Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rollercoaster Hrt  (Read 2832 times)

Jimsmrs

Rollercoaster Hrt
« on: April 04, 2017, 12:14:13 PM »

Hi I'm new
I'm 59 post menopausal..I take Levothyroxine 100mcg, Sertraline and Premique low dose..

I was started on the low dose last year, but when the chemist couldn't get the low dose Premique for my repeat prescription,
the Dr put me on the high dose
, a 3 month pack. After the 3 months, the chemist again had problems getting the high dose Premique, so was switch back to the low dose..but feel rubbish, no sweats but really bad anxiety and dread, morning nausea, no enthusiasm or energy..I went back to Drs and she told me to up my sertraline to 75mg, from 50mg...
Have heard Premique is being discontinued

Has anyone else had any similar problems??
Thanks for reading

dazned

Re: Rollercoaster Hrt
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 12:35:58 PM »

:welcomemm:

As I understand it premique is being discontinued. Maybe have a look at the pull down tabs at top of page under treatments there you will find a list of hrt treatments,low,med, etc doses. Hope you soon settle on a new regime.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 04:57:25 PM »

Hi Jimsmrs

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about your recurring symptoms. Unfortunately once your body had acclimatised to the higher dose, then reducing from this can cause a recurrence of symptoms.

As dazned says there are all sorts of different HRT types that may well suit you - and you might have to ride through a few side effects while your body adjusts.

If the symptoms are due to the hormonal changes or changes in your HRT then increasing your ADs is not the most appropriate solution and I would suggest you try to find something suitable rather than keep on increasing those meds if you can - despite what the doctor says  - unless you have had a history of anxiety/depression all your life for which you take the ADs and you feel that life changes have caused you  to feel like you do.

I hope you find something that works for you :)

Hurdity x

Jimsmrs

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 06:22:12 PM »

Thanks for your reply

Yes I've been on sertraline for about 7yrs after being diagnosed with Anxiety/Depression due to me having a really bad virus that left me with chronic fatigue syndrome, at the time  I'd also not long moved from Liverpool to Scotland and was finding it really hard to settle. Then my Thyroid went haywire.

Spoke to a different Dr today and she said to finish the pack of 3 I'm on, just started the last strip, as it usually takes 3 months to start working, she said my system is looking for the higher dose, the extra 25mg is to take the edge off, but, once I become more stable 😳 I can wean down the Sertraline again..7 yrs ago I was started on 200mg.

Sorry to drone on....again!!!!

I'll see how I go, if no better then I'll get another appointment with another Gp in the practice

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 07:14:26 PM »

Jimsmrs- being a scot myself and living here, no wonder you're depressed :lol
Seriously, try another GP in your practice or get a referral to a menopause clinic. Not sure where in Scotland you are but there's a few. print off the HRT info on this site and take it along to the docs with you. Book a double appointment so you've got time to discuss.

You may need an AD to help but goodness me, I'm not convinced that upping your Setraline dose is the way to go?

Let us know how you get on x

Jimsmrs

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 07:42:07 PM »

Hi
Thanks..I'm in East Lothian..read your reply so googled menopause clinics there's an NHS one in Edinburgh..but a 3 month waiting list.

will let you know how I get on... and thanks again 👍

Lesley

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 07:54:49 PM »

Self refer if you can or get GP referral or pay for private consultation if you can. In meantime, go back to GP with double appointment and take print out with you...
Also for your own peace of mind, read Nice guidelines on treatment of depression for menopausal/ peri women. Too many GPs hand out AD's like sweeties.

I'm the other side of the country... what's the best thing to come out of Edinburgh?....
The M8!

Keep your chin up chica and let us know how you get on x

Jimsmrs

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 12:13:53 PM »

Hi
Went back to another Gp last Wednesday, hubby came too
as I was a gibbering wreck, with no appetite and awful diarrhoea..and a feeling of being poisoned
She told me to stop taking Premique straight away, she gave me Kliovance 1mg/0.5g, I started them that evening and felt
10 times worse the next day, and I've had numbness in my hands...I haven't taken them since
Anyone else had these strange experiences??

Tempest

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 12:30:45 PM »

Jimsmrs, I'm in Scotland too!

Can I say that if you have thyroid issues, any HRT should be handled by an endocrinologist. Adding HRT can knock the thyroid balance skew whiff and your thyroid hormones will need to be monitored and adjusted. It can make you feel pretty poorly!

If you're not currently seeing an Endo., the best thing to do before you proceed further is to ask your GP for a referral. These guys really know their stuff - Menopause Clinics don't have the expertise of the whole endocrine system like Endo.'s do (which includes the ovaries, of course)!

Sending you hugs - and do go and see the GP as soon as you can for that referral. A lot of time and anxiety can be wasted in tinkering in the dark that may not help you in the long run. Good luck! xxxxx

Jimsmrs

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 12:46:19 PM »

Thanks for your reply Tempest..
Going to try and get another appointment tomorrow, if I can get out of bed to go, can't understand why I felt so good on the high dose Premique, then as soon as it was switched to low dose I went down hill,

Where in Scotland are you?

Jimsmrs

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2017, 12:58:26 PM »

Forgot to say I was under an Endo and once I'd had the RAI cos mine was extremely over active, and he got me settled on the thyroxine he discharged me to the care of the GP...he didn't want me to take HRT, wasn't on it then, should have listened to him, shouldn't I??😢

Tempest

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 03:07:40 PM »

Oh, you wee soul! No - your GP should have just referred you, tis all! You need extra TLC with the thyroid issue - it's tricky, but not impossible in the right hands to get a good balance with HRT and thyroid meds.

I may have 'something' thyroid going on - possibly secondary hypothyroidism so I'm just waiting for my appointment to come through with Professor McIntyre at the Royal Alexandra Hospital. I've stopped HRT in the meantime for a couple of reasons (you can see my other posts if you like - I'm a complex case)!

I'm over near Glasgow, by the way! Also English, but married a Scot for my sins! :D

babyjane

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2017, 03:47:16 PM »

I have Hashimoto's autoimmune hypothyroidism and it is one of the reasons I did not go down the HRT route.  It was difficult stabilising my thyroid and at menopause it became very up and down so adding HRT in as well would have made matters 10 times worse.

Tempest

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2017, 08:09:32 PM »

Babyjane, it's so tricky isn't it? Another lovely lady on the forums, Joesmum, has had extreme difficulty with HRT and her hypothyroidism and has to work very closely with her endocrinologist. She's one of the surgical menopause ladies. If her estrogen goes too high and her thyroid meds. aren't balanced, it all goes completely haywire!

I can totally understand your decision. xxxx

babyjane

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2017, 07:51:29 AM »

:thankyou: for your kind reply.  Now I am well post meno and the symptoms are milder and under control it is not such an issue.  My thyroid levels are more stable now and I don't neet HRT.
Pages: [1] 2