re: Diabetes
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 08:34:59 AM »

Diabetes can make you have night sweats - it was one of the symptoms that prompted my GP to test me for it - I found once my numbers under control that they improved though I still get them especially since having hysterectomy for cancer last year.

matildamouse

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 09:03:58 AM »

Have you lost weight on the low carb diet? When I lost about 13kg at age 49, my hot flushes and night sweats started as apparently estrogen is stored in fat, so it can play a role. Since on HRT, the flushes and sweats stopped, though recently I lost just a few kgs more and had to increase my HRT as they returned.

matildamouse

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 09:05:33 AM »

Wanted to add eating low carb is definitely the way to go. I was also borderline type 2 diabetic and totaaly reversed that as well as my fatty liver by eating low carb. 

Madge11

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 07:44:42 AM »

Thanks everyone for your comments.  Now I know I'm not the only one.  Hopefully my sugar will be under control soon and I look forward to getting rid of the hot flushes!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 02:43:29 PM »

There's a cat in the UK that can tell when her owner's blood sugars are dropping so becomes agitated, uses paws on her face etc., cat is now in the running for an Award  :)

Mbrown001

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 02:53:44 PM »

Have you done a test during the night when you have a sweat.

My hubby is Type 1 and if he sweats during the night and is restless it's a sure sign that his blood sugars are getting very low.

Might be worth experimenting as its all to easy to blame everything on the meno.

Mrs Brown

Yammy1

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 03:37:53 PM »

I've been type two for a number of years, but I find with meno it's getting harder to control, gloucose readings getting higher, not sure if sweats are meno related or diabetis related but I know on the very odd occasion I get a normal or low reading I feel colder, so maybe check finger during the night just to see how your doing

Madge11

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 06:12:19 PM »

I've stuck to the low carb diet and my sugars are pretty much under control now.  Thankfully night sweats are mostly gone too  :)  Thanks again for all your comments

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 07:29:15 PM »

Tnx for the update!

Mbrown001

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 09:27:50 PM »

I didn't realise that CLKD had bumped an old topic.

I really should look at the dates on things  ::)

Glad all is good for you now Madge 11

Mrs Brown

Ju Ju

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 05:57:11 AM »

My Mum has has type 2 diabetes, which she has had since her early 60s, now almost 90. She has managed it with diet and it was not an issue until recently, as balancing her glucose levels is difficult alongside other health challenges, including keeping weight on. I was warned I had insulin resistance by my gynaecologist and have been able to, hopefully, avoid diabetes through dietary adjustments. All my Mums siblings had diabetes, but didn't adjust their diets. They are no longer alive, but Mum is! So keep doing what you are doing. You are following the most healthy diet, hopefully, that everyone should follow.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2017, 12:02:00 PM »

I bumped it due to the cat ....... but that seems to have been missed too  :-\

Mbrown001

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2017, 02:38:36 PM »

Read about the cat in the BBC news.

Animals are wonderful really and that is a very old cat.

Thanks CLKD

Mrs Brown

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2017, 08:49:53 PM »

You're welcome.  20 isn't old ....... my friend's deaf tabby was 25 I would blow on her fur so that she didn't jump when asleep, being stroked may have shortened those last few years  ::)