Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Swelling and pain/soreness in one breast  (Read 1513 times)

Belladonna

Swelling and pain/soreness in one breast
« on: April 16, 2017, 08:33:01 AM »

Could sudden swelling in one breast be caused by changes in hormones? I added a 25 mcg estrogen patch to my dose (100 mcg estrogen/250 mcg progesterone) as I felt I needed more at my young age, and after 2 days one of my breasts was very swollen. Have of course removed the patch but it's still swollen. I have had breast surgery over 2 years ago and my initial feeling was that it was related to the surgery, late infection/fluid/bleeding. Got an appointment after Easter to get it checked out. But could it simply be hormonal? I have experienced in the past that my breasts are reactive to hormones but the swelling has previously always been the same in both breasts. Has anyone experienced swelling of only one breast?

Hurdity

Re: Swelling and pain/soreness in one breast
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 05:01:53 PM »

Hi Belladonna

Looks like your post got missed due to the hols - hope you haven't despaired of anyone answering!

I can't really help much here - but just to say I used to get mastitis when breast-feeding my babies and it used to affect one breast especially, and also before this I used to get breast pain in one particular breast, and mine are also different sizes - so I imagine depending on a variety of factors they may or may not both react in the same way.

Yes changes in hormone doses and levels ( both of progesterone and oestrogen) can cause pain and temporary swelling in breasts but it is always worth getting symptoms checked out if you are worried.

Do be sure also to check your breasts regularly so that you get to know them and always be alert for any lumps and bumps, especially something new.

Let us know how you got on with your appointment?

Hurdity x