Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Codeine 30mg for shoulder pain  (Read 12890 times)

Dede

Codeine 30mg for shoulder pain
« on: May 01, 2017, 05:12:43 PM »

Hello all

I've just been prescribed 30mg of codeine and paracetemol for an inflamation in my shoulder. ( Had x ray and all ok ) Got to see physiotherapist.
Im a bit wary about taking the codeine ( I was given then at A@E)  even though I know  it's what I need and wondered if anyone has any advice etc on how to limit the side effects etc. I should have asked while I was I was at A@E really but I was so relieved to be
be given some pain relief that I didn't think about the negative effects.
Any advice much appreciated. Deedee

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Codeine 30mg for shoulder pain
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 05:15:34 PM »

Codeine can become addictive.  Some of the strong pain relief makes me vomit.  Pharacetamol must be used with caution.

Maybe ring a Pharmacist in the morning for advice?  Does either an ice-pack or a warm bottle ease symptoms.  Do you have restriction of movement? 

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 05:36:33 PM »

What about volteral or ibuleve - both anti inflammatories that you simply rub into the area - can be very effective and safer to use. DG x

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 05:45:11 PM »

>wave DG<

bramble

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 06:01:50 PM »

Was given co-codamol 30/500 last year when I had pleurisy. 8 tablets a day for weeks. The doctor told me that if I was taking them for real pain I would not become addicted. But they were the only pain killer that worked. I did use to take them a long time ago for migraines - still do, but only 2 or at the most 4 for a day. Stopped them no bother but I did decreased the dosage every day before I stopped.
Only side effect was constipation.
Like most things, as long as you are sensible, they will cause no problems.

Bramble

Annie0710

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 06:44:48 PM »

I was on a cocktail of them when I slipped a disc and I'm sure it was them that gave me awful constipation so make sure you're seeing to that end too

I can't tolerate them now, they make me feel so spaced out x

breeze

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 07:16:33 PM »

I can't take them at all. They make me feel seriously weird.

I was also given them for shoulder pain but the thing that helped the most was hot and cold compresses (a flannel). The doc advised this but I did not think it would work. It worked a treat.

As for pain killers try paracetamol and nurophen together.

Dede

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 07:38:17 PM »

Thank you all for your replies.
I don't have any limited movement, I do Taichi and I'm fairly supple really  although
my joints tend to creak. I used to take cod liver oil capsules for my joints but
it upset my stomach so had to stop.
The dr at the hospital said I had a chronic muscle and nerve problem and prescribed
the codeine, I'm just concerned about the affects it can have particularly on my
stomach.I've got carpal tunnel as well which makes my hand throb.
I've had a lot of problems with my stomach in the past, mostly stress related, I'm really
anxious about the codeine creating more problems

Mbrown001

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 07:56:29 PM »

I can't take them either. They make me feel very strange and upset my stomach.
I know this will be frowned on but a short term course of three paracetamol every four hours really does work. You really do have to take a larger dose and be strict enough to take them when you should.
This was told to me by my GP when I had a wrist inflammation. I know it's more than the recommended dose so it's best to check with a pharmacist or GP before hand.
Also the Voltarol 12 hour gel is excellent. So much better than any other anti inflammatory gels. Again please check with a pharmacist.
Also a combination of hot bags and then cold packs can help. Cold packs are best for inflammation.
Get your pillows sorted before bed to make sure you are properly supported and comfortable.

Mrs Brown

Dede

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 08:20:09 PM »

Its reassuring to know that I'm not alone in being reluctant to take the codeine.
Part of me feels that I should be taking the drs advice after going to A@E in the first
place though. I think I'll try and get to see my own Dr tomorrow .
Dede

countrybumpkin

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 01:06:10 PM »

I have the opposite problem and opoid painkillers just don't work for me at all plus over a certain dosage they make me feel as if I can't breathe!!  Trust me.
They do though cause really bad constipation as they slow the gut down alot.  Even at 60mg dose they would really affect my bowel and I am never constipated normally. Above 40mg and they really make me feel as I am struggling to breathe.

I would say take as little as possible to get some pain relief and try eveyrthing else like ice or heat. Be careful with anti inflammatories as they irritate even someone with a cast iron stomach, I have hiatus hernia so can't go near them or have severe acid reflux. Most Dr prescribe a proton pump inhibitor stomach tablet at same time if they give prescription strength anti inflams.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 03:00:35 PM »

Make sure that you take the correct medication for the correct symptoms.  I take large doses of Nurofen when necessary but haven't come to any harm, I have to keep the pain levels absent otherwise .......  :-\

Speak to a Pharmacist  :-\ ..........

Katejo

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 10:59:18 PM »

Its reassuring to know that I'm not alone in being reluctant to take the codeine.
Part of me feels that I should be taking the drs advice after going to A@E in the first
place though. I think I'll try and get to see my own Dr tomorrow .
Dede
I have only ever taken codeine once. It made me so sick and dizzy that I have refused to touch it since.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 12:32:19 PM »

How R U this morning?

nearly50

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 01:30:37 PM »

I've only taken codeine once, never again. Felt completely out of it.

A bit of a long shot, but how's your vitamin D levels? I had really bad muscle pain and spent a fortune on physio and oesteopathy - became far more manageable once I got my vitamin D levels up which may or may not be a coincidence.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5